3WD T100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I’ve got a 96 T100 with about 265k on it that has had some 4WD problems since I purchased it last year. For starters, in 4WD ONLY it pulls really hard to the left. So bad that when I’m driving in snow and ice it is safer to stay in 2WD because I have to turn the wheel 90 degrees to the right to stay straight in 4WD. When I put it up on jack stands, both rear wheels and front right spin at the same speed, but drivers front does not spin at all. If I grab the front right while it’s spinning, the front left will spin (which would suggest it’s not an ADD issue). Both brake calipers are in working order and not seized. I have not actually inspected the wheel bearings, but there is no hub play and both wheels spin relatively freely/smoothly when off the ground. Any ideas? Need to get this fixed before winter and we already have snow on the ground.

Thanks

Sounds like your front diff is toast.

Sounds like your front diff is toast.

If I grab the front right while it’s spinning, the front left will spin (which would suggest it’s not an ADD issue).

Front diff is doing the right thing, it's differentiating. How does tire wear look? Does it pull on dry pavement in 2wd?

Front diff is doing the right thing, it's differentiating. How does tire wear look? Does it pull on dry pavement in 2wd?

Tear wear from right to left is relatively even. It does NOT pull in 2WD on dry. It DOES pull on dry in 4WD.

Pulling to that side tell me that's where it's getting traction, hence the 'pull'. How about the right side?

Pulling to that side tell me that's where it's getting traction, hence the 'pull'. How about the right side?

It pulls left. Makes sense if only passenger front is getting power. Is that what you are asking?

Thanks

Pulls to the side getting the most power. Ever do a burn-out? Which way did the rear end skew, towards the wheel doing the spinning, towards the power. You issue is with the right not getting enough power to balance the front end.

Pulls to the side getting the most power. Ever do a burn-out? Which way did the rear end skew, towards the wheel doing the spinning, towards the power. You issue is with the right not getting enough power to balance the front end.

You are absolutely correct, the front right is not spinning. I inspected and repacked the wheel bearings and it’s good. Torqued the hub nut to spec as well. I can few slightly more resistance when spinning this wheel by hand. What could it be? Brakes are not seized, front diff clearly works... see video.

OK, does the right front make any noises while turning? Can you 'stop' it with your hands(be extra careful here)? There may be a sheared axle shaft that still drags enough to make the wheel spin when the other side is blocked. Have you checked the right front hub to see if there is anything wrong with the internals?

I was wrong again. Almost certain it's the brakes. I retracted both pads and all four wheels spun perfectly. Neither of the front calipers are seized, but they are sticky. Judging by the rubber seals, I would be surprised if they have been replaced in 265k. Ordered 2 new calipers and will have them on next weekend. Hope that's it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom