Differences: JDM80 vs. HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

81 indicates out was made for the Japanese domestic market, or more specifically the “1" indicates JDM, it is not an indication of RHD, though vehicles built for the Japanese domestic market are RHD

VX, GX, GXL indicate specification level. There is lots of differences from one market to another.

HD, HZ, F, FZ indicate the engine series

Australia had RHD HDJ80, HZJ80, FZJ80, FJ80

here in the philippines, the model is HDJ80. 1hdt engine, 5 speed manual transmission and left hand drive

lets try this another way. you tell us what you want and we will pick out the truck for you since you are making this way too complicated.

another option is just buy a nice FZJ80 and start wheeling, no need to import a diesel. imo you should only go down that road if you are already a cruiser head and do most of your own work.

I'm just learning. I have been looking for a while 95-97 FJZ80. I have also run across a few HDJ81s that were really nice. (Price was just higher) I have been doing my wheeling in a Tacoma so that if fun for short trail rides. I am looking for something that suits a family of 4 and two dogs. For longer 3-4 day trips with some wheeling.

I'm just learning. I have been looking for a while 95-97 FJZ80.

The FZJ80 is '93 - '97, in case you didn't know. '93 and '94 have ABS but no airbags.

'93 & '94:
+ No leather steering wheel to get all gross
+ Arguably stronger transmission
+ Arguably less likely to blow the head gasket
+ Proper TOYOTA on the grill
+ Cooler swoopy dash styling, this is obviously in no way subjective
- OBD1 instead of super-handy OBD2 diagnostics
- no air bags
- awful, old-school headliner that's a complete nightmare to remove if you ever have to

'95 - '97:
+ Air bags
+ OBD2
+ Modern style headliner that comes out as one piece
- arguably weaker transmission
- arguably inferior original head gasket composition (ask nukegoat about head gaskets)
- leather everywhere. Seats are easy to cover up, but the steering wheel is a PITA

You may have already known all that, but you probably didn't realize that '94 is the best year. ;)

Since this first one will be for my daughters 16th. I'd prefer airbags, so I'm in for the 95/97. I also want the solid axle, so the 98+ is out. (Also since I have not done any wrenching on anything in the last 20 years I figured ODB2 might be handy.)

I am guessing end of November (maybe thanksgiving) I will have an 80 in the driveway. :)

The FZJ80 is '93 - '97, in case you didn't know. '93 and '94 have ABS but no airbags.

'93 & '94:
+ No leather steering wheel to get all gross
+ Arguably stronger transmission
+ Arguably less likely to blow the head gasket
+ Proper TOYOTA on the grill
+ Cooler swoopy dash styling, this is obviously in no way subjective
- OBD1 instead of super-handy OBD2 diagnostics
- no air bags
- awful, old-school headliner that's a complete nightmare to remove if you ever have to

'95 - '97:
+ Air bags
+ OBD2
+ Modern style headliner that comes out as one piece
- arguably weaker transmission
- arguably inferior original head gasket composition (ask nukegoat about head gaskets)
- leather everywhere. Seats are easy to cover up, but the steering wheel is a PITA

You may have already known all that, but you probably didn't realize that '94 is the best year. ;)

The '93 and '94 exhaust is also routed differently (over the frame) compared to the '95-'97.

FJ80/81 gasoline 4.0
FZ80/81 gasoline 4.5
HD80/81 diesel turbo
HZ80/81 diesel non turbo
GX no leather, no dual ACs, no dual tanks, no fridge, mostly manual
VX with or without leather,with or without dual ACs, with or without fridge, with or without dual tanks, with or without sunroof, with or without lighted running boards, mostly automatic, post 96 all full time (non US specs)
97-98 model years with 1HD-FT engine (mechanical 24 valve diesel)

Since this first one will be for my daughters 16th. I'd prefer airbags, so I'm in for the 95/97. I also want the solid axle, so the 98+ is out. (Also since I have not done any wrenching on anything in the last 20 years I figured ODB2 might be handy.)

I am guessing end of November (maybe thanksgiving) I will have an 80 in the driveway. :)

If you want air bags or ODB, don't get a jdm. ODB wasn't required on Japanese vehicles until the 00s, and i know that my 95 at least never came with air bags.

I have a 1990 JDM FJ80. It's RHD with a 3FE. I have a center diff lock switch and a factory rear limited slip. I also have rear disc brakes and a full floating rear. My brakes are different though...front pads are the same as US but rotors are different. Rear discs are smaller than the US models. Lockers were available...there is a 1991 on base with me that has lockers and a 3FE. There was also a factory winch option. The gas versions came with rear AC and I think most came with the center console cooler. I don't have antilock brakes nor do I have airbags. I do have third row seats that were not removable...I put in US brackets so the seats are now removable, though the right hand seat doesn't fold up because the AC unit is in the quarter panel. My AC works, though I don't think you'd ever find a new evaporator for the console or rear AC. The rear seatbelts are also lap belts...I had to add shoulder belts that I got from a member on here.

I haven't seen a diesel that came with third row seats nor the rear AC. I think they did come with the cooler.

The only reason to import an 80 is for the factory diesel. The rear AC is nice, but since parts are impossible to source you'd be taking a risk if the imported one has working AC. Out of the 4-5 80's I've seen on base, I think mine is the only one with working AC (I only have 64,000 KMs on mine). The diesels' parts supply is limited in the states.

I will import mine since it is in such nice shape, but the 3FE may get ripped out long term for a V-8. The 3FE is fine for Japan since the fastest legal speed is under 120km/h on toll roads. Most roads are less than 50km/h. I also got mine for a really good price. The Japanese keep their vehicles in nice condition, but plan on doing a full rebase if you import one ($2k-$5k at least). A decent diesel here that is over 25 years old will cost at least $8k and they run up to $25k. The $8k version is going to be pretty beat (rust, leaking front axle, missing parts, torn interior, etc).

I am not sure if you were thinking of importing, but if you do, wait for a NYC to Tokyo plane ticket to go on sale (less than $500). There are probably 40 80's/70's/60's you can go look at within a train/bus ride from Tokyo. Japan is easy to navigate and the people are very helpful. Come find the one you want in person...the cost of the trip might save you thousands in repair costs if you chose the wrong Land Cruiser.

If the diesel isn't important, find a nice one in the US...you'll save yourself a huge headache.

THanks for the great feedback. I think I will pass on the diesel 80s. From what I have read and your helpful comments, Im too new to the market and don't have the wrenching expertise for a diesel.

THanks for the great feedback. I think I will pass on the diesel 80s. From what I have read and your helpful comments, Im too new to the market and don't have the wrenching expertise for a diesel.
ppp

Good call.

I see HZJ81's in for sale in Japan occasionally. Usually commercial or "poverty package" with manual windows, 5-speed, base interior. Joekatana has a drivetrain from a euro HZJ80 on the way.

Exactly my next JDM. :)

I am now looking hard at the fzj73 for next year. Was wanting to hold out for 2024 and get coils up front but life is too short.

I am now looking hard at the fzj73 for next year. Was wanting to hold out for 2024 and get coils up front but life is too short.

Easily ramified: 80 series axles and suspension. Hack out old leaf spring sheeeee-at and intall 80 series suspension.

Bees Knees.

@The Eradicator has already broken some ground for you. ;) Seen it in action. AWESOME.

Don't push me man, I already have plenty of part rigs to do it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom