Noisey front diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guu

Threads
evening guys, I'm getting a bad grinding noise from the front of my fj73 Only happens in 4wd when I go above 50kph and let of the accelerator. I've done a bit of research and it suggests it could be the pinion bearing. But I've unbolted the front prop shaft and given the flange a wiggle and there is no movement.

This noise has started since I replaced the axle housing. The front prop shaft which can change length was jammed. I freed it up so it can move in and out and now I have this noise.

Can pinion bearings go but there be no movement in the flange? Can the differential be rebuilt? What does a rebuild consist off and are there any move checks I can go with the diff still in the car?

This is an early 1985 fj73 with the same size diff on the front as the back.

When I got my FJ73 , the backing plate inside the yolk was missing. So even when you pumped it full of grease it wouldn't stay in the splines and I got a grinding in 4wd as you took your foot off the accelerator.
You may have some other reason grease isn't getting to the splines.
They can certainly be rebuilt. I paid around $7-800 for a quality rebuild in Perth. Must be someone on the island that can do it.

Thanks for you reply mate. I had the cruiser for 6 months and no problem with front diff till I bent the housing. Since it's been replaced I got the issue. The diff was out for a little while so maybe it just needs regressing?

Can I regresase this in situ?

Remove the front prop shaft, undo the center nut and grease? Or is it not so simple and all the inner axles need to come out again?

Ah is the yoke on the end of the prop shaft I can see it has a nipple for greasing maybe I just need to grease that. I hope I got bogged in bad send and it made pretty bad noise hope I haven't CF'd it and done then splines. Is 75 front prop shaft the same as 73?

Grease is cheap. When you pump the grease in you should see it pressurise slightly. Sometime the nipple needs changing or cleaning.
All the prop shafts are the same year for year, at least for the front. I bought a good used yolk because the part I needed is not sold separately and the cost of making one was more that of a used unit

Right I've greased the u joints and I've still got noise. I actually think it maybe from the transfer case! I have drained the oil and the oil which was in there was nice and clean and no metal shavings on the drain plug.

I get a noise when I am in 4wd high and cruising though it is quite faint and then a louder grinding type noise when I am decelerating.

What is the best way to check this out to begin with? Have the vehicle jacked up so all wheel off the ground and get a mate to run it while I have a cautious look & listen underneath?..

Right I've greased the u joints

Did you do the splines on the slip joint?

What is the best way to check this out to begin with? Have the vehicle jacked up so all wheel off the ground and get a mate to run it while I have a cautious look & listen underneath?..

It a good way to eliminate problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom