Bike racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW my set it is for two bikes. Have you check with 4x4 labs? I have seen a couple bike mounts on swing out by him.

View attachment 1431290

@LandCruiserPhil - Love your vertical mount idea using the front axle mounts. I did the same thing on the cage/rack on my Tacoma. I have a BJ73 now and would like to rig up some kind of axle mount that would work on the rear barn door. Any close up pix of your mounts, or ideas for me? Thanks

I made this..
It is attached to the swingout arm
20170726_122357.jpg

More details please

PM yah shortly....

Im currently building a hitch rack for my cargo bike... it is just as long as that tandem bike of yours...76" w/o wheels

It's also going behind an outback...

20170418_185229.jpg

Man, those bike tires/wheels protruding from vehicle sides scare me.....

It's the angle of the shot. The bike is about 74" long from edge to edge of the tire. 80's & 100's are about 76" wide.

PM yah shortly....

Im currently building a hitch rack for my cargo bike... it is just as long as that tandem bike of yours...

It's also going behind an outback...

View attachment 1541678
Wow your best is is very pretty

Will love to see the rigging require to set it up..

Ps: tall trucks can be such a pain To load up things on the roof, the outback height is about perfect..

This is how much it sticks out:
IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

Last edited:
FWIW my set it is for two bikes. Have you check with 4x4 labs? I have seen a couple bike mounts on swing out by him.

View attachment 1431290

Heck yes! - that is exactly what I'm pencilling out to add to my Hanna swingout!

@SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr reco'ed the North Shore & that's what I'm going to be using as my design, but on a extra receiver I'll be punching through the spare tire swingarm, in the hole for the hub when you have a spare mounted on the swingout.

Entry to the rear tailgate / hatch will be the same, undo each side swingout & that's that.

I need to get a stick of 2" aluminum box tube, and some ~5/8" round stock I cover with some 5/8" ID heater hose for the fork crown interface like North Shore.

Not out to knock the Kuat - but I only had a short few mins before we had to leave REI - they had a display & it seemed kinda flimsy, esp @ some $550 for the 2.0NV (think I have the model right).

That one Kuat I saw seemed right at home on a Subaru, but we take our bikes some places the racks get bounced or hard vibes like if we're running up fire/logging access roads.

JMO, but for those in the market for a Kuat I'd go see one in person rather than let Amazon drop-ship you one sight unseen.

The North Shore is built for heck though - I see why they are $pendy. Again, JMO.

...Not out to knock the Kuat - but I only had a short few mins before we had to leave REI - they had a display & it seemed kinda flimsy, esp @ some $550 for the 2.0NV (think I have the model right).

That one Kuat I saw seemed right at home on a Subaru, but we take our bikes some places the racks get bounced or hard vibes like if we're running up fire/logging access roads.

JMO, but for those in the market for a Kuat I'd go see one in person rather than let Amazon drop-ship you one sight unseen...

This does not jive with my experience at all.

The Kuats do require a bit of assembly. If the display model was put together hastily or by an employee without the arm strength to properly tighten the bolts, it very well could feel flimsy. I’m betting that is what happened.

Mine is rock solid. There is zero movement in the trays, even if I sit on them. The hitch portion has a cam that you tighten that removes any slop from the receiver.

Once locked in, rack & bikes are one with the vehicle. They don’t budge. I would not hesitate to fly down rough roads with it.

For ease of use and durability I like the 1UpUSA rack. I have an extra tray as well and it takes about a minute to add or remove it. I’m working toward adding a brake light, however. At the installed height it partly blocks the tail lights.

4741AB3A-B717-4567-82BD-4C597DBC10E4.jpeg

This does not jive with my experience at all.

The Kuats do require a bit of assembly. If the display model was put together hastily or by an employee without the arm strength to properly tighten the bolts, it very well could feel flimsy. I’m betting that is what happened.

Mine is rock solid. There is zero movement in the trays, even if I sit on them. The hitch portion has a cam that you tighten that removes any slop from the receiver.

Once locked in, rack & bikes are one with the vehicle. They don’t budge. I would not hesitate to fly down rough roads with it.

I've had the Kuat NV (with 2 bike extension, so handles 4 bikes) for about 19 months. I usually only have one bike on it, but fairly often have 4, sometimes including my 47 lb fatbike...so it gets used *a lot* (has never been off the vehicle in 19 months). The only issue I've had is the bushing around the pivot bolt (pivot when you tip the rack down/up) is worn, so it's very loose from that. I contacted Kuat, e-mail them a cute video I made showing where it was sloppy and they happily shipped me an entire lower arm/lock/pivot-thing free, and this new one feels tighter than I think my original one ever did, but hard to remember from that long ago.

A very good rack though, I'd definitely buy again.

I've been running a Thule T2 classic for about 10 years with the +2 extension when needed. Once Thule added the additional cable lock in the arm I liked it more the before and it holds my 27.5+ 2.9 tires with room to spare. My wife’s has a Küat, it holds the bike well, but has a loose fit in her 1.25 hitch and the built in cable lock is to short. The built-in bike stand was a selling point but she rarely uses it. It moves around in the hitch so much she usually loads the bikes on the roof rack (2 Thule sidearms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom