How much would you pay to replace cooling system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the radiator, upper/lower radiator hoses, thermostat, cap, water pump, timing belt, pulleys, and drive belt. The OEM parts costs me $550 on a combination of Amazon and Lexus dealer.

How much would you pay an independent mechanic to do this work on a 2003 GX470?

Thanks for any feedback. I won't be doing this myself.

Everything but the TB/WP can be done in your garage/driveway with normal tools. That should save you a bit of cash.

I need to replace the radiator, upper/lower radiator hoses, thermostat, cap, water pump, timing belt, pulleys, and drive belt. The OEM parts costs me $550 on a combination of Amazon and Lexus dealer.

How much would you pay an independent mechanic to do this work on a 2003 GX470?

Thanks for any feedback. I won't be doing this myself.

Shop rate being on average about 100/hr I would assume 3-4 hours for everything cooling. Timing belt and water pump is easily another 4 hours on its own. It might save you some monies to have it done at once. All in and at once I would guess 700-900 in labor and shop supplies.

$550 seams cheap for all those parts, the radiator alone is about that price or more, be careful of what your getting

I got the oem Denso radiator 221-3125 for$165 on Amazon, aisin water pump kit TKT-021 with gasket, timing belt, tensioner for $185 on Amazon

Got cap, thermostat, drive belt, and upper/lower hoses at Lexus with 20% coupon

Coolant at Toyota with 20% coupon. Found a mechanic to do it for $500 total labor

I got the oem Denso radiator 221-3125 for$165 on Amazon, aisin water pump kit TKT-021 with gasket, timing belt, tensioner for $185 on Amazon

Got cap, thermostat, drive belt, and upper/lower hoses at Lexus with 20% coupon

Coolant at Toyota with 20% coupon. Found a mechanic to do it for $500 total labor

That's a good deal on labor

I spoke to 3 Indy mechanics and showed them my parts. I got quotes for $800, $600, and $500. I've done work with all three, so I know their work.

I was going to go with first guy that quoted me $600, but he went on a trip and closed the shop. I then got quotes for $800 and $500.

The last guy for $500 is super nice older man. He had customers waiting but he took 30 minutes to go over repairs and ended up telling me he's favorite car is an LX570. So we talked more. He's now my favorite mechanic even though he's about 30 minutes away from my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom