Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm worried about this soft line that runs from the fuel tank up to the stock fuel filter. At the filter, a PO dabbed silicone around that fitting. I need to replace the filter that's in that glass bowl at least. I'm concerned that I might trigger a fuel leak.

IMG_1847.jpg

SOR sells this part (above) that connects to the fuel tank. Then, you can connect black rubber 1/4" fuel line to it and run to the fuel filter. Problem is, this part is $45. Anyone know another way to do this?

I'd like to remove the fuel tank from the truck so I can empty out the old fuel. I want to disconnect this fuel line. I need to be sure I can re-seal this thing and not dork anything up. I'll use two wrenches, I guess. Which of the two hex things do I turn and which do I hold?

IMG_1850.JPG

The nut next to tank. If I remember the other one will turn free.
JP

Just catching up on your thread. While your going thru your wiring I would pull the grill and damper door for the center cowl vent and check the inline fuse unless you know the hazard flashers are working. That was the only thing I was unable to fix on the wiring in my 68 after I bought it (never figured out how the original owner could mess up the wiring in just six years). Took it to the dealer who quoted me a huge amount to repair. Told me had to pull all the dash apart to get to the fuse. Guess I was lucky was just to poor to afford it. Later by accident found it under the damper sitting on top of the harness like this was the way Toyota designed it to be replaced. I'm sure the dealer knew this and figure they would take advantaged of some dumb kid. Guess I was even poorer then I was dumb.

SOR sells this part (above) that connects to the fuel tank. Then, you can connect black rubber 1/4" fuel line to it and run to the fuel filter. Problem is, this part is $45. Anyone know another way to do this?

I sell them for a third of that price. And it's designed for 5/16, like the OE.

We really should talk.

I sell them for a third of that price. And it's designed for 5/16, like the OE.

We really should talk.

Thanks Mark. I'll call you this week.

Just catching up on your thread. While your going thru your wiring I would pull the grill and damper door for the center cowl vent and check the inline fuse unless you know the hazard flashers are working. That was the only thing I was unable to fix on the wiring in my 68 after I bought it (never figured out how the original owner could mess up the wiring in just six years). Took it to the dealer who quoted me a huge amount to repair. Told me had to pull all the dash apart to get to the fuse. Guess I was lucky was just to poor to afford it. Later by accident found it under the damper sitting on top of the harness like this was the way Toyota designed it to be replaced. I'm sure the dealer knew this and figure they would take advantaged of some dumb kid. Guess I was even poorer then I was dumb.

Thank you. I don't know how to pull the grill and damper door. Are you referring to the grill just behind the hood and just in front of the windshield?

This thing?

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG

@65swb45

Sent you $ for parts as discussed.

Above are pics of my "Odd Six Month 69" carb. Note banjo fuel line connection at carb. Go figger. :) My truck seems to have weird features!

Wish I could help you. I have a 3/69-9/69 carburator somewhere, bought it back in the eighties. Thought it would be a upgrade to my 68 F145. I later picked up the correct air cleaner. That I know right where it is. One these years I'll open a box and find the carburator.

Wish I could help you. I have a 3/69-9/69 carburator somewhere, bought it back in the eighties. Thought it would be a upgrade to my 68 F145. I later picked up the correct air cleaner. That I know right where it is. One these years I'll open a box and find the carburator.

Thanks! Discussed this carb with Mark. I'm now wondering about the connection of the fuel line to the carb. It is a banjo type fitting. I've looked thru many carb pics, and never seen one like that. Is that banjo an added thing? The stock fitting would not have been a banjo, would it?

The decel valve on my carb does not seem to have a power source so it ain't working anyway.

IMG_1893.JPG

Just noticed my 40 has two choke cables!!

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom