Solar Shore Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Because my 80 is not a DD I wanted shore power for my batteries. I have found keeping batteries fully charge gives them much longer life and what better than solar. I have used the Solar Battery Minder set for several years with excellent results. I mounted the panel on top of the covered area where the 80 rest and mounted the controller high up but easy to see. I wanted an obvious connection point so I did not drive off plugged in.:doh: I mounted the SAE connector so it is easy to plug in and hard to miss when I go to leave. If I plug it in with fully charged batteries it will keep all 180AH charged.

IMG_0274[1].JPG

IMG_0275[1].JPG

Can you expand a bit on how it's wired into your interior and then to your battery(s)?

LCP style simple - The SAE connections is wired to the always hot side of the factory fuse box. My batteries are wired in parallel and never separate so they both charge together.

Pretty cool! How big are the solar panels and how many watts do they generate?

I use a Renogy "solar suitcase" to keep our two travel trailer batteries charged. It generates 100 watts and using it about 90 minutes a day (with full sun) will keep things going until the next day.

Pretty cool! How big are the solar panels and how many watts do they generate?

I use a Renogy "solar suitcase" to keep our two travel trailer batteries charged. It generates 100 watts and using it about 90 minutes a day (with full sun) will keep things going until the next day.

It does not take near what you have available to keep batteries charged, slow and low is better when it comes to batteries. 15watts/1.2amps Its the small panel seen below

IMG_0277[1].JPG

Because my 80 is not a DD I wanted shore power for my batteries. I have found keeping batteries fully charge gives them much longer life and what better than solar. I have used the Solar Battery Minder set for several years with excellent results. I mounted the panel on top of the covered area where the 80 rest and mounted the controller high up but easy to see. I wanted an obvious connection point so I did not drive off plugged in.:doh: I mounted the SAE connector so it is easy to plug in and hard to miss when I go to leave. If I plug it in with fully charged batteries it will keep all 180AH charged.

View attachment 1519046

View attachment 1519041[/

View attachment 1519046

View attachment 1519041

It does not take near what you have available to keep batteries charged, slow and low is better when it comes to batteries. 15watts/1.2amps Its the small panel seen below

View attachment 1519676
now he tells me, I literally just got the 100 watt suticase, so now I hve two folders renorgy and a humless 100 and a new 100 watt rigid I planned on mounting up top and thought better of it.

now he tells me, I literally just got the 100 watt suticase, so now I hve two folders renorgy and a humless 100 and a new 100 watt rigid I planned on mounting up top and thought better of it.

Keep in mind all Im doing is keeping my batteries charged while home. I do have 100watt on top of my CampTeq for my accessories while out.

Keep in mind all Im doing is keeping my batteries charged while home. I do have 100watt on top of my CampTeq for my accessories while out.
whew. cause I was sitting here going WTF I have 3 complete set ups I get like that always wanted a land cruiser and this one is great. needed a lot of bringing back to where 80bajabound(mike) left it other very short POs werent good at upkeep

Batteryminder solar charger controller is great. I recently let my aux battery depleted to 11.6V when I put the kayak on roof rack for days. The Morningstar MPPT Sunsaver charger controller would recharge it back to full charge during the day but as soon as the sun goes out, the charge went down to 11.6V. Tried to keep it fully charge by combining the batteries, charge with solar during day time, wall charging during night time, but it got sulfated bad enough that it would not hold charge as soon I isolated the batteries. I didnt want to spend $200 for another group 31 AGM battery so I took my chance with the Batteryminder Solar Charger SCC180. Swapped out the Morningstar, 3 days later with the SCC180, my aux battery is fully working and holding charge like it was before. I have now wired the charger to charge both batteries simultaneously.

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDe...03787267&sr=8-2&keywords=Batteryminder+scc180

So doesn't that keep you topped up while at home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom