GPdenver's 1999 LX470 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn dude, that's sweet. I finished my cuda up a few years ago

IMG_2848.JPG

I saw your first post about adding the Pioneer head unit. Could you list out the kit you used to do the install with the factory Nakamichi head unit? I've heard its a PITA but would really love to hear first hand.

Thanks!

THAT ALFA IS BADASS.

Back from the dead, I just went on a spending spree for the LX, I'm going to drive it as my daily this winter. Doing a new steering rack, upgraded steering rack bushings, control arms, tie rods, sway bar bushings, new AHC globes. Also new rotors and ebc green stuff pads. Snorkel going on also.

Also going to upgrade the interior and cosmetics of the car.
Got a wood shift knob on the way. I have always wanted one of these:
ZOyytEA.jpg

CH7xysf.jpg

I also bought a new Black leather/wood steering wheel. I couldn't stand the wood cover I had on the car.

sbpAM2e.png

9AWyG1Q.png

Also ordered clear corner lights:
YPBtp5c.png

New leather for the front seats:
YIhfEEI.jpg

New OEM Lexus floor mats:
T6apaP0.png

I also have lots more cosmetic and build updates coming soon. I'll try and remember to document some of the progress as it happens.

Parts started to show up, so I started on the interior upgrades. Started by pulling the shifter apart and getting the old steering wheel out of there:
s9wFAFY.jpg

The new steering wheel is black perforated leather and wood, I've hated the brown steering wheel and column since I bought the car. So the steering wheel parts, column and airbag had to go black to match the new wheel:
OSwXIct.jpg

Got the column put back together and shifter on:
bDdsCZT.jpg

Got it all put back together for today. Loving the new steering wheel and shift knob.
BYKP1IK.jpg

Tomorrow the major stereo upgrades start to bring this car into the modern era. The Pioneer double din is outdated for my liking, so I'm putting in a 10.1" Android based stereo, GPS, Bluetooth, rear view camera, android auto. Hopefully I can pull off a slick install with the huge screen, according to my measurements I should be good!

Where did you find the shifter? Been looking.

I wish I had enough guts to try to put a 2003+ LX 470 steering wheel with stereo controls in my 2001 LX 470. But, I am afraid that I wouldn't have the time to figure it out.

I'm stoked to see your stereo install, I've been looking at fitting an ipad kit from Soundman as a headunit. I'm looking forward to your project.

I wish I had enough guts to try to put a 2003+ LX 470 steering wheel with stereo controls in my 2001 LX 470. But, I am afraid that I wouldn't have the time to figure it out.
I tried to install a custom pistol grip 2003+ steering wheel first, but the differences in the airbag scared me. You must use the new style airbag, and the connections are very different. I assume the sensors are different as well, and I wanted a functional airbag, which is why I reverted back to the old style.

Good to see you back! I never did catch what you did for stereo, but it sounds like a moot point...
Installing the new one will be the same, I'll try and remember to document the process. It was very straightforward if I remember properly.

Installed the 10.1" android based stereo today. Couldn't be happier with the fitment, functionality, and sound quality. Built in GPS, external microphone, Bluetooth, rear view camera, radio tuner, and all of my favorite android apps to go along with it. Real time obd2 info and gauges, streaming music apps, etc. If you dream of it, this thing can do it. 32gb internal memory, 2gb ram, Android 6.0.
OthMjch.jpg

k2T9R8o.jpg

Still a laundry list to go on the restoration/upgrades, including potential custom paint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom