Toyota 80 mechanical winch /PTO, on 70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about adding a couple of tool boxes between the bumper and the bumper stays? Shackles etc...

Pete

Yes the chance to put/ make 2 nice boxes out of that space is very tempting .
I am considering that very likely .

bye Renago

IMG_3872.JPG
IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3875.JPG
Hi guys ,
Work is progressing slowly but steady ....
I was stuck between a rock and a hard place , been unable to tear a part the trasmission shaft , in order to change the bearings .
That were completely shot .
At last after trying many places I found a guy that would cut the center shaft , mill down the diameter to fit the new bearings .
Weld and balance it all .
Change a iffy spider and prolong the shaft to adapt to my new transfer case ( 80 in a 78 ) .
All well done
Now I must make the new bearing holders , and fit it .
Just wait a few months
IMG_3872.JPG
IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3875.JPG

hi Guys , sorry for the long absence , but as you well know things get in the way .
at last I found a friend of a friend that was able to make foe me a custom made bearing holder , suitable for my needs .
they are made in Avional , a strong aluminium alloy , I think series 2000 ?
here are some pic.
IMG_4857.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG

the bearing holders are intended to hold the central part of the transmission shaft firm and steady along the chassis .
But as things are never easy and strait , the original frame bolts holes are not right for this transmission shaft .
so I hade 2 options :
1, make new holes and threads on the frame in order to hold the bearings .
2, or use the standard ones present on the frame , but make new custom brackets .

i choose the second option , because to make new threaded holes in the frame is not easy , the walls are too thin , and the working space is tight .
here are some photos of them :
IMG_5030.JPG
IMG_5029.JPG
IMG_5046.JPG
IMG_5047.JPG

Thanks ,
We'll see if the job is well done as soon as I fit all parts , and start pulling .
For now , I don't have any special pull or track that I must do .
However this is part of a general improvement on the truck in view of some long run expedition trips.
Hope to make some testing in the next 2 weeks approx.

Bye Renago

today painting operation
IMG_5062.jpg
IMG_5063.jpg

hope to finish the transmission shaft this week .

bye Renago

IMG_5090.JPG
IMG_5096.JPG
At last the end has arrived .
today last issues with mounting the transmission shaft , a pita in placing all bolts .
very narrow space .
Then it took me some time to roll up the cable , nice and tight .
but at last it works fine and pulls like a beast .

IMG_8829.JPG
IMG_8818.JPG
Small progress.
Didn't like all the empty space between the bumper and car, so was looking to find the OEM plates that cover up this part.
They are a viable but very expensive .
Turned out to make them inhouse .
Here is then final result after painting.

IMG_8823.JPG

Nice finish on this project. It takes time to do it right!

Pete

Sorry to say but yes The cables and levers have in Colombia for quite some time now. It's a hard part to find- I wish you luck. If I see one here I'll get in touch.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom