How does my 1st gen Tundra compare to a 80 or 100 (or 4th gen 4R)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So ...many months and a bunch of test drives later (80's, 100s, 4th gen 4Runner, GX470, even an FJ!)...I've sold the Jeep and still have the Tundra as my only vehicle. In an unfortunately turn of events, about a week after the Jeep was gone, the Tundra rear diff started leaking...the dreaded axle-rust out. So I welded it up on the bottom and after a week or two it began leaking from the top (I guess I wire-wheeled too much of the rust off!). So now, in theory I am more motivated to get a rig since I've got a time-bomb ticking now (if I ever get another vehicle I'm going to order an axle from down south and swap it in when I can work on it a leisurely pace, but for now I'm just keeping an eye on things).

So (yes, here we go again!)most recently I have been thinking - GX470. Test drove one the other day - it was nice, probably a good size for trails and a decent DD. But another boring old IFS rig, but it might be a good middle ground for me (prices are pretty decent compared to the other platforms it seems).

Of course, adding to my options - I was thinking that since I am fiddling with my Tundra rear-end I could get a locker while I'm in there and wheel that, but it isn't much good as a family wheeler (and my daughter complains that it stinks due to the bottles of gear oil in the back). It's only got 160k miles and a new frame, so once I get my TX axle it'll be brand new.

Then again, maybe I should get a bunch of rigs like everyone else who can't make up their minds!

I do appreciate all the comments, it is interesting to hear everyone's feedback.

Don

Axle Housings - RuffStuff Specialties if your considering building a new one that might not be a bad option. the other option would be a junk yard axle for the housing, use your known good parts and keep the rest a spares if you have space.

having a fresh frame and assuming the rest is still in pretty good shape getting an axle, new or used but in good shape, is what i would go for.

Axle Housings - RuffStuff Specialties if your considering building a new one that might not be a bad option. the other option would be a junk yard axle for the housing, use your known good parts and keep the rest a spares if you have space.

having a fresh frame and assuming the rest is still in pretty good shape getting an axle, new or used but in good shape, is what i would go for.

That RuffStuff axle is pretty interesting looking, but I'm going for a recycled one. You can get them on ebay, drum to drum for $700-$800 bucks from TX. That sounds good to me, although I am also going to talk with my local yard to see what they have. The backing plates on my current one are pretty rusty so I figure I'll pull the diff and and swap in the other axle complete.

And then I just have to replace my tow-hitch/bumper, which also rusted out, and she'll be 100%. The road salt is brutal on these things up here.

Thanks.

Dont discount IFS as being a boring rig, my 99% stock 100 series is a blast! Great DD and and took me to moab, ouray and many other trails around CO.

Dont discount IFS as being a boring rig, my 99% stock 100 series is a blast! Great DD and and took me to moab, ouray and many other trails around CO.

Agreed!!! My 100 was a ton of fun to drive when all it had was tires and is a ton of fun to drive now that it is a bit more built up and used for longer offroad trips. If you are expecting a lot of DD time and highway driving I would say go with the "boring and lame" 100 or the GX (whichever fits your size requirements, budget, and local availability more). Don't get me wrong 80s are awesome and you can fit a really big tire under there for much cheaper than you can a 100 (or any IFS for that matter) but if you are looking for a DD that can handle some rough offroad duty on the weekends and has a bit more ass for pulling a trailer then the 100 or GX is worth a serious look.

I was in the same boat when I started looking for a land cruiser and was between an 80 or 100. I travel a lot for work especially highway and dealing with a straight 6 and solid axle wasn't appealing to me when 90% of the use of the rig will be daily driving (vehicle age factored into it as well). I have no regrets at all and my 100 has taken me down all kinds of trails, just sometimes on a more cautious line... its hard not being able to fit 37s and a 6" lift ;)

Last edited:
I think the major drawback of the 1st gen Tundra is the turning radius. On paper it doesn't seem like much more than the others, but in practice is seems pretty large.

I like it as a DD, but it just seems a bit big for trail riding.

I'd be interested to hear how you think maneuvers compared to your 80?

Thanks,
Don

I don't know if you're referring to the crew cab version, but mine has a super tight turning radius. It turns tighter than my friend's Mazda 6, and I've never had trouble maneuvering it through the trails. Size wise, I think it's the perfect compromise between a tacoma and a newer tundra.

If I had to own just one I don’t know what I would do. The 80 is...well it’s an 80 series. The 100 is stupid smooth and lulls me to sleep on the highway. Your scenario would have me leaning towards the 100 series. Good luck with your search.

Well, I'll say this:

I've owned several land cruisers and loved each of them for different reasons. I built a 97 with 37s, 5.29 gears, fully locked and ready for anything. It was wound to tight on the hoghway with those gears, and I live 800 miles from my favorite adventure area. Sold it and built a 2003 (100 series) with 34s, 4.88s, fully locked and a well rounded off road travel vehicle. It had no fun factor to it, so I sold it and built another 80 series. This time I was more realistic about how I use the truck. I went with 36s, 4.88s, fully locked, armored, and ready for anything. This was a well built, extremely capable machine. My family of 4 out grew the truck, and we started pulling a Turtleback Trailer on our adventures. The 80 series is a slug. Slow in every sense of the word, but super fun vehicle. I just sold it and bought a 2006 Tundra with the V8 VVTI Motor. This thing runs way better power wise than any of my land cruisers ever dreamed of running. I've just started the build on it, so time will tell how I like it. I'll tell you this though, it pulls the trailer like it's not even there.
Great response. I own a 2002 Tundra AC and can't say enough good things about the engine. I just got my 2F running in my FJ40 and it is like going back in time, even scary at times to drive 50mph but hey it is a lot of fun just not a long trip kind of rig and avoiding any interstates for the life of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom