How To: Replace your own steering rack (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a low pressure return line so perhaps you could cut it close to the rack and then flare and patch up with some flex hose and clamps on re-install?

Have you damaged the low pressure line or just can't get the sucker to budge?

...what can I say, it's an LX... you're dating a supermodel.

It's a low pressure return line so perhaps you could cut it close to the rack and then flare and patch up with some flex hose and clamps on re-install?

Have you damaged the low pressure line or just can't get the sucker to budge?

...what can I say, it's an LX... you're dating a supermodel.

The fitting is getting pretty fuq'd up. I rounded it off a few times.

But yeah, I could see going the local tubing store and getting a stub if they have the right fitting and just running soft line from there. Nothing like a little booty fab for the 100/470.

Low pressure hard line NLA on eBay.

Rock Auto carries this p/n, but they are out of stock, as is all the local parts stores. I am getting pretty close to cutting this, but would like to be able to get a replacement. You can get both lines on eBay for $122:

Power Steering Pressue & Return Hose Assembly For 98-02 Land Cruiser LX470 | eBay

The 03+ line won't fit in terms of length... its supposed to make a loop through an oil cooler first. I bought the Sunsong 1998-2002 version and it fits very nicely as a replacement... just installed it a few days ago. Steering feels new after an alignment... I was way out of spec.

The 03+ line won't fit in terms of length... its supposed to make a loop through an oil cooler first. I bought the Sunsong 1998-2002 version and it fits very nicely as a replacement... just installed it a few days ago. Steering feels new after an alignment... I was way out of spec.

Where did you order the Sunsong?

Yeah, sux it's been a pita, I know you did your homework to avoid it coming out like this....
but at least nobody will park their jeep on your 100!

Tech:
Another option would be to hit up a place like 'Applied' and see if they can source a mating fitting and make up a new close-enough but top quality hose/line for you? You could take a rack in for them to match?

Yeah, sux it's been a pita, I know you did your homework to avoid it coming out like this....

Tech:
Another option would be to hit up a place like 'Applied' and see if they can source a mating fitting and make up a new close-enough but top quality hose/line for you? You could take a rack in for them to match?

Good memory mate! I am driving the Civic today, complete with gash in the hood.

Tubes N Hoses up here I think can make me a stub to accept soft line. I did not think of taking new rack to them. I was going to get the correct TRE puller (another frustration yesterday) and see if I could get old rack out tonight with old hard line in place.

Tech:

Do you recall what style puller you used on the TREs? That dust shield is so close, can't get in between dust shield and knuckle...

Do you recall what style puller you used on the TREs? That dust shield is so close, can't get in between dust shield and knuckle...
I was able to wedge a ball joint separator in there to pop the TRE from the knuckle.

I didn't sep the TRE, rather I just unthreaded the TRE's from the rack and left the TRE's on the knuckles.

Update, I found the aftermarket hose from Sunsong on e-Bay, PN 3402991. It came yesterday and I put in this morning, pic of the new hose below. It seems to be of good workmanship and had all the right bends in all the right places and fit with no problems. Best of all, it cost me 35 bucks...hopefully it lasts a good long time. Here's a pic of it as received.

tfSn2WveIbIVR9_6h-I2c3wVBQJ-falxz2bNtFsh1x1VVukoIKAiKc42apC4cHYZirlQ8t4ruw=w1343-h600-no

Now up to $55, but still available while most are only selling it w/ the high pressure line:

Sunsong North America 3402991 Power Steering Return Hose | eBay

I didn't sep the TRE, rather I just unthreaded the TRE's from the rack and left the TRE's on the knuckles.

I am glad I did not try that, the pass side TRE would not spin loose from the inner end. The inner end just rounded off, all 6 sides. I am so f'ing sick of this truck that I just left the pass side TRE on, you can get the rack out with pass side still on.

Looks like 20mm and 1" to get TREs off if they are stubborn?

Yes, those are the sizes - 20mm fits the inner end. 25mm (aka 1") for the TRE. The inner end will round off if your truck was assembled with salt water and crazy glue like mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom