315/75's in the spare tire area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, looked through the forums a bit and couldn't find a solid answer. Can you fit a 315/75/16 in the spare tire area under the 80?

About to install a OME 2.5 lift and thinking a 1" body lift to go along with it plus this wits end kit below.

80 Series Tire Leveling Kit

Going for that "stock but lifted" look and trying to keep it simple without dropping 1k on a rear tire carrier. Not really feeling carrying it inside or on the roof either.

Any pics out there? Still to large with all that lifting? maybe deflate the tire some?

You are looking at a max of 34.25" because of two things: the Panhard and the Hitch. The tire is squeezed between the two.

Hummmmmm Yokohama says the geolanders come out to 34.5 overall with a 315. Ill do some measurements with my hitch when I get home. I'd hate to go 33s over the spare. Anybody got a warn down geolander? Lol Thanks for the help!

Here's some pics of a 315/75/16 BFG, which measures small. It's pretty worn, but I've fit a new one back there. This is with the DIY tire lift thing using 3" tubing IIRC. No hitch tho, so i'm not sure how that plays into it.

grtFcav.jpg

JeQGldL.jpg

nZ7C56n.jpg

It fits fine without a tow hitch, but hangs very low and looks a little bit silly. Mine's there now.

Land Cruisers don't need spare tires!

I tried the same with a 315/75R16 Toyo MT. You will most likely need to remove the receiver hitch so not to rub on the rear diff arms. Hitch came easy enough though with 4 or 6 bolts. I also have the 3" pipes that raise the spare higher into the pocket, but this may have limited returns with a full 315 as it may touch on the bumper flange. Depending on your use, this may be a good opportunity to use a worn down spare. The lugs on a good 315 are 15-21/32nds tall x 2. Thus a more bald spare with say 1/3 to 1/2 tread could save you 1/2 to 1" of room. I believe I posted pics of this setup on the forum before.

Checked on those BF K02s and they come out to 34.5 as well with a 315. Sounds like I'm just going to buy all the stuff and see if it fits and if not remove the tow hitch. Or possibly find a used tire for the spare. I think the wits end tire lift kit with a 1" body lift (along with the 2.5" already there) will probably look less silly and pretty tucked.

Ko2 can be squeezed in without the hitch. Brand new 315 with the tire lift from Wit's end btw ;)

20161204_155529.jpg

Pan hard clearance- I need to revisit this soon and make sure it's still gtg.

20161204_155643.jpg

Did you mount the spare to the stock mount, or move it up to fill the void left from where Mr T so wisely decided to NOT give us a ROW sub tank?

Neither my General Red Labels or my Duratracs fit in the OEM location when I tried. (it was not even close) Now with the 4x4 Labs bumper not a chance. My 296/75r16 Nitto TG barely fit way back when. For the record I do have the LandTank extended LCA. Those are moving the axle back a little I don't recall when I installed those in relation to when I tried fitting a 315 down there. But if your running 315's there is a good chance your also correcting for rear pinion as well.

If your wheeling the truck hard enough to need 315's then your not going to want one hanging down that low anyway even if you get it to fit. Either mount it indoors or steep up to a rear carrier.

Solid info guys! The plan will be 315/75/16s geolanders on a ome 2.5 lift. Add in a 1" body lift with the wits end spare lift. Add even more spacers if the body lift allows it. Try a used tire first and if that doesn't work remove the hitch. Ill report back in March sometime when I get all this together.

UPDATE: Finally bringing this thread back from the dead now that I have found a spare tire and installed it.

So to update everyone I had a theory you could fit a "35" in the spare area and make it look good with a body lift and the Wits End tire leveling kit.

Luckily ACC Garage had a spare of a 315/75/16 they could sell me and it came with a wheel. Saving me a ton of money swapping tires around.
(on another note that shop is amazing and you should go see them)

Like i mentioned this is a 315/75/16 and not a true 35" but its what tire I run. (geolanders) The tire I got from ACC is pretty worn down, maybe 15% life left in it, perfect for my spare application. This gets me to about 34" total give or take. I have the factory tow hitch and everything on the tire leveling kit maxed out to the back and as high as it will go.

But as you can see in the photos its totally doable.

Giving up on the embedded images but here is the album.

Is still a little goofy, but if your not willing to drop 1k on a swing out setup and you dont want to put it on your roof (terrible idea) this is a pretty solid cheap way to mount it.

Its still around $200 to get it all done but at least you get 1 inch of lift out of it as well.

Also good for those guys that do have swing outs and want two spares.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom