BudBuilt 200 Series Skid Plates, Sliders, High Clearance Rear Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[QUOTE="Taco2Cruiser, post: 11210043, member: 118335"

Did you want an update on a particular set of skids you are having made? I could probably find out.[/QUOTE]

Since you offered? Thx

View attachment 1536865
Here are what the control arm skid and shock skids look like. The shock skids are "unicorns" right now so a jig is being behold around them to duplicate angles.

Funny story about the shock skids, @Markuson tested them out, and originally they were never designed to work with the plastic stone guard on BP-51s. But when Mark sent a picture of an impact the shock guard took, we saw that the he left the plastic guard on and Bud thought, "you know, that's not a bad idea." So now you get serious impact protection, plus full pebble thrown protection from the plastic guards.

I had the "shin guard" design Icon shock skids, for my Icons, and they still allowed my shock shaft to get peppered enough to require a shaft replacement.

Did you want an update on a particular set of skids you are having made? I could probably find out.

Custom Buy Opportunity
Also, a guy put in a custom order for sliders to not have the outer tube put on, and have the main tube set out just under the rocker panel (which sets the legs 1" longer). So it makes a rocker protection rail like on a Jeep Wrangler. Since Bud doesn't take money till the product is ready to go out the door, when he called the customer to tell him the rocker rails were ready to ship or go to powder, the guy said he sold his 200... and Bud hasn't gotten any payment and doesn't look like he will. If anyone is interested, they are cheaper than normal sliders as less material and work was done, and wants rocker protection without anything sticking out beyond the door.

Hi Rob, thanks, I was in for a stage 3 in stainless. Would be great to get an updated schedule.

I just got an update from Jackie, it sounds like my stainless set is completed and awaiting shipment in the next week. I couldn't check on the other orders for the So. Cal. parties as I don't have the names the orders are placed under. Shipping to my residential address is about $220, and I don't have a good idea of the savings if we bundled the orders together. @RET2, @Obi Wong Kenobi, @FALKOR8, @tplane2 might want to check with Budbuilt if you're still interested?

You my friend are a lucky man, I cant even get her to return my calls or emails. Wonder if she even exists? Bud has called me twice though and Rob has been the glue that held it together. As previously stated I prefer to ship mine direct to save $, time and traffic aggravation. Sounds like there maybe some happy SoCal guys shortly!!

You my friend are a lucky man, I cant even get her to return my calls or emails. Wonder if she even exists? Bud has called me twice though and Rob has been the glue that held it together. As previously stated I prefer to ship mine direct to save $, time and traffic aggravation. Sounds like there maybe some happy SoCal guys shortly!!
Thanks @RET2, unless other sets in So. Cal. are ready to ship or have definitive shipping dates, I'm inclined to pay the full freight to have this item shipped out next week as I've received an invoice from BudBuilt. Good luck in getting your skids built/shipped.

Thanks @RET2, unless other sets in So. Cal. are ready to ship or have definitive shipping dates, I'm inclined to pay the full freight to have this item shipped out next week as I've received an invoice from BudBuilt. Good luck in getting your skids built/shipped.
Thanks, looks like you are closer to getting your's than I am. keep all of us in the loop.

I just got an update from Jackie, it sounds like my stainless set is completed and awaiting shipment in the next week. I couldn't check on the other orders for the So. Cal. parties as I don't have the names the orders are placed under. Shipping to my residential address is about $220, and I don't have a good idea of the savings if we bundled the orders together. @RET2, @Obi Wong Kenobi, @FALKOR8, @tplane2 might want to check with Budbuilt if you're still interested?

Yeah, I got my invoice and a call from Bud the other day regarding my set being ready soon as well. So maybe we can combine the shipping if the savings for you are there? I’m going to call in a little bit to see if I can get some answers.

Talked to Bud today and tried to convince him to move out west to find more competent workers. :D Man, he’s just running into a lot of flaky employees as of late.

Anyway, my sliders should be ready soon and our skids should be done around the same time @uclafan if you’d like to split some shipping costs. I can ask my friend if I can ship to his business in Orange, but he’s probably not going to want to unload our crap the day it arrives! Let me know if you’re interested. :clap:

Talked to Bud today and tried to convince him to move out west to find more competent workers. :D Man, he’s just running into a lot of flaky employees as of late.

Anyway, my sliders should be ready soon and our skids should be done around the same time @uclafan if you’d like to split some shipping costs. I can ask my friend if I can ship to his business in Orange, but he’s probably not going to want to unload our crap the day it arrives! Let me know if you’re interested. :clap:
Sounds good, any idea of the potential savings? I think that my shipping quote was just north of $200. Will PM you with info to see if we can talk through the details.

What's the prices and group buy information? I scrolled through the first 3 pages and saw none....

What's the prices and group buy information? I scrolled through the first 3 pages and saw none....
There isn’t a group buy price, not really sure why this thead was moved to group buy as there isn’t one. The thread was started really to just give mud members a early look at 200 series armor, but the profit margins are already as low as they can be. I hope that makes sense.

The prices are at Budbuilt.com

Bump! This thread has not been updated in a long time. Any feedback/reviews from users?

I planning on a set of skids and leaning towards aluminum, but wondering if I should get some in steel? Maybe front, or maybe tranny/case. I am not planning on hard wheeling, so weight is a factor.

I went with the aluminum Stage 4 with stainless hardware. Not sure if I would do Stainless hardware because I looked like I was in a Minstrel Show after applying Never Seize to prevent galling. Banged them a few times with no real damage. IMHO the way to go if you wallet can carry the weight your undercarriage doesn't have to.

One more question - I understand the factory center support that's between two halves of the factory front skids is removed. It also provides center jacking point (very convenient).

With Budbuilt skids, it looks to me one could still jack at the center of the crossmember where the front and engine skids meet, right?

One more question - I understand the factory center support that's between two halves of the factory front skids is removed. It also provides center jacking point (very convenient).

With Budbuilt skids, it looks to me one could still jack at the center of the crossmember where the front and engine skids meet, right?
So this will be two part answer.

The center of the factory skids that you are referring to, is not a jack point. Strength of the metal aside, it’s very unsafe to do a single point lift in the center of the vehicle. You open yourself up to not being perfectly balanced, and having the vehicle shift and fall of the jack. The only approved jack points in the front of the vehicle are on the frame rails. The can be reviewed in the factory service manual.

Now for the BudBuilt skids, strength wise, oh yea you can jack from them. They attach to more places, and as such, distribute the load across a greater surface area. Which is good for when you are doing stuff much hard than jacking, like slamming rocks in low range with the torque of a 5.7L.

But... refer to statement 1. Don’t jack from the front skid plates.

So this will be two part answer.

The center of the factory skids that you are referring to, is not a jack point. Strength of the metal aside, it’s very unsafe to do a single point lift in the center of the vehicle. You open yourself up to not being perfectly balanced, and having the vehicle shift and fall of the jack. The only approved jack points in the front of the vehicle are on the frame rails. The can be reviewed in the factory service manual.

Now for the BudBuilt skids, strength wise, oh yea you can jack from them. They attach to more places, and as such, distribute the load across a greater surface area. Which is good for when you are doing stuff much hard than jacking, like slamming rocks in low range with the torque of a 5.7L.

But... refer to statement 1. Don’t jack from the front skid plates.

Taco2Cruiser - respectfully, that's incorrect :) I checked 200-series FSM and it clearly depicts the center point as a jack point. Owner manual does not, but FSM > owner's manual.

With a proper jack and care there are no issues jacking the vehicle up front at the center. LC 200 is not unique in that regard. Tacoma, for example, also has a similar jack point.

Last edited:
I checked 200-series FSM and it clearly depicts the center point as a jack point.

Can you post a photo of where exactly this jack point is? I've always wondered if there was a safe lifting spot in the front somewhere, that would allow me to lift both front wheels off the ground at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom