Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wednesday.

No motor.

I did pass my final exam today so all this building in between studying didn’t kill me. The guys at Fastnal said it will be here so I’m not going to hump their legs all day.

@reevesci is spot on as always and had my fender skirts to me today

A132A3C7-3484-4899-B49A-13D6AF789993.jpeg

He also shipped me his CChannel kit. I’ll wait till this girl is ambulatory before I tackle that job.

I really hope this motor arrives. My AFI Pro @FJ60Cam is lined up to come help me this weekend and he’s sitting on go.

Wednesday.

No motor.

I did pass my final exam today so all this building in between studying didn’t kill me. The guys at Fastnal said it will be here so I’m not going to hump their legs all day.

@reevesci is spot on as always and had my fender skirts to me today

View attachment 1540818

He also shipped me his CChannel kit. I’ll wait till this girl is ambulatory before I tackle that job.

I really hope this motor arrives. My AFI Pro @FJ60Cam is lined up to come help me this weekend and he’s sitting on go.
Very nice build and like the professional touch on the fuel lines. I would have just clamped the Sh*t out of it due to being lazy. Entertaining read as well. Look forward to seeing the motor go in there.

37D893BE-EAD4-4B57-A0F3-93B4C48E0754.png

9/22 is tomorrow. Maybe it comes to the correct Madison Mississippi this time. Fingers crossed.

3E6F83CF-ED30-4998-B5EC-D76D0A48BEF0.jpeg

I cracked open the DUI distributor that shipped separately. This is an upgrade available when buying the AFI. No vacuum advance. It is built for this system and that is why it takes longer. AFI gets them from DUI.
6AFDEC8A-AE41-48DD-8F72-AEB2F403252C.png

I realized that I did not order plugs nor did I order plug wires.

Back when I put the DUI sticker on Project Patina I spoke directly to the guys at DUI in person in Memphis and they really like the Live Wires to complete their system. They also like Autometer plugs for the 2F.

I dug up my old order in summit and hit the $25 upgrade overnight shipping option

So, anyone that is following along and making a parts list....don’t forget the plugs and wires. Parts numbers for Summit in the pics above.

Terrible about your engine delay. I read some about wires yesterday and were wondering if you were going the crimp your own method or not.

On a side note how tall is your air breather adapter? I am working on that part still.

I’ll get you measurements.

So, how much does a new 2F EFI swap cost?

Other than a random trip to the parts store, it looks like I’m ready to answer that question

80BC827D-75E6-4CFC-ADAC-A4FEA7F107A7.png
E90DDD33-7411-4F07-AD64-15E289482D7C.png

Can it be done cheaper?

Absolutely.

Can it costs more?

Likely. It all depends on your skill level and your willingness to use non-OEM parts, initial engine costs, and ability to reuse parts off your old motor.

Is spending $7000 to go back with a 135 hp motor the right call? We shall see. I will give an honest opinion on that question soon enough.

There's a Fastenal across the street from my office (in ATL). Maybe it's there. I can go pick it up right now bring it immediately.

FIFY :grinpimp:

Looks awesome. I love following your cruiser stories. thanks for posting the cost details, helps LC noobs plan for the future...

It definitely showcases why true "frame off" rebuilds are so costly. There are always incidentals and all the parts cost cash.

Oh yes. These things are tar babies.

N,

I have a 2FE (all yota) kit that has been sitting on a pallet for over a year. Maybe once I get the move behind me I'll do it. Curious to see your experiences with power, fuel mileage, and dependability over the 2F'er

J

View attachment 1541673

I love me some OEM but when it comes down to it, that looks like MAY more work.

My 60 ran great. Burned a ton of oil but I kept up with MPG.

I too am interested to see. I was mainly looking for reliability and simplicity. Hope it works out.

I love me some OEM but when it comes down to it, that looks like MAY more work.

My 60 ran great. Burned a ton of oil but I kept up with MPG.

I too am interested to see. I was mainly looking for reliability and simplicity. Hope it works out.

Yes, my Poppy 60 runs great as is, dependable as all get out and 14.5 mpg. But I have 3 other 60s and one will get the 2FE eventually.

But, for 1000.00 for all parts, new and used with a rebuild head, I wasn't gonna pass that deal up.

J

FI is hard to dislike. In fact, almost impossible.,.

Until you drive a diesel lol. I installed an afi kit on an fj40 a couple of years ago. I really hope yours works out better than mine did. It was an absolute nightmare for me to diagnose and work out all the kinks....which I eventually did and it wasn't too bad after that.

The AFI premium kit plus everything needed is about $1500

If you have a dead carburetor it will cost:

$300 City/Troll Carb
$200 recurve dizzy

So....is EFI worth $1000?

We shall see. I’m betting yes.

Until you drive a diesel lol. I installed an afi kit on an fj40 a couple of years ago. I really hope yours works out better than mine did. It was an absolute nightmare for me to diagnose and work out all the kinks....which I eventually did and it wasn't too bad after that.

What were the kinks?

I hate a diesel. No thanks.

We bought the whole "kit" from afi including the electronic distributor they supplied. At the time the fuel pump they supplied came with a half inch outlet barb which we couldn't find a reducer for anywhere. Ended up having to use a couple of adapters just to hook a 5/16 hose to it. I believe the first problem was an extremely rich condition. The no name brand o2 sensor turned out to be biased lean. Replaced that with a bosch unit. With that fixed it had an intermittent skip at steady cruise...after wasting hours and hours trouble shooting I found a corroded solder joint in the distributor pick up. Replaced that and then after a few days or so it strarted running like crap again, something had caused the cheap aftermarket cap and rotor to corrode on the inside. Replaced those with oem Toyota parts. Let's see after that it developed another drive ability problem were it would run like crap until you slapped the ecu a few times and it cleared up. This one got progressively worse and we had to get a new ecu shipped priority to a post office in Ouray, Colorado to continue a road trip. With the new ecu it ran ok....on first starts of the day you had to let it idle 15-30 before driving or it'd run like crap. I documented all of this in realtime in the 75 build thread in my sig.

Maybe I just had bad luck? I know Dave installed an afi kit recently and his went really smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom