LN106 Charging problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guu

Threads
i picked up a 1990 ln106r with the 3l 2.8 Diesel engine and I've been working my way through sorting out some issues. Anyway I'm stumped on it not charging. I've replaced the alternator, the external regulator and the battery and still the thing won't charge. Dashboard all lit up too. I popped the cap off the external regulator and if I move the metal contact it charges fine and all the dash lights go out.

Checked the fuese they are fine. Battery terminals are tight. There is one earth right by the battery negative which grounds on the inner wing that is tight.

Can anyone help me with some suggestions?

In the instances of no or low voltage output I only ever had the charge light came on.

When I had low level charging I replaced everything possible. From what I could gather it was only the brushes that were the cause.

For the Voltage Regulator, I only got two years out of an OEM. I replaced it with a cheap chinese jobbie and that has lasted.

Have you removed all of the fusible links, verified continuity with a Multimeter, and cleaned the contacts of corrosion?

I have the exact same problem in mine and also replaced the same things. It must be a common issue. I don't know what to do at this point besides replacing all the wiring or maybe going to an internally regulated alternator.

Got it fixed. My problem was that new alternator was internally regulated. So at the external regulator plug I used an old regulator plug and joined the 6 wires together to make 3 pairs. One for charge light, one for ignition and one for battery. It now works.

Got it fixed. My problem was that new alternator was internally regulated. So at the external regulator plug I used an old regulator plug and joined the 6 wires together to make 3 pairs. One for charge light, one for ignition and one for battery. It now works.
I love it when people pinch a pair of brain cells together and figure things out. Nice job.

Any chance you've got what you did to remedy the concern? I have a 90 hilux galaxy with the same issue I need to get remedied. I've got it working but it causes draw.

Externally regulated? One way diode will fix the draw. Check where the draw is. Mine was back into the alternator. I would just upgrade to the internally regulated one. More efficient and more amps.

Externally regulated? One way diode will fix the draw. Check where the draw is. Mine was back into the alternator. I would just upgrade to the internally regulated one. More efficient and more amps.
Mine is internally regulated, by-passed it t the connector for what was once the external regulator. Has a draw enough to kill both batteries over 2 days, 3-4 for stone dead. Not familiar with dual batteries enough to know how to properly draw test the system for accurate numbers. Alternator stays about 70 degrees over night even on a cold day.

I have been doing a draw test as per a test I found on some diesel forum. I did a standard parasitic draw test with a meter via a negative terminal. I did it on both batteries independently with the other unhooked. With fresh batteries and Terminals I get 60mA for a draw regardless of what battery I did the testing on. If batteries are connected it says zero. Confused? Uncertain if I amdoing this properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom