cummins repower 2.8 crate engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not true.

The farm tractor variety Cummins is selling are a horrible car application engines. They are very noisy and vibrate a lot.
If you drive a Japanese designed diesel car, you are talking about two different things. Not even close to Cummins.

I DD a diesel since 2012. Love it. But it comes from Bavaria. No noise, no vibration. Pure enjoyment.

I would love to swap that engine in my 80. With it's own transmission. The Transmission is closely related to the GM 6L80/6L90 version Banks uses so it may be easier to use their own transfer case.

All I need now is a lot of money, a good diesel swap mechanic, and a divorce.

Oh, and what do I do with my Robbie rebuilt 4.6 1FZ-FE engine?
I have owned cummins, mercedes, isuzu, mitsubishi diesels and I currently also have a mazda B2500 4x4 diesel. I know how they are, that does not include the class 8 trucks I have owned. Its just a frame of mind. The market has decided they are noisy and unacceptable in the US, or they have sound isolation items designed into them to help muffled and dampen the noise and vibration. The motors themselves are not very different just the addons to help calm the complaining buyers. That increases the cost, however so those unnecesary addons to dampen noise and vibrations are not so common in third world countries where function is put before form. No aftertreatment in these countries either. A brand spanking new Hilux turbo diesel costs mid 30s here, high 20s in basic trim. People here need to have one hell of an income to justify the added luxury if a quieter german or Japanese diesel. LC200 is around 80k, LC doublecab truck is 60ish and not even fancy

Last edited:
Not true.

The farm tractor variety Cummins is selling are a horrible car application engines. They are very noisy and vibrate a lot.
If you drive a Japanese designed diesel car, you are talking about two different things. Not even close to Cummins.

I DD a diesel since 2012. Love it. But it comes from Bavaria. No noise, no vibration. Pure enjoyment.

I would love to swap that engine in my 80. With it's own transmission. The Transmission is closely related to the GM 6L80/6L90 version Banks uses so it may be easier to use their own transfer case.

All I need now is a lot of money, a good diesel swap mechanic, and a divorce.

Oh, and what do I do with my Robbie rebuilt 4.6 1FZ-FE engine?
I would only put my N57 from my 335d into my 80 if I could remove all the smog s*** off of it.

I would only put my N57 from my 335d into my 80 if I could remove all the smog s*** off of it.

I think that is true for most diesel engines. All the smog garbage adds complexity and seems to excessively degrade the longevity of the modern diesel engine. EGR is the killer.

Reactions: b16
I think that is true for most diesel engines. All the smog garbage adds complexity and seems to excessively degrade the longevity of the modern diesel engine. EGR is the killer.
Yes, I've had both turbo's, the SCR tank, intake manifold and a carbon cleaning which could have all been avoided if it didn't have all this crap on it. Otherwise it is a great motor!

I would rip the 6BT out of my Ram and put it in my 80 in a heartbeat.....if it didn't weigh over 1000 lbs. I just couldn't bring myself to basically add the weight of another 1FZ-FE to the front end.
I think it depends on what you are using the rig for. If you are using your rig for fairly serious offroad, the weight will be a huge detriment. If its medium type offroad trails or expedition type travel, I don't think it would be a big deal. Just get a 12k winch or so, so that if you do sink the front end you got the pull power to get out.

Yes, I've had both turbo's, the SCR tank, intake manifold and a carbon cleaning which could have all been avoided if it didn't have all this crap on it. Otherwise it is a great motor!

Are you on e90post?

You can find all the info you need there. All you need to do is register the car in a non smog check state.

It's always the auxiliaries that break down.
That's the engine I got in my mind for a swap. Together with the tranny.

Reactions: b16
Are you on e90post?

You can find all the info you need there. All you need to do is register the car in a non smog check state.
I am on e90 post. Hmm, need to look into that. I do know that you can disable/remove all that stuff. Being in CA makes that difficult.

There are a couple of people there selling downpipes for "racing purposes" and "track cars".
A few offer software enhancements for those "track-only cars" too.

I haven't been there in a long time. EPA came down hard on some of those tuners and they had to go underground. Some don't offer any of that stuff anymore. Others do. Just use PM over there to find out more info, because people are reluctant to talk about it publicly.

Oh, and EGR enhancements are available too.

Everything can be gutted out. You just need to have your car as a "track only" car and not be used on public roads. Or register the car in Florida.

For software, I would contact Lenny. PM PuertoRican for Lenny's details.

I'd be hesitant to use any "modern" technology diesel in a trail rig. Sure, they are very refined, make awesome power and and are light but all that comes at a price. That price is complexity, and complexity tends to make serviceability vastly more difficult. Having to spend 6 hours in removing parts to get down to the root of a failure doesn't lend itself to convenient trail repairs and having to keep 35 different sized o-rings/gaskets on hand for proper reassembly is kind of a PITA. Having to pull the engine to service a timing chain isn't exactly field service friendly not to mention some of these engines REQUIRE a vacuum assisted system to properly refill the cooling system.

I hate to be a "bandwagon" type of person but every time I think about 80 engine swaps my thinking always come back the same conclusion, LS swap. Light, compact, ridiculously easy to service, incredibly reliable, crazy parts availability and power delivery that lends itself well to factory gear ratios.

I found out what, my girl weighs, 5480 with a 6BT, I know a 2200 RPM I can go about 85, and soon I'll have 3.54 gearing, also I get a solid 21.6 MPG, would I put an LS, no never, why you ask, everywhere I go and the look's from people, when they hear my 12 valve, and they know what it is, but see my Land Cruiser and smile big :hillbilly::hillbilly:,
I have a stand alone set up when I hit 35 I get TC lock and then at 45 I get TC lock, in my 343F

I need to turn the Ram off at the drive-through window otherwise it's just 'CLAK CLAK CLAK CLAK CLAK'.

My 80 with sliders weighed in at 5088 lbs, with a near full tank, and the rest stock.

I need to turn the Ram off at the drive-through window otherwise it's just 'CLAK CLAK CLAK CLAK CLAK'.

My 80 with sliders weighed in at 5088 lbs, with a near full tank, and the rest stock.

Full tank, 33" tires tool box, spare and my fatass, I rolled across the weigh station, it was closed so this is an estimate not exact weight

I used to have to do that on my Ram with the 24v Cummins.

Just got this email. The R2.8 goes on sale Friday the 29th. Looks like pricing is still a mystery. Any ideas what this will sell for? I'm not in the market, but have been following along out of curiosity.

I’m Steve Sanders, Program Leader for Cummins Repower™ – the new crate engine business of Cummins Inc. which is bringing the R2.8 Turbo Diesel to market.

I’ve personally communicated with many of you on this distribution list over the past few years while we were crafting this program. We share the same passion and addiction for unique, reliable, and most importantly - fun personal transportation. I couldn’t be more excited to announce that the start of sales is finally here!

We have worked feverishly since our announcement at the SEMA Show in 2016 to ensure that our first crate engine we bring to market doesn’t disappoint. To show our appreciation for each of you who have eagerly and patiently been awaiting this day, we wanted to give you all an exclusive heads-up and first chance to buy before our press release goes on the afternoon of September 29.

We are limiting quantities for 2017 to 500 engines so if you urgently need an engine, be ready to act quickly on Friday, September 29 at 9 a.m. Eastern at www.CumminsRepower.com. The only way to buy a Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel will be through our website so be sure to secure yours as early as possible!

You’re not just getting an engine. Our team is made up of Enthusiasts just like you so we know how disappointing it can be to open a new box of toys only to find out that you have to do homework and order more parts to make it work. We are essentially providing everything you need to start your engine with the exception of a battery, cooling package, and of course, diesel fuel!

Our kit (PN 5467046) also includes:

• Complete front-end accessory drive (Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Fan Hub, Serpentine Belt)
  • Cam-Driven Vacuum Pump
  • Remote Fuel Filter/Water Separator
  • Remote Oil Filter
  • Mass Airflow Sensor and Housing
  • Engine Wiring Harness and Engine Control Module
  • Starter
  • Flywheel
  • Universal Vehicle Wiring Harness
  • Throttle Pedal
  • J1939 CAN Dash Display
  • Owner’s Manual
  • Installation Guide
  • Cummins Quick Serve Online Access
  • Emissions Testing Information
I look forward to following each of your Cummins Repowers, hearing your impressions of our new crate engine, and telling us what you want us to do next! If you aren’t quite ready or we sell out, don’t worry - we’re ramping up supply as we speak for 2018!

Very Respectfully,

Steve Sanders
Program Leader – Cummins Repower™
Cummins Inc.

Just got this email. The R2.8 goes on sale Friday the 29th. Looks like pricing is still a mystery. Any ideas what this will sell for? I'm not in the market, but have been following along out of curiosity.

Looks like 9k

EB11C4C9-2960-461B-AA5B-2494C1F203E6.jpeg

It would be nice to yank off all the smog stuff and have it flashed to run a barebones setup and eliminate or sell all the pricey smog stuff to someone needing it when theirs fails ;) Of that $9k id be willing to bet $1500 is smog junk alone.

Im gonna wait and see if they bring the 3.8liter version in as an option for all the heavier guys needing more oomph without having to jump to the thirsty 5.0. Although the 2.8 basically matches torque numbers of a 1hd-t at 267ft/lbs from 1500rpm up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom