Hilux 1998 Hilux Tracker SR5 from Portugal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! :)

I just joined the forum, so as my first post here I'm presenting myself. I'm Rui, from Portugal, and I'm beginning my "adventure" in the off-road world. I am an automotive engineer, addicted to cars and motorcycles (I guess it can't be helped :D). I bought an euro spec Toyota Hilux LN165, 1998 Tracker SR5 2.4 TD dual cab, mainly for work and some off-roading. It is stock (for now), here are some pics:

It comes with the 2L-T engine, it came in very good condition aside from some leak in the A/C that I didn't find yet (+/- 125 000 km), it has 135 000 now, and I am willing to modify it to gain more power, what it has is not enough :D

This is what made me find this community, I've found very interesting info on these engines, and it gave me some interesting ideas that I am of course willing to discuss with you, such as:
- Water to air intercooler
- More boost
- EGT monitoring and control

Aside from that, a 5cm lift may be on the way next year, as I was able to legalize some 235/85 R16 and 265/75 R16 tyres :)

Thank you all for what you've taught me so far (even without knowing :D) - I'll learn a lot and share knowledge for sure.

Thanks! ;)

After some studying and discussing here in the forum already, I have decided on what to do power-wise to the truck. So, I'll turn my presentation topic into my build thread.

Well, these are the mods soon-to-be-installed, in this order (step by step, as this may get a little expensive...):

- 2-din Sat-Nav Kenwood DNX5170BTS (built-in sat-nav and smartphone mirroring for some off-road maps)
- Zada Tech digital gauges (AV-IN control box + sensors for EGT, turbo pressure, IAT pre and post intercooler and outside temp)
- EGR intake and exhaust blanking plates + complete intake cleaning + PCV catch can (soot build up since 1998! :D )
- 65 mm exhaust with Aero Exhaust AT2525XL muffler, routed where the OEM one is for a bit of noise suppression
- Boost controller (a Hallman one maybe)
- Water-air intercooler setup (FrozenBoost WAIC + Bosch pump + yet-to-decide on radiator + water tank)
- Fueling adjustment via boost compensator (I'll need your help on this one)

...being the expensive items the head unit, gauges and WAIC total setup. The main idea is obtaining more power while trying to lower EGTs in the process - let's see how it turns out longevity-wise, as I've never had overheating issues ;)

After the engine performance tuning, I'll add:

- OEM Toyota bull-bar and roll-bar (no winch)
- 2'' OME lift
- BF Goodrich All-Terrain AT 265/75-R16 on 16x7 rims (off-set yet to be chosen taking into account that I don't plan on adding wheel arches)
- Spotlights / small led bar + rear work light

And, last but not least, a fair amount of Super Bock and a well-spent afternoon by the river with some good old friends to celebrate! :D:D (maybe I'll do several of these during the process.....)

I'll post every step of the build process, well documented with photos / videos and, after the digital gauges, EGT + boost + temp readings. Eventually, some dyno runs also.

Please feel free to suggest anything that I may be missing or misjudging, I hope you enjoy this thread as much as I'll enjoy making these mods ;)

Thanks,

Rui

Love that style of truck. Post lots of pictures!
What he said. You realize we didn't get those in the US? Gotta post pics to make us yanks jealous and drive us nuts. The fact that the steering wheel is on the left side is going to frustrate us deprived folks.

What he said. You realize we didn't get those in the US? Gotta post pics to make us yanks jealous and drive us nuts. The fact that the steering wheel is on the left side is going to frustrate us deprived folks.

The downside is that the engines we've got here are normally "weak" powerwise comparing to your V6's and bigger. And petrol is expensive comparing to diesel... But you have awesome trucks also, I've seen a Dodge RAM that was enormous comparing to my tiny Hilux, and the Ford F150 looks great too ;)

I've always admired your automotive culture, and in a not-so-far future I hope to visit the US to experience a bit of that first-hand (I definitely won't leave the country without seeing / hearing / driving a '69 Corvette Stingray! :D ).

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome guys ;)

... and in a not-so-far future I hope to visit the US to experience a bit of that first-hand .

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome guys ;)

If you manage a trip over to the USA make sure to include the Land Cruiser Museum in Salt Lake City, UT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom