Builds indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine have a nylon stopper screw that prevent the slide from coming out completely. I think I can still roll past the tilt catch a bit, though. Is that what you're asking?
Not exactly. mine has the white nylon screws as well. its difficult to explain with out pictures, but if you havent had any issues then im guessing your doesnt have the same "issue" as mine. i will try to upload some pictures tonight if i was unsuccessful in squeezing the parts closer together. But basically another way to explain it is if you look at the slide from the front, does the vertical elements (the "Tilt catches") go straight up or do they go out in a V-shape. Mine is V-shaped.

@TonyP -- I think you'll like the Solarscreen kit. I picked mine up on Friday before heading out of town and they pretty much blacked-out the interior of the cargo area. Here's a super-short video showing the contrast of daylight outside versus the second row and cargo area. There's also a photo of what they look like from the outside along with the fit of the rear cargo area glass.

View attachment 1539082

View attachment 1539081

As for the Los Padres National Forest exploration, we ended up changing our plans as friends of ours in a Volkswagen GTI accepted our invitation to go camping at the last minute so we found a location that didn't require much offroad driving. Next time! We still had a good time camping!

Wow that is nice! How do they attach to the truck? Do they attach to the glass or the window frames?

Cooking some metal.

7B5D0D5B-B664-4CDC-895C-02A5A1199035.jpeg

What is this cooking here

Hmm, looks like some modular roll bar accessory mounts. You guys adding more lights or some other goodies?

Methinks rear control arm guards on the right...

...but what be the shiny, holy doo-dads?

Hmm, looks like some modular roll bar accessory mounts. You guys adding more lights or some other goodies?

Bingo. I’m prepping a number of things for powder coating.

I use Fourtreks mounts on the Gamiviti rack. These are for a shovel and axe double mount. I’m also finally powder coating the TT RLCA skids after running them for six months with some rattle can paint.

The other items are some modified Eezi Awn awning mounts and a simple bracket I designed and milled for my Yaesu radio faceplate.

I’m waiting for the PC oven to heat up as I write this.

94D91AF5-F930-4520-A4BE-7A8E772B6870.jpeg
E7C577C5-63E6-41CD-93D8-051E91CE5DBB.jpeg
image.jpg

A few photos of the radio faceplate mount. I had some issues with powder coverage on a couple parts. I’m blaming it on the fact that the lights weren’t working in the powder coat booth at the shop. I’ll probably redo them the next time I coat something. Not really a big deal to me though.

BC6195F6-C633-4FBE-92C1-BBA1504FDD2F.jpeg
775AED29-BD94-4F95-8ECC-FBAE45669AE5.jpeg
3A5D1DBA-2C0A-4984-B9B0-7105344C423F.jpeg
0B965148-B9D8-4A0F-822C-6BDE58F674E2.jpeg
CFE07F32-BEC2-4DF6-9F46-D3167ACF7B1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Tires and Suspension

The irony is that I actually had to do a ton of trimming because the Procomp wheels have some significant offset. The mud flaps had to come off, large swaths of the wheel well were cut, and even a smidgeon of the bumper. I don't mind the trimming, but I'm pretty sure at this point I'd be able to fit a larger tire.

Lessons Learned:
  • I wish I had the space to do the suspension work myself as it's one of the only parts of the truck I haven't worked on and I don't like not having the knowledge.
  • The stock wheels were likely higher quality than my aftermarket wheels -- I could have kept them and pocked the wheel money.
  • If I'd known just how many modifications I'd end up talking myself into, I would have gone with the BP-51s (or some other adjustable system) right off the bat.
  • The tire width is great but I wouldn't mind a bit more height especially once I'm aired-down. 10 PSI in the sand really decreases the clearance.

Sources: Slee (Suspension), 4 Wheel Parts (Wheels and Tires)

Hate to go back to an earlier detail, but I've been researching and wanted to get your take on your comment regarding trimming. I'm planning the same OME lift, however was considering a slightly taller tire. Your comments about having to trim being related to the wheel offset, is that because the tire is still too close to the inner fender lining? Would you have had the same issue with the offset on the stock rims (which is what I'm planning to use)? I'm wondering if a wheel spacer will either help or potentially hurt by putting my in the same spot where more trimming may be needed.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, this whole thread is very informative.

Looks awesome Cole, looking forward to seeing the radio faceplate mounted up.

Hate to go back to an earlier detail, but I've been researching and wanted to get your take on your comment regarding trimming. I'm planning the same OME lift, however was considering a slightly taller tire. Your comments about having to trim being related to the wheel offset, is that because the tire is still too close to the inner fender lining? Would you have had the same issue with the offset on the stock rims (which is what I'm planning to use)? I'm wondering if a wheel spacer will either help or potentially hurt by putting my in the same spot where more trimming may be needed.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, this whole thread is very informative.

I'm fairly sure that trimming for 285/65r18s is a rare phenomenon. I just happened to have a wheel with no offset that sort of simulated a spacer. I think many folks have been able to run 285/65s or 270/75s with 20mm offset wheels, Rock Warriors, or stock wheels with no trimming. Maybe mudflaps had to be removed?

Stock rims + a wheel spacer would be similar to my original ProComp wheels. My tires are tucked further into the fender with my Fuel Offset wheels and I don't believe trimming would have been required if I'd originally gone with the Fuel wheels.

Fall is our favorite season for camping so we've been busy using the truck instead of modifying it. We've been experimenting with some new gear as well. We're still using the ground tent and liking it (aside from one instance where I about wore out my hammer trying to pound in stakes for 30 minutes). We've also been using a partner steel stove while the Skottle sits at home. We like the Skottle but the entire setup takes up a fair amount of space.

Gear-wise, my favorite recent update is a reorganization of my tools. I had been using a BROG tool bag (which is an awesome bag) but it was stuffed-to-the-gills and simply too heavy. I was also tired of digging through it trying to find a specific tool. Somehow, I've managed to distribute the tools amongst more bags while still fitting everything in the same drawer.

The key to this re-org is the Adventure Tool Company Shop Roll. It's incredible. I have my main tool kit in this roll. Sockets and socket accessories are in the tiny pockets on the left side and the large pocket on the right has small wrenches, t-handle allen wrenches, small pliers, and an awkward scepter wrench.

Tools-1.jpg

Tools-4.jpg

I'm still using the Blue Ridge Overland Gear tool bag. I have a few extra tools, my electrical kit and electrical spare parts in it.

I also picked up an ATC wrench roll for my larger wrenches:
Tools-12.jpg

Somehow, everything still fits in the ARB drawer.

Tools-11.jpg

What's next in the modification department? I have BP-51s going on next week and am also keeping my fingers crossed that the aux tank works out with Georg and Ward. I also just received a shipment of Monstaliner supplies and will be coating my second row storage system and the small box the fridge sits on.

Finally, on a completely unrelated note, I recently wrote and posted a bunch of articles on the truck, gear, and our favorite places on a website (www.americanwanderland.com -- please forgive the pretentious name of the website but I bought the domain a long time ago and thought it was fitting). The build section is basically the same information from this thread but since this is a technical forum I did not think it was appropriate to put all the content on here. I travel a lot for work and ended up finding this to be a nice outlet while on the road.

Has anyone ever tried installing a ham radio speaker inside the headliner near the overhead console? I'm curious to see if there's enough room up there for one.

I'm out of open faceplates for switches and thus am thinking about installing an sPOD on/in/near the overhead console. If I go that direction, and while I have the console off and the headliner dropped, I thought it'd be nice to hide a ham radio speaker up there. I'm 100% sure that the MLS-100 Yaesu one that I have will not fit but am looking at an ICOM speaker and some kind of a VHF boat speaker.

@indycole, I installed the sPod HD in the overhead console. It was really easy and makes wiring accessories a snap.

I think remember someone posting that the spod Tundra switch panel fits in the overhead sunglass holder of the 08-15. Not sure if the 16+ overhead consoles are the same as pre-facelifed models.

@indycole, I installed the sPod HD in the overhead console. It was really easy and makes wiring accessories a snap.

I'd like to retain the sunglasses holder and was considering mounting the 8-switch unit to the exterior of the console probably in the middle of the cab. It would be nice for the switches to be easily accessible by both driver and passenger. @Jebbud did you do the 6-switch or 8-switch unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom