Real Time Help - Las Vegas, NV - FJ60 2F Pushrod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Removed the rocker assembly from the 2F in my '84 FJ60 and pulled the mushroomed pushrod (#7) to replace it with a good used one from another engine, what I thought was the 2F out of an '86 FJ60. But the good pushrod is 268mm long and the pushrods in the '84 2F are 276mm long. I thought all 2F pushrods were the same. Two options - use the shorter pushrod and adjust the valve accordingly (don't know if this can be done or not) or try to find a good used pushrod here locally from another MUD member. We fly back home to New Mexico Friday morning and was hoping to get the '84 running again before we leave. Does anyone here in Las Vegas have a 276mm long pushrod laying around, or know where I can get one? @erse @Mace @pngunme @jetranger @mrboatman

Last edited:
I likely have one somewhere... just have to find them..

Sorry i do not. Let me know if I can be of some other assistance.

I likely have one somewhere... just have to find them..
That would be great. We'll be in town late this afternoon/early evening - not enough excitement out here in Indian Springs today.

I won't be home till after 6:30 pm. But will look then

Funny, I also thought all FJ60 2F push rods were the same. The earlier 2F head 75-79 was different and it would not surprise me if they had a longer push rod. This would be a good question for @FJ40Jim .

If you can't get one in Las Vegas, I think I have some in the stash if you want to PM me but it would take a couple of days to get there.

Brand new to original there is a definite difference. I found that fact when I bought a new one for num 3 or 4. Those numbers seem vastly different tho. I didn't actually measure I just laid them next to each other and took a pix.

IMG_8086.JPG

I wonder if the 3F pushrod was the one they gave you

Stroke of a 2f = 101.6mm
Stroke of a 3F = 95
That's a 6.6mm difference.

276 - 268 = 8mm length of the rods.

There also was a change in the rocker arm height (corresponds to the long and short Valve covers) IIRC. Although I've heard conflicting things about that. Some say that you cannot use the later valve cover on an earlier motor, but then others have done it. I have not been curious enough to try it myself.

I wonder if the 3F pushrod was the one they gave you

Stroke of a 2f = 101.6mm
Stroke of a 3F = 95
That's a 6.6mm difference.

276 - 268 = 8mm length of the rods.

There also was a change in the rocker arm height (corresponds to the long and short Valve covers) IIRC. Although I've heard conflicting things about that. Some say that you cannot use the later valve cover on an earlier motor, but then others have done it. I have not been curious enough to try it myself.
I've got a spare 3FE head/rocker assembly/pushrods in the garage back home, and will check the pushrod length when I get back tomorrow evening. You may be right. I've also got a spare 3FE short block - I wonder where that came from :).

Well, I got the rocker assembly buttoned back up and torqued to FSM specs after replacing the pushrod. Readjusted #7 and verified the other 11 valves. Everything's ready to fire it up when I'm back out to Nevada sometime in October or early November. Probably needs some fresh gasoline too.

The $20,000 question is why are some people's pushrods mushrooming?
And here's the $20,000 answer:

I took the bad pushrod with me to BTB Products, along with a good pushrod, when I went down to pick up a good used replacement. When I showed the guy at the counter he suggested I look under the valve cover for the missing cup from the top of the pushrod before putting everything back together. I didn't even realize that the pushrod is actually an assembly, the cup is a separate piece that looks to be resistance welded to the top of the pushrod. Sure enough, when I got home I took a look and found the missing cup laying on top of the cylinder head right next to cylinder #4. I cleaned things up and put everything back together. When cranking the engine over I noticed oil flowing as expected to the top end of the engine and the mechanical oil pressure gauge was reading north of 55 psi, so everything looks good. I think that was the extent of the knocking issue.

time for me to go inspect the push rods...

So the end of the pushrod cup can break off due to age. Great. Just great. Guess we now need to have two extra pushrods stashed in the truck as trail spares. Fabulous.

Sealed power (USA made I think) offers chromoly replacements that I like. RP3270

thumbnail.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom