Question about 1971 fj40 steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1971 fj40 soft top, had it for only a few months now.

I want to I put an original steering wheel on it. The person before me has put a sports steering wheel on which looks absolutely ridiculous. I have the wheel.

dscf9578-jpg.411600

(Not mine, just showing you which wheel I have.)

But my FJ has the ignition switch mounted on the column in a plastic casing. (like the newer FJs) Is that a whole different column? Can I put it back to having the plane steering column, and having the ignition in the dash? What would be involved?

Is the older type wheel compatible with this shaft? (The wheel I ordered is dated 69-72, but as I said the column is different so I don't know)

Here's a pic of what mine column looks like with the casing taken off.
6HugpCL.jpg

Here is the look I'm going for (except mine is Right-hand drive)
151339_Interior_Web.jpg

Thanks

Depends a LOT on what's under the hood. What does your steering box look like?

I can help mate. Your steering system is stock 40 series Landcruiser - it just depends on the build month if it's stock to that truck or a later addition. 08/1971 was the changeover month for a lot of minor details, one of which was the ignition key in the column and the separate column and steering box. Traditionally the key was in the dash and the column and box were one unit. For s***s and giggles I'd find out the build month - it will also help when ordering parts. But to answer your question - the only way to run the earlier wheel is:

a] change the column and box to the earlier one piece type;
b] see if your wheel fits your current column.

A is safer as the later column is collapsible but B will probably work better as I'm not sure the horn will work.

I am a fan of, and run, the earlier wheel. Worth fighting for!!

What's the donk and where are you?

Thanks mate, that's all the information I needed. I'll just have to see if she fits and if not, later down the track I'll get the suitable wheel. I don't mind the newer wheels, although I prefer the older ones, anything is better than the wheel that's on there at the moment.

I'm not sure what you mean by the donk, sorry. I'm in Australia.

Cheers.

Thanks mate, that's all the information I needed. I'll just have to see if she fits and if not, later down the track I'll get the suitable wheel. I don't mind the newer wheels, although I prefer the older ones, anything is better than the wheel that's on there at the moment.

I'm not sure what you mean by the donk, sorry. I'm in Australia.

Cheers.
Haha donk is Aussie slang for engine ;)

I can help mate. Your steering system is stock 40 series Landcruiser - it just depends on the build month if it's stock to that truck or a later addition. 08/1971 was the changeover month for a lot of minor details, one of which was the ignition key in the column and the separate column and steering box. Traditionally the key was in the dash and the column and box were one unit. For s***s and giggles I'd find out the build month - it will also help when ordering parts. But to answer your question - the only way to run the earlier wheel is:

a] change the column and box to the earlier one piece type;
b] see if your wheel fits your current column.

A is safer as the later column is collapsible but B will probably work better as I'm not sure the horn will work.

I am a fan of, and run, the earlier wheel. Worth fighting for!!

What's the donk and where are you?
Sorry to jump in here, years late.
I have a 7/71 that has what looks to be a ‘73 type steering wheel on it.
I guess that explains why the horn don’t work.
my question is,
does a ‘73 style wheel fit an early ‘71 column (which I’m sure it is as the turn signal switch and all are ‘71 style) or am I in some PO mod shop nonsense?

my question is,
does a ‘73 style wheel fit an early ‘71 column (which I’m sure it is as the turn signal switch and all are ‘71 style) or am I in some PO mod shop nonsense?
The spline count is the same.

my question is,
This is my situation exactly. A 71 fj40 with a 1974 steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom