The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd throw a custom airfilter in personally and get the air drawing from as high as possible (4" snorkel)
Get the cold air feeding her.

@J2P got me thinking. I like the idea of using a big diesel stock air box vs buying an expensive custom one. Eyeing up this one. My coworker has this year duramax I think so I will try and take measurements. Would need to make something for the intake side though for colder air.

EDIT:
My coworker has a 2012 and they have a square air box. I will have to take some measurements on his. I like the little air flow meter this one has on it.
08 chevy duramax 6.6L OEM air intake and filter box stock | eBay

Last edited:
image.png
image.jpeg

So I just picked up a 6.4l diesel F250 air box off eBay for $50 shipped. I chose this one because the intake on the box appeared to be the best to connect to a snorkel eventually. It seems to flow enough for hopped up 6.4's then it should flow enough for me.

That is a very cool setup... time to buy a 2nd 80.

I got impress with this hole setup ...

:rofl: 25 psi and 160 kw. That thing is wayyy overrated. All show and no go, what a :censor:box. And he needs a compound setup to run over 35 psi :flush:

For what it's worth, we have been building a custom air box for all our conversions, and we are finally going to have a set of them manufactured. The first set will sell at a discount to get some testers out there. Here's a shot of one of the test boxes in a Cummins R2.8 and a 1HD-T converted FJ62 with G-Turbo and intercooler.

This filter is from a 2001 Duramax, and the box has a 4" inlet and outlet. We tested this with a vacuum gauge and at full boost with a 1HD-FT we were within spec from Graeme. We installed an air filter service gauge before and after the mod. Before the airbox it was pegged at red just going around the block, and after we were in the green and EGT's were about 200* lower.

We have designed one box that will be used for 60's, and 80's. We even fitted one in a BJ74, and just made brackets for each application.

20170731_163224112_iOS.jpg

20171011_170144246_iOS.jpg

@torfab So your airbox would work as an upgrade for a factory HDJ81 setup? Bolt in without having to relocate anything? What is the pricetag?

It is way more restrictive than even the stock airbox is.

guess you test it ?

I know it might be restrictive but never more than the original air box ..

Will most Toyota stock air boxs fit the 1fz-fe lid? Are the bases the same diameter between the 60, 70 and 80 series?

Thanks.

IMG_2697.PNG

Last edited:
For what it's worth, we have been building a custom air box for all our conversions, and we are finally going to have a set of them manufactured. The first set will sell at a discount to get some testers out there. Here's a shot of one of the test boxes in a Cummins R2.8 and a 1HD-T converted FJ62 with G-Turbo and intercooler.

This filter is from a 2001 Duramax, and the box has a 4" inlet and outlet. We tested this with a vacuum gauge and at full boost with a 1HD-FT we were within spec from Graeme. We installed an air filter service gauge before and after the mod. Before the airbox it was pegged at red just going around the block, and after we were in the green and EGT's were about 200* lower.

We have designed one box that will be used for 60's, and 80's. We even fitted one in a BJ74, and just made brackets for each application.

View attachment 1556054

View attachment 1556055
What sort of pressure drop are you seeing at full boost. Would be nice on my 80 with 1hdt. Nice work fits in there nicely.

I think the airbox lid helped out with my truck on personally. Seemed slightly more responsive, though the limiting factor for my whole system was the 3" safari snorkel.

I think the airbox lid helped out with my truck on personally. Seemed slightly more responsive, though the limiting factor for my whole system was the 3" safari snorkel.

I'm not saying the airbox lid won't help, but when we tested a stock 1FZ lid it was still pulling too much vacuum at the turbo. Granted we were pushing 18psi of boost on a 1HD-FT, it's a bit more hungry then the stock setup.

Tor,

Do you plan on a making a 4 inch snorkel for those of us who have already installed the safari but want to get better performance out of our G turbos or the like?

Moonlight Fabs are nice, but the shipping is a killer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom