Events/Trails Trails and Camping Areas in Idaho (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do those of you that didn't grow up here find areas to take your rig? I'm wanting to start exploring around the state, so looking for suggestions on places to stop by.

Any websites that cater to offload trails? I've seemed to find biking/hiking trails pretty easy but vehicles elude me. Something like this: Hikes & Rides - City of Boise

Not too many challenging roads around the state that I've found, and I grew up here. During the summer months, when the snow is clear, you can take a Subaru to pretty much any destination on a forest service road.

That said, there are a few 'trails' that we used to go out and do as a club. I don't know of any website that shows them though.

Some in the lower Owyhee front, near Reynolds Creek and Rabbit Creek

The Black Mountain route to Silver City this time of year can be fun/challenging, some may even say 'an adventure' esp. if you lose a transfer case and/or your rear end spins around and points your rear pinion out the back of your vehicle.

Seafoam Lake, up near Boundary Creek in the Sawtooths

The Crooked Summit road over the Boise Ridge and down to Clear Creek is close to Boise, but may or may not be closed to full-sized vehicles now. With the 'side by side' UTV craze, a lot of the challenging logging roads have over grown and you need to be prepared to get some 'Idaho Pin Striping' on your vehicle.

Good luck, now that the snow is flying up high, some tame roads can become a challenge.

My goal is to get out a lot more this summer than in years past. Are you getting out at all this summer? I've already started exploring between here and Ketchum.

I found a road down to the Snake that was enough I backed off. It wasn't 'that' off-kilter, but because I was solo and had no way of recovery had I rolled or a rock I was skidding over was 1/4" too high, it was enough to stop. There appear to be some trails between Boise and Silver City that look interesting, but are probably OHV sized for ATVs. Maps I've found have been confusing or even wrong.

I don't think this area has enough interest in recreational off roading, thus no general support. There's the Subaru class: where most well maintained forest roads work; Stocker class: where folk want to get to interesting places in vehicles that are also daily drivers; 33" class: where being able to go where stockers can't go is the rule; then the more extreme highly lifted 35"; and then Rock crawlers: where tipping over is fun. I am ignoring the Mudder class: where people just like to get their trucks dirty then drive to town to show off.

But yes, it would be nice to find some interesting destinations off the beaten tracks.

Last edited:
I did the "road" up to Boulder City a couple weeks ago. A super fun trip. Boulder City is an old mining town from something like 1890 above Ketchum that sits right around 9500 ft. The trail is something like 4-5 miles and has a couple tricky spots. Some of the UTV's we saw that day said things like "I'm amazed you brought that up here". It was def a fun drive and we camped at one of the lakes up high that night. I've got a 97 LX450 on 35's. I didn't have to touch my front or rear lockers but I also had to focus at times.

I also had some fun with the a local cruiser group around Silver City last October. It's def an area I want to explore more.

I'd love to learn about more places in what GWcruiser called the "35 class". Or even something in the stock class that takes you high into the mountains where most don't go. Boulder City def fit that bill.

My 35" mention is really more like what folks with 33" tires do (typo me thinks). 35" tires usually come with 3" or higher lifts, special control arms to get the alignment back in, sway bar disconnects, front and rear bumpers that bend frames rather than scratch...

Boulder City is on my list of places to go. As are some of the roads northwest that head down into the Snake like Reservoir Gulch. Also, Leslie Gulch in Oregon was a fun run, with places to stop and hike into interesting and cool side canyons.

I don't have many pics of the Boulder City trip (my friend was the one with the fancy camera and I haven't gotten them yet) but I'll post up the few I have on my phone later today.

I have the 35 inch tires but don't have sway bar disconnects. My rig is capable of way way more than I put it through when I'm wheeling as a solo vehicle.

Leslie Gulch sounds like a place I'm going to look into for sure. I have a friend coming into town in August and she wants to do some wheeling and hiking so that sounds like a promising combo!

I deleted my FB a while back and unfortunately a lot of local groups kinda operate only on there now. Trying to figure out how to navigate the world without FB.

Not much need for 4x4 out at Leslie Gulch and it will be hot as s*** there in Aug. I tend to go north this time of year.

Yes - Leslie is very stocker friendly (think station wagon) and only rain makes it a challenge. Mud and flood type.

Last edited:
Eh, fair enough. You lost me at heat. After spending last summer living and working on a glacier I haven't done well with the heat this year. North it is!

from my trip up to Boulder City around July 4 this year. Made it up with old worn out 33s on it, only had to lock the hubs about 3/4 of the way up when there was a bunch of loose rock. @EvanD, I had the same response from a couple hikers. The look on their face was priceless.

IMG_4019.jpg

Sorry, missed your post somehow, swank. That's where I usually camp up there. A beautiful spot for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom