What's that sound: Hub bearings or Birfeild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SmokingRocks

hopelessly addicted to Cruisers
Threads
I'm working on getting a video up in a bit.

So last night I reset my toe because I bannana'd my tie rod on a rock last month. Shockingly I discovered that the tires were toed out .5". So I dialed it back so they are toes in, final measurement was .09" total toe in which is smack in the middle of the spec.

Anyway this morning I noticed a rotational knock with its frequency tied to the speed of the tire rotation (one rotation of the tire = 1 knock). The sound is coming from my front right hub (which has been on the list for servicing).

Its much more noticeable on acceleration. I'm wondering if it's the hub bearings or birfeild though since the birds are original... any guesses before I open her up?

I assume that there was no "knock" prior to the toe-in adjustment. That alone leads me to believe it's a steering geometry related problem. I also assume that you're driving straight and not turning when this "knock" occurs. If so, it really can't be the CV; it's unloaded when the two shafts (inner and outer) are concentric. The hub bearing would whine if it was failing; unless you've lost a roller, in which case the indication would probably be a scraping noise.

I'd get the frame off the ground and look at the back of the wheel while turning it by hand.

If there was a "knock" prior to the toe-in adjustment, who knows? Not enough information about the pre-existing conditions. If you are hearing the "knock" while turning, it's more than likely the Birfield joint.

I think I noticed the knock a couple time prior to the toe adjustment but it wasn't as pronounced. Now it is. Adjusting the toe as drastically as I had to, in my mind, alters the force vectors applied to the hub bearings. So I was leaning that way.

Now, when turning I hear all sorts of pops and clacks but those seem to germinate from my custom 3 link heims and the steering damper bracket.

I'm afraid of what I might find when I open it up this weekend. :flush:

Last edited:
One of your avm hubs fail again?

Is a wheel weight hitting something now since there is more inward force on the wheel?

ya know you ditch us in Colorado for Montana and now you're all full of big sky and bull****.:flipoff2:

And nope tires / rims are clear of obstructions

Dust shield?

Well, maybe that's not it then. Gremlins?

Could be... I know there's a little Japanese gnome in the transmission that sledgehammers it into 2nd gear in low range from time to time.... could be some of his friends popping off in the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom