The Dobinsons MRR have arrived! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Kyle, I see you posted some details on GXOR about the long travel rear springs from Dobinson's. I don't have fb and only lurk there- but do they (Dobinson's) have a rear shock that will work with the long travel springs? If so, will you please share details on those. I'm looking at the MT/Icon LT setup for the rear but may go this route. Thanks.

Hi Kyle, I see you posted some details on GXOR about the long travel rear springs from Dobinson's. I don't have fb and only lurk there- but do they (Dobinson's) have a rear shock that will work with the long travel springs? If so, will you please share details on those. I'm looking at the MT/Icon LT setup for the rear but may go this route. Thanks.

They sure do! There are nitro gas long travel rear shocks that pair with the variable rate springs. They're $230/pair +shipping. Shoot me a PM if you're looking for more info.

Last edited:
Interested to see some side shots now that it's all done

Here's a profile shot front the beach yesterday, i'll work on getting some more this week.

Photo Jun 18, 11 15 26 AM.jpg

How much lift did you get on the rear?

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense actually. Btw your rig has a nice balance between tire size and lift. Looks very capable yet not outlandish looking. Keep us updated on the springs, i'm a big fan of the Dobinsons gear.

Thank you! Didn't want to go nuts, but wanted to be capable. I'll start a "build thread" one of these days...

Hey @Kyle Fogle

Looks like it’s been about three months since an update. How have these been performing? I was thinking about waiting for the OME BP51s but this Dobinsons kit looks like a good compromise in price vs performance. I think I also heard that Dobinsons is coming out with a UCA for the GX470. Any info on that?

Last question - Can you fit a 255/80 in your stock spare tire location?

Hey @Kyle Fogle

Looks like it’s been about three months since an update. How have these been performing? I was thinking about waiting for the OME BP51s but this Dobinsons kit looks like a good compromise in price vs performance. I think I also heard that Dobinsons is coming out with a UCA for the GX470. Any info on that?

Last question - Can you fit a 255/80 in your stock spare tire location?

I'm still very happy with how it's been performing both on and off road. I did end up swapping to the medium duty dual rate rear coil, and it made an improvement in the ride over the linear rate coil as well as handled load changes without a terrible amount of sag due to the increasing spring rate. LT aside, the dual rate coil is a really nice addition to an already good setup, and is worth the extra $30 in my opinion.

There is a Dobinsons UCA coming out, i've got a couple presold and my own set is ordered as well. The should start shipping early next week. They have 3* caster built in, with OE style ball joints, and rubber bushings. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

DSC_0376.jpg

File_008.jpeg

Edit: fat fingered the caster

Last edited:
Your rig is looking good. I have nothing but good things to say about the Dobinsons dual rates i'm running in my 80. If I decide to upgrade the wife's 120 suspension before next years big trip I will almost certainly go with a Dobinsons setup. Are you going to post prices for kits and UCA's in the vendor section, or is it PM only ?

Can you elaborate on the benefits of the Dobinsons UCAs? How do they compare to the other UCAs available on the market? What makes one “better” than another?

I think @Kyle Fogle would be better suited to that as I currently run only OEM on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom