Fuel Tank Capacity Not Being Fully Used (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading through the aux fuel tank group buy thread, it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask the group.

When I run the fuel tank in my 16' to the fuel light or slightly beyond, or no miles showing on my range, I can only put in about 17-18 gallons at the pump. I read the LC had a 24.7 gal tank.

1. The last 6-7 gallons does not register on the fuel gauge in my car, is that typical for the LC?

2. Is all of the 24.7 gallon fuel tank useable fuel?

Thanks!

This sounds normal to me. I think I've only put over 20 gallons in the tank one time. I'm sure it's possible - but obviously not advisable - to run out of fuel.

I think the key here is to distinguish between "cruising range" and "bone dry" relative to the tank's capacity. Meaning, cruising range at zero suggests, "hey buddy, start looking for a gas station and stop being a casual driver (i.e. 'cruising') enjoying the scenery pass you by" - at least that's how I think about the "cruising range" measurement on my dashboard. I think others have measured that cruising range=0 means you still have a few (2?, 4? 5.7?) gallons of gas before bone dry.

Last edited:
Cruising range is calculated based on recent driving conditions to hit zero with 4 gallons left.
I put 22.2 gallons in today, the most I've delved into the 4 gallon past zero mark.

@757driver Yes, no trapped fuel, no requirement to turn off the center pumps, no need to update the winds, just a fairly poor reading gauge.

I have driven on the highway to fuel light + 50 miles and still not hit 21 gal on my fill up. I've noticed that neither highway nor city driving seems to affect any calculation.

This generally has gone contrary to almost any other vehicle I've driven that told me I had, generally speaking, 40-50 miles to go and here we're looking at nearly double that.

After reading through the aux fuel tank group buy thread, it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask the group.

When I run the fuel tank in my 16' to the fuel light or slightly beyond, or no miles showing on my range, I can only put in about 17-18 gallons at the pump. I read the LC had a 24.7 gal tank.

1. The last 6-7 gallons does not register on the fuel gauge in my car, is that typical for the LC?

2. Is all of the 24.7 gallon fuel tank useable fuel?

Thanks!

The fuel light and "Range 0 miles" basically means you're down to about 4 or 5 gallons in the tank.

Edit: I've crammed a full 24 gallons (out of 24.6) at the pump just one time, but only after driving about 65 miles past the low fuel light notice.

Last edited:
This makes "cruising range" utterly pointless. It should say "range" and it should be accurate. Good to know that it's not... maybe I could have avoided a midnight hot refuel with rotopax in Moab.

Cruising range is calculated based on recent driving conditions to hit zero with 4 gallons left.
I put 22.2 gallons in today, the most I've delved into the 4 gallon past zero mark.

How many miles while on zero? How were you driving?

Isn't the 200 fuel capacity only 24.x gallons?
Are you a sorcerer? :)

Heh... Ya, it's 24.6...

I just remembered hitting the last gallon. -So 24...not 26!

Details... :hillbilly:

This makes "cruising range" utterly pointless. It should say "range" and it should be accurate. Good to know that it's not... maybe I could have avoided a midnight hot refuel with rotopax in Moab.
Agreed! I like the obdii app UltraGauge which tells me a bit more 'truth' of remaining range. No excuse for 'cruising range' to be so misleading.

CR: 167
UG: 222

IMG_20170922_160623.jpg

Screenshot_20170922-160639.png

^^^ Not familiar with scan or ultra, how does the gauge know that exactly?

I'm not sure it doesn't use the same 'math' but it doesn't impose an artificial floor for safety (?) reasons. I could be wrong, it's happened before ;)

Good info from everyone. Thanks.

I must say i'm not a fan of the LC fuel gauge then. I like knowing, with a reasonable degree of accuracy, how much fuel I have left in my tank. Maybe its just the pilot in me though.

On a side note, if the larger aftermarket fuel tank was a simple swap for the current one I would be all about it. Too bad it's not.

@blatant , I went 12 miles past 0, then picked up the boat from storage and drove another 4.

I usually get 6 mpg towing the wind anchor.

My light comes on at 19.5 gallons (5 gallons left) like clockwork.

Furthest I've gone was 22.1 gallons. I passed the Moab exit and it's 65 miles to Fruita, CO. Range read 68 miles, but started creeping down every time we ascended. I ended up slowing down from 72 to 55-60 mph. But I was towing and getting about 7.5 mpg, so it felt pretty close.

One thing I'd caution you guys when towing or loaded down, fuel will shift to the back of the tank. I ran out of gas in my 3rd gen 4Runner once with it still reading 1/8 tank because I was pulling a uhaul. I thought it was the fuel pump going bad since I could normally run the tank below empty. As soon as we took the uhaul off the truck started up.

I think it might be a percentage too. Since the Tundra refresh in 16 and the 38 gallon tank upgrade, I've had two customers back in the showroom flipping out because they can only get 31 gallons in when they are "empty".

Just now at Costco:

E46AA376-2DDF-47A8-B5FF-16286E44D05A.jpeg

So yes...it can use the full capacity...and there was no spill.

I should have kept going until I saw gas at the top just to see how much could be squeezed in, but didn’t wanna slow down the long line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom