1HZ pistons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having a turbo and an intercooler installed on my truck soon. I was thinking of having some Alfin type Pistons installed. The more I look into it, the more I think that the intercooler is going to keep the temps down and the boost is going to be low so it's about $2300 for the Pistons and install. What do you guys think ?

some turbo pistons for 1HZ require 1HDT conrods which have a larger wrist pin, so stronger piston.

Boost is your friend.
Low boost and increased fueling in a turbo 1HZ is a recipe for pain. It produces high combustion temperatures. Heat well kill a 1HZ before boost does.
I'd say run around 1 Bar of boost (14psi) and set fuel to a safe EGT. This gives you plenty of air, keeping combustion temps lower
Intercooler should help keep temps down a little.
What turbo are you going to use? You want one that will spool up quickly atawithout ow rpm without a dirty rich tune to drive it.

If turbo is not installed yet then swap engines. For what you can get for a 1HZ and your turbo kit you can get a 1HDT.

I love my turbo but after chasing one improvement after another keeping things under control for an engine never designed to be turbo'd I'd have been better off swapping.

My .02

If you choose to stay with the 1HZ definitely give it the best flowing exhaust, an intercooler, and think about upgrading your radiator

If turbo is not installed yet then swap engines. For what you can get for a 1HZ and your turbo kit you can get a 1HDT.

I love my turbo but after chasing one improvement after another keeping things under control for an engine never designed to be turbo'd I'd have been better off swapping.

My .02

If you choose to stay with the 1HZ definitely give it the best flowing exhaust, an intercooler, and think about upgrading your radiator

My first mod was to have an aluminum radiator installed. And yes there will be a new exhaust and intercooler.

I may quite happy with my 1hz turbo but as @77cruiser77 mentioned it will be about the same cost believe it or not to do a 1hdt swap.

One thing that drives me a bit nuts about the 1hdt is you will have to change BEBs every 100k/km. 1hz you don't have that problem.

While this may not be the case in Canada, here in the U.S., the 1HZ is still somewhat rare while the 1HD-T is even more comparatively speaking. So just "dropping in" a 1HD-T may not be a viable option for many.

it's about $2300 for the Pistons and install. What do you guys think ?

I would leave the old pistons in there and take care of them. If you are going with new pistons you might as well use an engine kit and do a full rebuild. I wouldn't put new pistons in without honing the bore.

New piston it's a pandora box .. how much boost are you targeting for ? if you mention your turbo selection I miss it sorry..

there are plenty low boost 1HZ rolling around with no major problems if you are ok with keeping it low .. ( 12PSI it's my recipe ) with according fuel setup ..

My understanding is that the early 1HZ's are built tougher than the newer ones. The older ones handle turbocharging better apparently. I'd leave the pistons alone if it were my project. The cylinder head is more likely to have issues first (from all the extra heat). So focusing on your cooling system is probably most important.

some turbo pistons for 1HZ require 1HDT conrods which have a larger wrist pin, so stronger piston.

Boost is your friend.
Low boost and increased fueling in a turbo 1HZ is a recipe for pain. It produces high combustion temperatures. Heat well kill a 1HZ before boost does.
I'd say run around 1 Bar of boost (14psi) and set fuel to a safe EGT. This gives you plenty of air, keeping combustion temps lower
Intercooler should help keep temps down a little.
What turbo are you going to use? You want one that will spool up quickly atawithout ow rpm without a dirty rich tune to drive it.

Did any of you guys try the Spool Toyota 1HZT Diesel Conrod & Ross Custom Forged Pistons Package?
https://www.spoolimports.com/spool-toyota-1hzt-diesel-conrod-ross-custom-forged-pistons-package
Spool Toyota 1HZT Diesel Conrod & Ross Custom Forged Pistons Package - https://www.spoolimports.com/spool-toyota-1hzt-diesel-conrod-ross-custom-forged-pistons-package

Would love to heat out the story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom