What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished rebuilding the front birfs and knuckles, heimed my steering, welded that up today. Need longer bolts on two heims so I can get a lock washer and still have threads showing. Calipers, rotors and pads(ebc green stuff), all 7 rubber brake lines into stainless steel, and a lot of needed cleaning. Everything but one bearing looked great, ton of grease in housing though, so I had to mop that out.

Put in 25 hours this weekend on it, both my buddy and me. However, we are both happy we did it.

E31F45E7-50E8-4D75-80FF-EC13801560F0.jpeg

FE777C88-7B07-473F-94D2-1037C21D030A.jpeg

8EAE785C-0380-4604-96FF-BE4836CE4B91.jpeg

Sounds like a fair trade to me :).

I completed my rear brakes this weekend. I was in the same boat as @LS1FJ40 late last week. Heard the metal on metal rumble from my LR wheel. Luckily I had parts on hand to replace.

Replaced:
  • pads
  • calipers
  • rotors
  • rubber lines
  • bled system
Maybe my LSBV has never been bled, but I have to say that is the NASTIEST brake fluid I have ever smelled. It smelled rancid, or like a dead animal. Ugh!

I took it out and locked it up on gravel a dozen times to cycle the ABS and it is nice to have all new brakes (fronts were done last month).

I talked to my buddy today and he is going to do mine while I'm in Europe. I'll get the parts. He charges me $100. I can't argue...

Started off planning to spend the day fishing...

View attachment 1543305 View attachment 1543306 View attachment 1543307

Wasn't really catching anything so just started dicking around on the trails around the river...and then this happened :eek:

View attachment 1543308

View attachment 1543310

Unfortunately the battery had become unsecure in the tray and was just flopping around - causing the metal terminal end to completely break in two.

Anyone have a spare battery hold down clamp? Or whatever the hell its called?

They are available from the dealer for a few bucks. Super cheap. So are the battery terminal thingies. I ordered them off Amazon and keep a couple spares in my truck. I put them on the negative cable as well.

Our 80 did hauling duty this weekend as it was used to move my youngest son's 'stuff' to college. He starts his path to a mechanical eng degree at UC Davis. Empty nest now :(

From playing in the sand with his big brother:

s17a.jpg

To unloading his gear:

s17b.jpg

To settling in his dorm room:

s17c.jpg

cheers,
george.

They are available from the dealer for a few bucks. Super cheap. So are the battery terminal thingies. I ordered them off Amazon and keep a couple spares in my truck. I put them on the negative cable as well.
Glad to hear the dealer still stocks these.

Did the same thing last night, who would've thought you'd need spare metal clamps! Before you know it you're towing an entire 1fz behind you every time you hit the trails...

Took Ms. LCP on a 1514 miles on/off road Adventure from Scottsdale to Moab. Over 5 days with 300+ miles of off road without any issues, with the exception of getting lost.:)

IMG_6318.JPG

Last edited:
Glad to hear the dealer still stocks these.

Did the same thing last night, who would've thought you'd need spare metal clamps! Before you know it you're towing an entire 1fz behind you every time you hit the trails...

They usually have to order them but can have them the next day.

I only carry spares that mean I can get home. You wouldn't have needed the spare battery clamps if you didn't neglect your rig! :rofl:

It was rather rainy this weekend, so I just fixed my halfway broken mirror with the help of this thread. It came out really well! Previously it would stay in, but it was quite shaky, and on about 1/20 times shutting the door, the mirror would fall out and hang by the wires.

IMG_20170924_194942.jpg

I headed out on my own and did a tour of Maine, New Hampshire and ended up camping in Vermont and then finding some nice trails yesterday before heading back to Portland. View attachment 1543536 View attachment 1543537 View attachment 1543538 View attachment 1543539 View attachment 1543540

You did this SOLO?

I guess I would never do that solo, seeing some of that trail. I am not an experienced rock / trail crawler yet (old mud guy from way back), but I would not be confident enough to do that solo, even though I'd like to. I love being out in those types of places on my own.

I hope you're replacing the axle seals too. Hanging the axles on them like that pretty much ruins them.

For sure! Wouldn't make sense to go that far and not replace them. The front axle needed a rebuild, so I figured I'd bite the bullet and do everything at once while I was in there. Didn't want to tear it all down again just to regear later. New calipers, pads, rotors, u-joints, etc. My wallet's taking a beating this month.

Put the 80 to work all weekend taking loads and loads of household goods to my new place on the north shore.
IMG_7394.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

The last family photo at the old house!
IMG_7393.JPG

The 80 finally at home at its new beachouse.
IMG_7401.JPG

And big props to my girl Monyca (local Maui girl) for using a sweet diesel land cruiser to make an appearance in her photo shoot!
IMG_7391.JPG

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP! I adjusted the valves again (this time correctly!) and the ol' 92 sounds like the day she rolled off the lot! Dang! She flat out purrs like a kitten!

And only lost about a half a pint of blood in the process!

Ok!...... so, what’s the trick?

Spent Sunday saying, "Hi, do you have an inner axle seal for a 97 LC?"

Old timer at Bellevue dealership replied, "Ha ha ha, I think I know what you just did. I'll check, but there's no way we . . . Well, I'll be. We have one in stock."

"Put my name on it. I'm on my way."

IMG_20170924_120654.jpg

You did this SOLO?

I guess I would never do that solo, seeing some of that trail. I am not an experienced rock / trail crawler yet (old mud guy from way back), but I would not be confident enough to do that solo, even though I'd like to. I love being out in those types of places on my own.

I had this same thought ... looks cool and would love to do it, just not solo. Especially since my offraod accomplishments currently consist of driving over a parking lot curb at the mall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom