'74-75 FJ40 Winch options Question - discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The more I looking into PTO options the less this might be the way for me. While I have to say it's super sexy to have the extra handle and the power taken from the transfer case. The down side to this as I'm sure everyone else already knew is that it's only as functional as the mechanical ability to operate. I was driving up a hill and noticed the engine was sputtering from lack of gas. Which was funny because it had a good half tank. This got me thinking that the PTO has some limitations. In additional to this the cost of a PTO system now is close to $1800 which might be more collector/ bragging rights then functional investment?
So along comes the Bellevue / Warn 5687 electric 6000/8000 - Cable control. I'm leaning toward this option now however it lacks power out and the alternator/single battery may not be enough to make it a reliable.. I guess practical is a better word option. Were these the only two (true) FJ40 winch options or were some other models available as well for late 74-75.
The limitations to both of these Winches is that you are operating them strictly from inside the cab.

Now the fun part...

What modifications are available to make the Warn/Bellevue 5687 power in / power out as well as wiring up some form of solenoid to allow remote operation external of the cab? while maintaining the cosmetic look of the cable control. (I'm thinking of hiding the Remote port and remote in the glove box). I'm guessing this would only work for a later model winch, since cable activated and voltage regulated (without servo automation) is like oil and water.

what are your thoughts? Ideas? suggestions? success / fails.. ?

Do yo have a photo you can post of your OEM PTO winch?

You can't go wrong with a Warn 8274. It can be wired to have in and out buttons in the cab, if that's what you want. You can also just plug in the remote.

I don't have a PTO Winch, in fact the FJ has no winch as it sits. I was going to buy a PTO from jump but after researching it more they seem less appealing than originally thought. I'm now entertaining an electronic winch but I question the Amperage draw as a potential weak point. However, with a gross vehicle weight of only 4620 lbs a 6000/8000lbs winch would be fine.

You can't go wrong with a Warn 8274. It can be wired to have in and out buttons in the cab or you can plug-in the remote.

The 8274 wasn't available until '78 or 80 correct? It does sound appealing though.

There's a reason you dont see many bellevue's around. Most folks probably upgraded when the 8274 came out.

Personally I don't like the idea of in-cab only controls. I would think it would be hard to see what's going on in tricky situations that way, and if you're in something really hairy you may not want to even be in the truck while winching.

I've seen a few Bellevue's pop up on Seattle Craigslist in the $150-200 range and the cable controls do have a cool factor - but in my opinion the 8274 looks great (in fact perfect) on a 40 and still gives you the modern functionality lacking in the Bellevues. Parts availability may be an issue with them too, while the 8274 is still being made.

I wouldn't sweat the 2nd battery part either, my '62 has run the same single battery and a 9,500 lb winch for a few years and it's worked fine (plus it's a pig compared to a '40) Granted I haven't done multiple consecutive 100 foot pulls through a mud bog, but I don't ever plan to.

I've seen a few Bellevue's pop up on Seattle Craigslist in the $150-200 range and the cable controls do have a cool factor - but in my opinion the 8274 looks great (in fact perfect) on a 40 and still gives you the modern functionality lacking in the Bellevues.
We share that opinion :).

IMG_0086.JPG

Warn 8274 over a PTO winch any day. If you do get an 8274 you can upgrade the motor to a new more powerful one from Warn, which is what I would do if you find on old 8274.

Or a Come up (which I would rate over a Warn and will probably be my next purchase) I personally don't think that a modern winch is sacrilege to a classic vehicle. It is a piece of my emergency safety equipment, and I don't want to carry around a 50 (or older) year old bandaid to match my truck, nor do I rate aesthetics over a piece of safety equipment impair by ability to help myself or others in an emergency. This is a shot of a trip I led some friends on. It was supposed to be an easy trail, until he rolled and smashed his wife's hand when she instinctively pushed her hand out the rolled down window. To each his own, I'll get off my rant now.
IMG_3453.JPG

I also like the looks of the Bellevue winch (especially with a polished housing), but for actual winching I couldn't get over the safety risks. Plus most of the ones I've seen for sale were missing the cable controls.

Warn 8274 would be period correct if you found the right date code. They also made another version, the 8074, without the freespool knob, in 74/75, but I believe they were originally meant for Jeeps.

I have one on my 40 and run them off the stock alternator with a single battery without any problems, but I don't use it very often. As long as you're not doing really long, heavy pulls it should be fine.

It doesn't matter what year the 8274 came out. Worrying about what year an aftermarket product came out is a waste of time. The PTO was the only factory option for winches. The 8274 is the perfect winch for a 40.

It you check how winches are rated you will see that is for the first wrap on the drum. It goes down from there. So a 8,000# is only 8,000# with most the cable out. Something to keep in mind.

Curious why you don't address your sputtering on hills. Even with a winch I would want to fix this instead of have to winch up hills because the engine died. OEM carburators when operating correctly climb hills just fine. While a PTO your dead in the water without the engine running, a electric your limited solely to the battery. Up a steep grade requires more juice than flat land. Probably fine in a emergency but wouldn't want to count on it as a standard practice to climb hills.

I've been shopping (sort of) for an 8274 and seem to find three types on CL:

1. Crusty old ones in need of rehab. $200+
2. Already rehabbed old ones. $700+
3. Newer ones not in need of rehab. $1000++

How cheap does an old one have to be to consider picking it up to rehab it on your own? I guess I'm really asking how much $$ it takes to really go through one and make it right.

I've been shopping (sort of) for an 8274 and seem to find three types on CL:

1. Crusty old ones in need of rehab. $200+
2. Already rehabbed old ones. $700+
3. Newer ones not in need of rehab. $1000++

How cheap does an old one have to be to consider picking it up to rehab it on your own? I guess I'm really asking how much $$ it takes to really go through one and make it right.

I looked around a while but found mine on CL for $450. It was powder coated and came complete disassembled. I have another $50 in solenoids and 0/1 wire.

besides being a great winch, the 8274 just looks right on a 40(or 45) My 82 fj40 has one(8274-50) as well as my 67 fj45(8274 was originally on my 82 when new, moved it to the 45)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom