Weird Driveline Squealing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Lately, I've been hearing this squealing from underneath the car (like running over a bunch of dog toys). I tried greasing the driveshafts but if anything it maybe made it louder. It also ONLY happens in gear and below about 5-10 mph, if I pop it into neutral ithe sound stops entirely, and once the speedo starts registering the sound drops off very quickly.
Anyone know what it is/seen this before?

Lately, I've been hearing this squealing from underneath the car (like running over a bunch of dog toys). I tried greasing the driveshafts but if anything it maybe made it louder. It also ONLY happens in gear and below about 5-10 mph, if I pop it into neutral ithe sound stops entirely, and once the speedo starts registering the sound drops off very quickly.
Anyone know what it is/seen this before?
Classic signs of a failing headgasket

I assume this doesn't happen if the truck's not moving.

When the engine's cold, crawl under the passenger side front door and grab the cats. Wiggle them as fast as you can and see if that approximates the sound (if this is it, you won't get exactly the same sound, because you don't have enough energy, but it'll be similar). A sound that changes with speed (either engine or driveline) is vibration induced. The reason it comes and goes is that you're near or at the harmonic resonance frequency. If you can wiggle the exhaust (alot), look at the vibration dampers. If they look like crumbly bits of hardened rubber, that's the problem.

If you can get it up on a lift and spin the driveline, you can watch for this kind of vibration. If you can't, and you're not feeling froggy enough to try it on jackstands, it'll be tough to find.

U-Joints is still first on my list. (Cehck them on a level surface, in neural, with driveline UNLOADED.
Brake caliper sticking?
Rock on a brake caliper?
Parking brake on / stuck?

As I speed up, the noise gets faster until it goes away (it has this high-low pitch transition). I'll try to find someone with a lift to check it that way. Brakes are fine, handbrakes fine. It doesn't change with application of the brakes either.

It's the U joints. I had the exact same problem. I thought it was the drive belt system and changed every belt drive component. No luck.

The culprit for me was the front U joint closest to the transfer case. I greased it and no more annoying squeaking.

My catalytic converts scream like banshees at the right speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom