Windows and sunroof operation without the key in the ignition . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to have a switch I can turn on and off that would allow me to control the windows and sunroof without having the key in the ignition . The main reason to have this is when your camping inside the suv at night to let in more or less air without having to reach all the way to the key . I would like to just hit the switch on the doors . I have a magnetic bug net to keep the bugs out so I adjust the air flow by the amount the windows are open or closed same with the sun roof . I don't know how the wiring works but I would think all the doors and sunroof wiring has to run to the ignition and back out the other side so I was thinking a small jumper wire with a switch to allow the wires to bypass the ignition . I was thinking about putting the switch in a open slot in the panel . I don't know how this would effect the alarm system . If the key is in the ignition but not turned on and the doors locked would bypassing the ignition and opening the window set off the alarm ? Has anyone tried doing this and is it even possible ? If the alarm is a problem is there a way to shut off the alarm with a switch ?

Thanks That looks like a good weekend camping fix . I really wanted to just wire up a switch so I wouldn't have to take things apart every time I went camping but that would do until I can find a switch fix .

Once you have the jumper in place, it just stays there. No need to undo/redo it. I did the jumper in mine nearly 5 years ago and have never wanted to reverse it. It simply makes the windows and sunroof available to be opened/closed anytime. Not real sure why you would need a switch to over ride it. On mine, the alarm (RS3000) is not affected by the windows or sunroof, it only trips when a door opens.

Last edited:
here is the wiring diagram so you need 5 relay one small push button same one like alarm system is using ... i will se if i can make one and post pictures later i already made some before and it works excellent with key on you push the button and you can pull the layout and engine will stay running until you press brake pedal or if you need power without key you just push button and everything works until you press brake pedal ...

here is the wiring diagram so you need 5 relay one small push button same one like alarm system is using ... i will se if i can make one and post pictures later i already made some before and it works excellent with key on you push the button and you can pull the layout and engine will stay running until you press brake pedal or if you need power without key you just push button and everything works until you press brake pedal ...

Wow, nice! Could this be made to work until the driver door opened instead of pushing brake pedal?

Once you have the jumper in place, it just stays there. No need to undo/redo it. I did the jumper in mine nearly 5 years ago and have never wanted to reverse it. It simply makes the windows and sunroof available to be opened/closed anytime. Not real sure why you would need a switch to over ride it. On mine, the alarm (RS3000) is not affected by the windows or sunroof, it only trips when a door opens.
I thought that when the door was locked with the key from the out side or locked with a remote the window switch would not work along with the power door lock . If someone tried to break in using a wire to push the door unlock or windows button it would not work . But if you did the jumper and left it that way anyone could use a wire to lower the window because the jumper keeps it free to work if you leave the truck locked or unlocked . I want to make it as hard as I can from being broken into and if the jumper works the way I think it does it makes entry a lot easier to get in . A switch that can be hidden or harder to reach with a wire would allow me to keep all the safety feathers and allow me to shut it off when camping . You can test this out my lowering the window and locking the door with a key from the out side then once its locked reach in and push the power unlock panel button .The alarm should go off when the power lock is pushed . And the window button should not work when you reach in and push it .

Last edited:
Okay this might be a little more advanced than I can do but maybe if I understood it more I might get it but looking at it I'm not getting it yet . I don't want the car to keep running and idling when the key is out or have to push on the brake . I just want to override the part that controls the windows and sunroof and shut it on and off with a regular on and off switch so when I switch it off it stays off and when I switch it on it lets me put down the windows with the key out of the ignition . Can I do this by using a few less relays so I'm only bypassing or overriding the windows ? You sound like you know what you're doing so if anyone can figure it out I bet you can . If you get the time would you do a drawing that would be easy for someone like me that doesn't have a clue what I'm doing to follow . If its to much to ask I understand . I don't know how the wiring works but I was thinking that all the wires from the windows would have to be connected to the ignition switch some how . What I wanted to do was tap into the wires just before it went into the ignition switch run the spliced in wires to a on and off switch and solder them all together on one side of a on and off switch and on the other side of the switch run wires to where it comes out on the other side of the ignition switch . Is doing something like this possible ? I figured my on and off switch would work like the ignition switch because doesn't the ignition switch just disconnect and connect the wires just like a on and off switch does ? If that one little jumper wire makes all the windows work all the time then is there a way to leave the part that they are taking out and putting the jumper in to wire a switch between that part and where it was plugged into and a switch between the jumper wire making it so I would have 2 switches .One to open and close the jumper wire and another switch to open and close the factory box looking thing that was disconnected . Then I could just flip the jumper connection closed and flip the other open and when I was done camping just switch them both back so every thing would be factory again right ?

Last edited:
Go look at
again.

Now, instead of a wire to jumper where the relay was, just put a switch between the two push on connectors. Make the wires longer and run them to a switch you put in your dash. The possibilities for a switch are endless. Just make sure you run heavy enough wire for your windows, and a good switch. 20A would be a good starting point. 12AWG wire at a minimum.

I still don't get why you don't want it active 24/7 like most of us on here. You have to have the truck unlocked to use the power windows. So it's not like anyone can steal it or do harm. It is OH-SO-CONVENIENT to have this mod in place! Loading up the dog? Roll down his window while you load him up on the passenger side. Then he can look for sqwerls while you load up yourself.

The only drawback to having it on all the time is the little lamp in the switch. You have to dig in deep to find that little bulb and end it's life. It isn't hard, just time consuming.

Hope this helps a bit... :beer:

Go look at

again.

Now, instead of a wire to jumper where the relay was, just put a switch between the two push on connectors. Make the wires longer and run them to a switch you put in your dash. The possibilities for a switch are endless. Just make sure you run heavy enough wire for your windows, and a good switch. 20A would be a good starting point. 12AWG wire at a minimum.

I still don't get why you don't want it active 24/7 like most of us on here. You have to have the truck unlocked to use the power windows. So it's not like anyone can steal it or do harm. It is OH-SO-CONVENIENT to have this mod in place! Loading up the dog? Roll down his window while you load him up on the passenger side. Then he can look for sqwerls while you load up yourself.

The only drawback to having it on all the time is the little lamp in the switch. You have to dig in deep to find that little bulb and end it's life. It isn't hard, just time consuming.

Help me out I'm confused . The main reason I didn't want to just use a jumper and leave it that was because I though that when the jumper was in place the window would go up and down rather the truck was locked or unlocked making it easy for someone to put a wire through the seal and push the window button and get in . If that's not the case and the window does not work when you lock the doors with a key or remote then that would be great and I would do that and just get rid of the bulb . But there is what I think happens when the jumper is in place . Even when you lock the door from the out side or you use remote the window will still go up and down allowing a wire going through the seal to open the window . So my question is with the jumper in place , if the door is locked from the out side with a key or using a remote can someone break in using a wire to push the window button on the panel ? I know that the way it is with the relay in place when you lock the doors on the out side with a key or remote if you reach in to lower the window more it won't work or neither will the lock unlock button .

I still don't get why you don't want it active 24/7 like most of us on here. You have to have the truck unlocked to use the power windows. So it's not like anyone can steal it or do harm.

I don't think that is a correct statement. Certainly not true on my 94. The door lock state has nothing to do with window control.

Go look at

again.

If you have a jumper in place right now will you try this and let me know what happens . Put your window down , get out of the truck and shut the door , lock the truck with a remote or a key , reach in and push the lock/unlock in either direction and let me know if it locks and unlocks the doors or if it does nothing . next push on the window buttons and see if it will close and open the window . If you reach in and the windows can be raised and lowered then someone can get in really easily and the jumper should not be used unless your planning on being at the truck the whole time or just used for night time use while your in the truck to control the windows with out having to turn the key . If the lock and unlock does not work or the windows do not open and close then I'm in with the jumper .

Your lock/unlock switch works all the time, regardless of whether your key is in the ignition or not. As a Firefighter this is how we get locked infants out of vehicles all the time. Since this button is always active what difference does it make whether the up/down window button is always active?

Of course my windows will roll up and down and the doors will still lock and unlock like they always do.
Locking the door won't change a thing. Arming the alarm might arm a door sensor maybe?

If you are worried that someone might actually know you have made this mod and wants to steal your truck by rolling down the windows with a coat hanger, then maybe this mod is not for you. I think there are easier ways to break into my truck.

I have an ignition cutout switch I can engage if I park the truck in a questionable area. Or, just pull the right parts and carry them with you. It is highly unlikely a thief will troubleshoot a no-start situation. Unless they're on 'mud...

I never lock my door with the window down. At least not on purpose. It just don't make no sense.

Your lock/unlock switch works all the time, regardless of whether your key is in the ignition or not. As a Firefighter this is how we get locked infants out of vehicles all the time. Since this button is always active what difference does it make whether the up/down window button is always active?
I have a 1997 lexus lx450 If I put the window down so I can test to see if the loc/unlock switch works or not when I'm standing out side and I lock the doors . When I reach in to unlock the door the door will not unlock by using the locl/unlock switch . If you have a 1997 truck and you put your window down to do this test and you lock the door from the outside you should not be able to reach in and unlock the door using the door lock /unlock switch . If you can then something is wrong with your wiring . You can ask anyone on here that has this truck that is factory and they will tell you the lock /unlock switch does not unlock the door if the truck is locked from the outside .

Last edited:
Of course my windows will roll up and down and the doors will still lock and unlock like they always do.
Locking the door won't change a thing. Arming the alarm might arm a door sensor maybe?

If you are worried that someone might actually know you have made this mod and wants to steal your truck by rolling down the windows with a coat hanger, then maybe this mod is not for you. I think there are easier ways to break into my truck.

I have an ignition cutout switch I can engage if I park the truck in a questionable area. Or, just pull the right parts and carry them with you. It is highly unlikely a thief will troubleshoot a no-start situation. Unless they're on 'mud...

I never lock my door with the window down. At least not on purpose. It just don't make no sense.
I know your doors will lock and unlock using your key or remote like they always do but that's not what I'm asking you to check .I know you probable never lock your door with the window down .I wanted you to do it as a test so you can reach in . I only wanted you to put the window down so you could stand out side the truck shut the door and lock it with a key or remote and be able to reach in to test the switches . then I just wanted you to let me know if you reached in to the open window with the doors locked , are you able to push the lock/unlock button and unlock the door and push the window button and see if the windows would move up and down . In my 1997 lexus lx450 If I put the window down ( just so I can reach in and do this test ) If I lock the door with a key or use a remote to lock the door my lock/unlock switch does not unlock the door . nor does the windows switches work . What I'm trying to find out from you since you have the jumper in place , if that jumper is allowing the door locl/unlock button that before the jumper was placed would not let you unlock the door if the door was locked from the outside and you reach in to unlock it , to being allowed to unlock the door if you reach in and pushed the unlock button . If you can now (with the jumper in place) reach in the open window with the door locked from the out side and unlock the door using the lock/unlock switch then the jumper is changing the way the door lock button works as well as the windows . Would you do this test for me and see what happens ans let me know ?
If anyone else reads this and knows what I'm talking about and what I want to know about, would you reword it so it makes sense. I am the worse at putting things down into words that make sense .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom