Should I buy an 80, costs of ownership? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And don' forget about @LS1FJ40 . He reminds us frequently how mighty the 3FE is in his 92 that be bought about the time he put away the horse and buggy, just after the cave men stopped carving in the rocks.

And it does it for less total cost per year, every year.

Just poking the bear.........

An interesting footnote.

4 of the 5 original-owner 1FZ trucks just mentioned are supercharged. :hmm:

OH FINE! Just leave me out. :flipoff2: I happen to like my normally aspirated little engine! :moon:

An interesting footnote.

4 of the 5 original-owner 1FZ trucks just mentioned are supercharged. :hmm:

Lack of power is the only thing that would drive me to get rid of mine. I need to figure out a Turbo, source a SC, or swap in a LS soon. The fact most of you original owners have Superchargers is only logical IMHO.

Lack of power is the only thing that would drive me to get rid of mine. I need to figure out a Turbo, source a SC, or swap in a LS soon. The fact most of you original owners have Superchargers is only logical IMHO.

Corbet I can honestly say my truck is so more driveable with the SC. I could never go back. I am super glad I decided to go SC as the truck becomes so more driveable especially weighted down. It's not fast but the most noticeable change is the torque.

+1 on this ^

1FZ here. My old man bought it in 1998 from the dealer. Just hitting 257,000 miles. I bought it from my parents instead of letting them trade it away. I drove a shiny 5 series BMW also up until 1.5 years ago and I don't regret getting rid of it. The upkeep costs on my cruiser pale in comparison to the costs of replacing turbos, valve and head gaskets and cooling lines (at 85,000 miles no less).
This is also my first post on mud after YEARS of lurking

N63 V8 BMW owner here (soon to be former owner) - lemme tell ya, maintenance on my '93 FZJ80 pales in comparison to the X5... I have spent a fair amount of $$$ and time getting the LC up to snuff, but it is a >200k vehicle! The cost is pennies compared to BMW, and don't even get me started on how much time that N63 motor spent in the shop...

I've been mostly putting OEM Toyota parts in, and they are very reasonably priced. I have put in a few non-OEM parts in as well. My general feeling is that I want OEM or better where it matters (motor, running gear) and can put in the cheap stuff where it doesn't (window switches, hood/tailgate struts, etc) - but in general, parts availability and price are great, especially when DIY is so accessible and well supported by this forum.

I would just hope that anyone on this forum who 'adopts' a Land Cruiser maintains her - they sure seem to be worth it, and while they seemingly will absorb quite a lot of abuse, I would rather that capacity for abuse be applied to reliability and longevity than frugality (because let's face it - these pigs are gas whores, though my X5 50i is just as much of a gas whore, but also requires Super and a quart of 0w40 castrol full synthetic every couple tanks of fuel!)

I'm new to the land cruiser game, having found an unlocked 96 lx450 with 110k miles in 2016...what happens when toyota runs out of more replacement parts? I have been having kind of a hard time getting the parts that are most often need replacing: sunvisors, drivers seat covers and foam, charcoal canister, locking axles, not to mention jdm parts, as well as many others... I have resorted to trying to find oem parts in junkyards and buying anything I can get my hands on and holding on to them for when I'll inevitably need them.

I have always wanted an 80 and I realistically hope to keep mine until I pass it on to my future children. So, what do people do who restore and keep classic cars on the road for parts? For example how do people restore and fix Duesenbergs or Packards? I'm just wondering...

How do the 40's guys keep theirs on the road?

Also, I feel I'm pretty lucky that this being the most organized and comprehensive automotive forum on the internet also happens to be for the truck that I chose to buy.

I'm new to the land cruiser game, having found an unlocked 96 lx450 with 110k miles in 2016...what happens when toyota runs out of more replacement parts? I have been having kind of a hard time getting the parts that are most often need replacing: sunvisors, drivers seat covers and foam, charcoal canister, locking axles, not to mention jdm parts, as well as many others... I have resorted to trying to find oem parts in junkyards and buying anything I can get my hands on and holding on to them for when I'll inevitably need them.

I have always wanted an 80 and I realistically hope to keep mine until I pass it on to my future children. So, what do people do who restore and keep classic cars on the road for parts? For example how do people restore and fix Duesenbergs or Packards? I'm just wondering...

How do the 40's guys keep theirs on the road?

Also, I feel I'm pretty lucky that this being the most organized and comprehensive automotive forum on the internet also happens to be for the truck that I chose to buy.
I think we all worry about parts availability since most of us have trucks that will likely outlast Toyota's commitment to serve our parts needs, at least for some items. However, we are already seeing a good number of quality aftermarket options for things like re-manufactured brake parts, glass, power steering components, etc so I think that will continue as long as there is a market for them. The thing that I worry about is that there were only around 80,000 80 Series sold in the US for their entire run and a good percentage of those have already bit the dust. I would be curious to know just how many are left on the road in the US at this point and how that would play into an aftermarket companies decision to serve the model.

I will say though that I am taking the long view with my truck. I live in the rust belt and I drive the truck in the winter so if I see something that looks iffy from a rust standpoint, I am buying its replacement now on the used parts market, whether I install it right away or not. I also keep all of the parts that still have life left in them when I replace them just in case I might need it in the future. I kept my old alternator and my master cylinder and water pump because those parts were working just fine, I just wanted to replace them because I was already in there. I have those for the future if the need arises.

I have considered buying a parts rig and pulling everything off, labeling it and storing it but my OCD hasn't gotten bad enough for me to pull the trigger on that idea, yet.:p

Most of the 80 series parts are still available, the discontinued parts are mostly cosmetic parts. But I will advise to start collecting oem parts if you plan to keep it for a long time. Not trying to scare you but parts are depleting as days go by.

Most of the 80 series parts are still available, the discontinued parts are mostly cosmetic parts. But I will advise to start collecting oem parts if you plan to keep it for a long time. Not trying to scare you but parts are depleting as days go by.
It is true that they are discontinuing parts, but there is at least some hope if you use their website as a gauge. I know they are not offering everything for the 40 series, but the fact that they still have options going back as far as 1982 does give me some relief. It's also a matter of demand, which Onur has explained. Some parts that don't get a lot of traffic are going away, but for stuff they can sell in good enough numbers to justify, they are still available. Bottom line, if we all buy a lot of parts, we might extend the time that Toyota decides to keep having them made.:)

Toyota Land Cruiser Parts & Accessories | Toyota Parts Online

It is true that they are discontinuing parts, but there is at least some hope if you use their website as a gauge. I know they are not offering everything for the 40 series, but the fact that they still have options going back as far as 1982 does give me some relief. It's also a matter of demand, which Onur has explained. Some parts that don't get a lot of traffic are going away, but for stuff they can sell in good enough numbers to justify, they are still available. Bottom line, if we all buy a lot of parts, we might extend the time that Toyota decides to keep having them made.:)

Toyota Land Cruiser Parts & Accessories | Toyota Parts Online

Is all about demand and supply, people are worrying about parts going away yet not willing to spend the money for oem parts.... not saying all but quite a bit....i actually find the aftermarket part is a lot more profitable and higher demand than oem parts as a vendor stand point. But oem parts is a lot higher quality than aftermarket parts, you can debate all you want but that is the fact. Rock auto Aisin water pump is not the exact same quality as Toyota box Aisin water pump for an example. But sadly 99% of the crowd assume it is the same and never question why it is so much cheaper?:cool:

Is all about demand and supply, people are worrying about parts going away yet not willing to spend the money for oem parts.... not saying all but quite a bit....i actually find the aftermarket part is a lot more profitable and higher demand than oem parts as a vendor stand point. But oem parts is a lot higher quality than aftermarket parts, you can debate all you want but that is the fact. Rock auto Aisin water pump is not the exact same quality as Toyota box Aisin water pump for an example. But sadly 99% of the crowd assume it is the same and never question why it is so much cheaper?:cool:
I don't deny that Toyota has the best parts and the best suppliers, but for some things, they are just not competitive and for a lot of people the prices are high enough that it kills the truck. Imagine needing and new brake booster and two new cats for your '94. If you went OEM, you would be into it for $2200 vs, two nice, stainless cats and a re-pop booster for $450 total. I could blow 5 sets of those out and still not reach what it would have cost for OEM parts. That is fine, it's the little stuff, especially electrical parts that I worry about. Motor stuff for the 1FZ-FE will be around for a while.

I don't deny that Toyota has the best parts and the best suppliers, but for some things, they are just not competitive and for a lot of people the prices are high enough that it kills the truck. Imagine needing and new brake booster and two new cats for your '94. If you went OEM, you would be into it for $2200 vs, two nice, stainless cats and a re-pop booster for $450 total. I could blow 5 sets of those out and still not reach what it would have cost for OEM parts. That is fine, it's the little stuff, especially electrical parts that I worry about. Motor stuff for the 1FZ-FE will be around for a while.

I think you do not get the point here, that is why Toyota is doing what it is doing. Toyota doesn't make Landcruiser for the mass market to begin with, its price point is 4-5 times what Camry runs. Toyota is not in the business to be competitive in providing parts while others trying to be competitive copy its engineering to provide sub quality parts. Toyota care or less , enough say, buy what you are happy with =)

Last edited:
Read this thread from start to finish. Reviving the thread. Just bought a 1997 40th, factory double locked, after market center locked w/152K miles. Extremely low considering it’s now 21 years old. Leather seats up front are a little rough but Cruiser Heaven seems to have a fix. Drove back to Tahoe area from San Diego with no issues. Making a list of baseline maintenance I’d like to do. My previous 91 FJ80 came with amazing records. This one nil.

Every Land Cruiser I’ve ever had to sell due to military transfers / orders / divorce have hurt my soul. I grew up riding around in my father’s 68 FJ40 and it’s been a life long love ever since. Hard to explain unless you’ve lived it... but if you buy one, you’ll know. This new FZJ80 will be keeping my 78 FJ40 company for years to come. Cost of ownership on my previous FJ40’s (71 & 72) differed greatly as the 71 was someone else’s Frankenstein, the 72 completely stock as is my 78 (besides OME & wheels). I’m not the most knowledgeable or experienced wrench turner, but the manual combined with this forum and YouTube has helped quite a bit keeping costs down maintaining my 91 FJ80. While my friends were trading out 2 y/o vehicles for new ones and ribbing me for driving these “antiques”, I spent way less year over year than they did keeping the beasts running. MPG (or yards per gallon) were another story depending upon the year, but overall, now that I’m retired from the military and am no longer subject to frequent upheaveals, and have grown roots back home, these two Land Cruisers will be in my life as long as I live. Much thanks and respect for those with similar passions that help me keep mine running tip top. I look forward to the new build and mods & inspiration with this 97!

5F213D73-1265-4B79-A29B-0FDA61F5DD54.jpeg

76251202-147B-4C74-99AA-7E1E0D6958F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking rigs!
@Red Merle thanks brother! We are enjoying using them out in the great Nevada BLM. The only mods I want to make to the FJ40 are vintage air and lift the drivers seat up 3/4” and bolt back as far as I can get it...! I’m 6’3”. The FZJ80 will have lots of mods to come. I’ll start a thread once I begin.

Just imported a beautiful 96 HDJ81V. Already ordered new ventilation hose from Japan and missing air filter. She runs great though, interior is clean. Folding side mirrors are sticky. Shes getting an insulated winter front next week and eventually a high temp thermostat. Canadian winters are brutal.
Next plan is custom rocksliders.

12_l3.jpg

Just imported a beautiful 96 HDJ81V. Already ordered new ventilation hose from Japan and missing air filter. She runs great though, interior is clean. Folding side mirrors are sticky. Shes getting an insulated winter front next week and eventually a high temp thermostat. Canadian winters are brutal.
Next plan is custom rocksliders.

View attachment 1905476

Wish I had that spare tire mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom