Tires for snow and ice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey Gang,
I'm looking for new tires and with winter right around the corner would like a set that are good in and on snow and ice. 2000 Lx 470.
What do you recommend and do you buy online?
Thank you.

Upstate NY here and I have had good luck with GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac's (285/75 r16) on LC during snow season. I'm comfortable with TireRack and my local Firestone for the install. I haven't had the LC for more than a couple of years so I don't have years of this tire vs that tire, however we have 90" of average snow so....... I'm familiar with the white stuff.

I recently got some Cooper Discover AT3s and have read some great reviews of this tire in the snow..

My vote is for Bridgestone DM-V2 in size 265/75/16 (slightly thinner tire than stock)

These are great studless snows. On previous vehicles I have used Bridgestone ws70 (great car snow tire) and Firestone winter force which were OK but wore fast.

I get my tires though tirerack.com There are great reviews on there as well. Usually I drive to the warehouse to pick up but have had them shipped to me as well.

I use these bridge stones DM-V2 on my wife's RX350 and they have been great.

I recently got some Cooper Discover AT3s and have read some great reviews of this tire in the snow..

I have the ATP's on my LX, and they've been great in the snow here in CO

I second the recommendation of Bridgestone DM-V2s as I have used them for the past 2 winters here.
Modern studless snows outperform studded tires in 95 percent of winter conditions with the added
benefit of not sounding like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Mine are not snows, but I've got General Grabbers AT2s on two Land Cruisers and love them. Really impressive in snow and ice. My ex-husband even has them on his Tundra which he plows with.

I run KO2's and they have done well.

If you're LX is road-use only, don't bother with KO2's. Blizzaks all the way. Avoid studded, as they will reduce traction on pavement, and can be loud. Some Denver folks get studded, and it's a waste. We get big snow storms, sure, but it'll be plowed the next day. They're stuck with an inferior tire for the majority of winter.

If you go off-roading, or need a tougher tire, the KO2 is a great choice. It will NOT outperform the Blizzak on ice or hard pack snow, however.

Havent had them through a winter yet but went with falken at3w. they were winter rated. nice and quite ish on 8 hour road trip too.

Are you looking for a winter only tire?

I run Goodyear Duratracs on my LC in Colorado year round and they have been really good in the snow. Not as good as a true snow tire though.

I got my Duratracs at Discount Tire. Amazing customer service.

Nokians
I run studded on all my trucks. We travel for skiing extensively and have gone through some serious snow and ice with them. I don't find the studs bad for nose or handling on dry roads.
If you ever get ice storms studless will not help nearly as much as studs.

I started doing this after nearly sliding into a lake with my wife and kids in the car. Now I feel secure in all winter conditions.
I have always had good luck with the Nokians and figure the folks in Finland likely have some knowledge about driving in winter conditions.
good luck
John

Thanks everybody. Our State does not allow studs and they will be used for winter only.
How many of you folks with two sets of tire have rims for each?

Duratrac

I live on the ND/Canada border. I run duratracs in two vehicles year-round and they are great.

I had K02 but, in my opinion, Duratracs were better in snow/ice.

I didn’t know the K02 were a winter rated tire....?

Mine are not snows, but I've got General Grabbers AT2s on two Land Cruisers and love them. Really impressive in snow and ice. My ex-husband even has them on his Tundra which he plows with.

X2 for GGAT2s.

Extreme snow and ice rated. I have them on some pretty slippery mountain trails and have confidence in them.

Another vote for Duratracs. Very dependable in the mud, sand, rocks and snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom