Accidental Eighty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome back Billy. Cant wait to see yer new pot o' gold.

Let me start by saying this is the absolutely the most disgusting, filthiest vehicle I have ever brought home - and I've brought home a bunch. The amount of drink spilled in this car could float a boat. Brown carpet is mostly black, but ironically seats aren't stains up, just dirty.
I took a whole afternoon and pulled the "speaker pods", the Sub and amp and all associated wiring. Three old cell phone systems including a bag phone, ext. speakers, microphone and antennas, and two decommissioned alarm systems. I've never seen so much wiring. Feels good to get that all out of there.

View attachment 1540640 View attachment 1540639

Next I removed all the seats and consoles. Hit the jackpot! I found
35 Quarters

19 Nickles

37 Dimes

303 Pennies = $16.43

WTH? Who looses all that?

View attachment 1540638
View attachment 1540641
Next out with that disgusting carpet. Now I got a big job scrubbing and washing. Can't wait to get her clean inside. I love tearing down a vehicle and getting to know it.

View attachment 1540642
Week one has been good!

I was shocked at how nicely my carpet cleaned up. Consider adding some thermal barrier while its torn apart. The cats heat up the floorboards pretty badly.

Reminds me of last weekend; just brought home another addition to the 80 fleet. I only made $3.08 :(

I'll take those third row seat belts, if you're looking to lose them.

So after picking up the cruiser on Wednesday, giving her a once over and an oil change on Thursday some decisions had to be made.
I knew that the upcoming weekend was Logan's run - our local chapter's big annual get together and wheeling event but since I had been out of the loop, I hadn't been planning on attending. But now, accidentally I had acquired an Eighty just days before the event.
I made the decision to tempt fate and go see my cruiser buddies despite the unknown condition of my new ride other than fresh oil and the ever so pesky CEL.
Friday I called the insurance to insure coverage and loaded up a few basic tools. Saturday morning before light I headed out with a borrowed license plate and not a care in the world.
View attachment 1540540
View attachment 1540541

I made it down and back 105 miles with no problems (aside from a little stumbling under acceleration) and hade a great day seeing cruisers, old friends, and hanging out.

Something funny happened. - I fell in love with my crappy 80. What turned out to be a accidental investment to turn a profit has now become mine. My own truck to build as I please.

After being a 60 guy for all these years, the ride comfort in the 80 is a nice change and seeing their capability on the trails again was reassuring.

Let's bring this old girl back to life!
View attachment 1540542

This is how it all starts...

Awesome!

Read on here about the paper clip trick to pull the CEL code. (I love this place.) Pulled code 21 for an 02 sensor. No big surprise there. Plus I had heard what sounded like a bit of an exhaust leak.
Decided to crawl under and investigate. Oh the horror that awaited my discovery. I think I found my problem. The things people do...

IMG_7216.JPG

Luckily my buddy has a full exhaust he pulled of a parts truck. I'll be having that.

Got the carpets washed yesterday. What a terrible mess they were. I wetted them down, soaked them in Simple Green. Mixed up a concoction of Tide/bleach/Dawn dish soap. Sprayed that on with a garden sprayer and scrubbed it in with a brush. Then I let it soak and pressure washed it clean.
Needless to say, there were lots of suds and Brown nastiness. I washed for about an hour til they ran clean.
Hung them on the fence to dry. I'm having a wisdom tooth out today and taking the Boy Scouts camping tomorrow so no cruiser work for a few days - they should have time to dry.
Looks like they came remarkably clean, I'm excited to see them dry! Got to be better.
IMG_7229.JPG
IMG_7232.JPG

Read on here about the paper clip trick to pull the CEL code. (I love this place.) Pulled code 21 for an 02 sensor. No big surprise there. Plus I had heard what sounded like a bit of an exhaust leak.
Decided to crawl under and investigate. Oh the horror that awaited my discovery. I think I found my problem. The things people do...

View attachment 1540902

Luckily my buddy has a full exhaust he pulled of a parts truck. I'll be having that.
What in the hell...? Hilarious.

My butts grown to like the 80's also after DD 40's and 60's forever. I only found $1.98 in the last one.....

Sweet Baby Jeebus ... you and I are sharing a life. Crap Cruisers for $2500 FTW!!! Yours is in much better shape on the outside, my internals seem solid and no CEL. Just like you I have found a bunch of change and several repairs that have left me wondering WTF.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Well back from surgery, camping and a weekend of relaxation. All I could do was relax and think about my 80 at home needing work.
So as soon as I got unpacked it was off to the garage. I got the rest of the metal under the carpet all cleaned up. Then I figured I’d test clean the nasty headliner.
06CB1380-2327-47DA-BFA4-0E763EBF25B2.jpeg

A simple spot test turned into a 4 hour job. I sprayed Simple Green on the bad spots, then soaked down one section at a time with Tuff Stuff upholstery cleaner. Then it was scrub, scrub with a tooth brush, a wipe down with a damp rag, then a towel dry. It was a job, but the results are beautiful!! All the stains came out and it looks practically new again.
C0CFC917-4F23-426C-9F57-FB00B9F5D1DC.jpeg
5EDFD16C-9BCB-47E0-A282-73A7B132E34C.jpeg
430B09FB-B6F2-48B1-92D3-519A8AAD51DA.jpeg

I can’t say any less for the carpet. It as well, looks amazing. I got it back in and just can’t believe the difference. This is going to shape up to be a beautiful Cruiser. Amazing what a little deep cleaning will do! And man does it ever smell nice.
613593A9-EC33-4FF8-983C-644F539E293C.jpeg

Wow you lucky SOB! Those Cloth Seats are $$!

Last year I stripped my interior to put into my new 80 series and pressure washed it, did you end up putting any sound deadining material underneath the carpet?

This is why I love cruisers, 20 + years old, no oil change for multiple years. Fresh fluids, fire it up and drive it. It will probably be more reliable than a 5 year old Jeep with 50,000 miles and perfect maintenance.

Wow you lucky SOB! Those Cloth Seats are $$!

Last year I stripped my interior to put into my new 80 series and pressure washed it, did you end up putting any sound deadining material underneath the carpet?

No I just went back with the factory padding. I’ve never thought sound deadining was that important for me. I like the noises cruisers make. And I’m not making a competition audio truck. Some heat shield might be nice on the passenger side and I may still add that. Carpet is not fastened in yet. There is still work to be done. I wanted to see how it looked and get it up out of the way. Now on to the seats...

Last edited:
Today I started cleaning up the seats. In addition to playing with cruisers, I have been restoring vintage Hondas for many years. Cleaning them involves disassembling the seats and putting them in the washing machine. I began this approach with this. Started with the drivers seat.
Disassembly was much more involved than a Honda seat. But I got it apart.
50FC4639-5A52-40C9-95C0-5A51A40B313A.jpeg

Got it in the washing machine and it cleaned up nice.

This was way more than I bargained for, so I got to thinking how well my carpet cleaned up. Outside I went with the other seats and cleaned them just as I did the carpet. Soak, soap, scrub, and pressure wash.
These seats were discussing!! The water that came out was unbelievable. They look awesome now.
2D4F5D25-9A36-4308-BDDF-A72F413D0588.jpeg

It’s going to take them quite a while to dry out, but it’s supposed to be nice all weekend, so I just set them out on my trailer to dry.

Also washed the tailgate carpet while I was at it.

6810655D-E323-4C3F-987A-0523953B55CE.jpeg

It has a run in it I will have to tend to, but at least it’s clean!

I may have a tailgate panel for you if i dig deep enough.

Looking good man!

Good time to order new bottom foam or have that one repaired/built up on bolster where worn.

I may have a tailgate panel for you if i dig deep enough.

Looking good man!

Good time to order new bottom foam or have that one repaired/built up on bolster where worn.

Thanks man! I think I’m just going to put a metal strip across the tailgate panel. Think it will look nice when done. But... if you have a nice one and find it, lmk just in case my fix looks stupid.

I looked at replacement foam on SOR but it says the replacement foam is only for leather. I’m assuming they are a different shape. The leather seats seam a little more roundish and thicker. Of course they come with SOR prices $$ I think for a few bucks at the craft store I can rebuild the worn section just fine. Did it on my last cruiser - just used cut up pool noodles. But yes, the butt drag area does need attention - that is why I chose to disassemble this seat first.

Thanks man! I think I’m just going to put a metal strip across the tailgate panel. Think it will look nice when done. But... if you have a nice one and find it, lmk just in case my fix looks stupid.

I looked at replacement foam on SOR but it says the replacement foam is only for leather. I’m assuming they are a different shape. The leather seats seam a little more roundish and thicker. Of course they come with SOR prices $$ I think for a few bucks at the craft store I can rebuild the worn section just fine. Did it on my last cruiser - just used cut up pool noodles. But yes, the butt drag area does need attention - that is why I chose to disassemble this seat first.

Any half way decent car upholsterer can fix the foam on your seats for a few bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom