100 vs 200 headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, Looking to upgrade from an '02 LC to an '07 to '09 LC or LX. One of my must haves is better headlights. I drive a two lane hwy in Colorado a lot in the dark and need better headlights as my eyes age. My 2002 is stock with Better bulbs but it's not really good enough. I see where the LX appears to have different headlights than the LC (newer designs implemented earlier in the model years on LX). Having said all that are the '07's (100 series) pretty good and are the '08-'09s that much better? Looking to find a sub 90-100k mile vehicle under $30k is my plan.

I know I could do a retrofit, but I prefer to stay with stock unless it's a plug and play setup that works as good as a stock setup (not blinding to oncoming traffic, doesn't wash out in bad weather, etc). I don't mind paying for a good plug and play if it is designed well and works well.

Thanks

Don't want to derail your plans, but you're likely not going to find a *clean* 200 with less than 90k miles for less than $30k. That's what everyone else wants and comes on here to say that's what they're looking for, but unless you buy an east coast truck or one with issues that price point isn't really realistic. Also keep in mind the 200 started in 08, 07 is still a 100. The LX570 has projector beam headlights which could be marginally better than the LC, but neither got HID/xenon bulbs until 2013. I would imagine you could do an HID projector swap on the LX a little easier, but to do it the right way you'd watch to do surgery to replace the projectors on either one.

EDIT: this is about the best deal you'll find locally. If it's a clean truck, it's a very good price especially for Colorado. Used 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMHY05J194002617

Last edited:
Don't want to derail your plans, but you're likely not going to find a *clean* 200 with less than 90k miles for less than $30k. That's what everyone else wants and comes on here to say that's what they're looking for, but unless you buy an east coast truck or one with issues that price point isn't really realistic. Also keep in mind the 200 started in 08, 07 is still a 100. The LX570 has projector beam headlights which could be marginally better than the LC, but neither got HID/xenon bulbs until 2013. I would imagine you could do an HID projector swap on the LX a little easier, but to do it the right way you'd watch to do surgery to replace the projectors on either one.

EDIT: this is about the best deal you'll find locally. If it's a clean truck, it's a very good price especially for Colorado. Used 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMHY05J194002617

Thanks mcgaskins for the info, you aren't derailing my plans and I see a lot of folks asking for the same thing as I am.

Yes I know I'm looking at both 100 and 200's (hence the thread title) and that a 200 under 100k miles and $30k would be hard to find and any 100 under 100k miles is hard to find period although there are some out there. I've seen some 200's advertised but have not looked at them so yes agree they could be undesirable condition wise. Main thing I wanted to know was from folks that had 100's and now may have a 200 and if they could tell that much difference in the stock headlights between the model years (generally newer is always better I know). Also if anyone can tell me what the differences are in the model years. The Slee guide and the current 200 series thread on model year differences (Main model year changes 2008-2014 200 series and lx) does not really go into detail on headlights. I have noticed just looking at photos that the '08 LX 200 series headlights look different than the LC's do - just as the 100 series are as well. So are the LX generally better (did the upgrade headlights in LX a year or more before they offered in LC)? And are the 1st gen 200 series that much better than the last gen 100 series? I see a lot of threads regarding upgrades ranging from bulb replacement to modifying housings, wiring, etc. I probably have the skills to do all that but prefer not to unless I know for sure my headlights will work as well as a factory setup WRT not blinding oncoming traffic, working well in bad weather, etc. As far as engine tranny I know the 200 are superior but I wouldn't tow more than 2-3000 lbs a few times per year and I do prefer the looks of the 100 over the early 200.

The early LX570 projectors with the halogens are marginally better than the LX470 or the 100 series LC(had them both) but were still not what I would call very bright. However the 570 projector can handle a HID kit just fine. I have them in mine and cutoff is good and does not blind oncoming traffic. The light output feels about 100 times better than the halogens.

I would be check under that 09 for rust as it spent most of its life in IA.

Thanks Ali, Yep also FYI I noticed a quick way to check for 200 series rust is to lift the little plastic gap cover on the tailgate when it's down and if the brackets holding the wires/line running across the vehicle (not sure what they are for) are rusty then it's likely rusty underneath as well. I did this on two 200 series side by side at a Carmax lot in Denver the other day and the one with the clean undercarriage had nice brackets and on the one with rust these brackets were very rusty.

My '08 with IPF headlight bulbs is about 100x better than both my 99 and 06 100 with Sylvania superstar or whatever a similar "upgrade" bulb would be available at Autozone.

My '08 with IPF headlight bulbs is about 100x better than both my 99 and 06 100 with Sylvania superstar or whatever a similar "upgrade" bulb would be available at Autozone.
Thanks! are those the LED bulbs I read about somewhere?

Yes there is another thread going round with details and others impressions of the IPF bulbs. They are expensive but good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom