Builds My 40 Build... 20 years and Counting... Purists beware, this may hurt... :D (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_6556.JPG
IMG_6559.JPG

These need to be joined with 6 bolts.

To do:
Throw out bearing
Join 'em & bolt to motor mounts
Install distributor
Fill with oil
Test oil pump
Plugs & ignition wires
Heat shields
Install oil sender
Valve adjustment
Install and hook up carb
Hook up wiring
Radiator fan
Compressor
Alternator
Rad
Hoses
Coolant
And 25 other things I can't think of at the moment.

Time to get some more pizza and beer :D need to call on some more help from friends.

At first it cranked over but wouldn't fire. A quick check of the fuses and I found the ignition fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and then she sprung to life. Many small things left, but progress.

Drove it a few feet... :D

Found some things to add to the list:
Speedo doesn't work (even though I didn't touch the trans)
Fuel gauge doesn't move (may be empty)
Oil gauge doesn't move (but I know there's pressure)
Low beams not working
Left turn signal

It's a bit like starting over... everything worked fine after it sat untouched for 2 years. Now just over a year and all sorts of weird problems. Go figure

Gauges weren't working because I'd borrowed a fuse... my bad. Oil pressure is at least twice what the last SBC had :D

Working on little things. Ram Horn Manifolds with OEM heat shields

IMG_6592.JPG
IMG_6593.JPG
IMG_6595.JPG
IMG_6596.JPG
IMG_6597.JPG

Up next... Walker 22105 Quiet-Flow SS muffler, crossover, and exhaust plumbing. And more loose ends.

More pics to follow soon(ish).

teaser...

Quiet enough to hear the carb his in the audio :D

Almost road worthy. The exhaust with a Walker 22105 is installed... boy is it quiet :D

Old vs New
IMG_6688.JPG

I've got a couple little things to do, but the road is now in sight... finally.

Last edited:
I've even ordered a '2F sender' to make the water temperature gauge work properly again... for the first time since 1996 all the gauges will work again :D

The one exception is that the ammeter doesn't show charge... only discharge. This is because the 120 A alternator would melt the wiring going to the 30 A ammeter... or burn something up. I have a voltmeter to replace it with, but it'll take more 'custom' work to install it in the dash cluster.

IMG_6694.JPG
Random sender trivia... stock water senders are M16 x 1.5mm thread. I had a 1/2" pipe thread bushing that was a size smaller drilled out and tapped by a local machine shop (Clarke Engineering).
Coast Industrial is my regular go to, but they didn't have the Metric to Imperial bushing. They did have a brass bushing for $3 that could be retapped. This was to duplicate the bushing used by Toyota that wasn't available locally.

The OEM gauges now monitor the SBCs Oil and Water... just like they did for the 1.5F. :D

After replacing fuel lines and filters earlier in the week... I insured it and topped up the fuel.

On the test drive with my daughter and her young friends, I found that it still puts smiles on everyone's faces.

I still need to dig into a couple little things, and fine tune the newer motor. However, that's the reality of owning a 40. Especially one that's been out of service for a while.

Came up with a solution to a potential problem. After rerouting the exhaust and relocating the muffler, there were a couple spots that the line from the compressor under the hood to the tank towards the back was closer to the exhaust than I'd like... my first thought was to reroute it, but that would open several other cans of worms. After some consideration, I decided to cut up some prebent coolant hoses I had that were in new condition, but I'd chosen not to run since they were 10+ years old.

My solution was to cut 2 sections of 1" id hose that had the right shape to match the air line. I then spit it down the side that would be furthest from the heat source. Next I fit it over the air line and secured it with zap straps roughly 1.5" apart. Now the air line will have an extra layer of heat protection... to reduce any chance of failure. When I eventually replace the line, I'll reevaluate its routing... until then, it will be golden.

I'd recommend this approach to protect any vulnerable hoses or wiring from heat &/or abrasion. I've seen split loom or other types of hose used by other mechanics in the past.

Why worry about it when the line is rated to 200+ deg ferinheight? Well I'll tell you... in the late '90s after installing the onboard air, I was headed down towards Seattle and got stuck in a long lineup at the Peace Arch. After several hours in the line, slowly pulling forward a car length at s time, underhood temperatures rose to record highs... Eventually the line carrying close to 150 psi started to soften from the heat. I can't tell you how many nearby car passengers jumper when the line blew suddenly. It went off like a gunshot. I quietly pulled the fuse from under the dash and proceeded to look around casually. These days who knows what might happen... hopefully I'd only get a warning or be arrested. ;)

Been driving it around and I'm finding I really enjoy quiet smooth power that's readily available. If you're on the fence about a quieter exhaust... do it.

I'd highly recommend Walker Quiet-Flow 22105 muffler... almost too quiet. But I love it.

happen to have any videos from a little further away of the exhaust? I'll be crossing this bridge soon enough. I would like a little of the V8 growl, but I, like you, would preffer a comfortable, relatively quiet ride to loud hot-roddy exhaust.

happen to have any videos from a little further away of the exhaust? I'll be crossing this bridge soon enough. I would like a little of the V8 growl, but I, like you, would preffer a comfortable, relatively quiet ride to loud hot-roddy exhaust.

I'll post some pictures and another video... but it's likely too quiet if you want V8 Growl. The heater fan is the loudest thing... even when you step in it. It's now a stealth V8.

I'll post some pictures and another video... but it's likely too quiet if you want V8 Growl. The heater fan is the loudest thing... even when you step in it. It's now a stealth V8.

That is not necessarily a bad thing...growl may not be the word I'm looking for - more of a rumble.

You're likely looking for more of a quality 'Turbo muffler' with at least 2' of tail pipe after it. This Walker muffler sounded much louder (raspier) when it only had 6" of pipe after it.

I now have a better understanding of why shops are hesitant to make general recommend mufflers... even a quiet muffler is louder when there is a short tailpipe. The displacement, number of cylinders, length of header pipe(s), diameter of pipe(s), number of mufflers, length of tailpipe(s), and diameter of tailpipe(s) all play into the way it sounds.

You're likely looking for more of a quality 'Turbo muffler' with at least 2' of tail pipe after it. This Walker muffler sounded much louder (raspier) when it only had 6" of pipe after it.

I now have a better understanding of why shops are hesitant to make general recommend mufflers... even a quiet muffler is louder when there is a short tailpipe. The displacement, number of cylinders, length of header pipe(s), diameter of pipe(s), number of mufflers, length of tailpipe(s), and diameter of tailpipe(s) all play into the way it sounds.

That's the direction I was leaning - but I'm concerned it might be too loud/droning once installed. If you get around to taking the video, I'd still be interested to see how yours ended up! Definitely no hurry though - I'm at least a couple months out from getting there the way things have been going.

A short clip from inside with a passenger holding the phone on the dash:

Behind the mirror while stopped:

It reminds me of the '66 GMC we had that had been my grandfathers on the farm. Low down torque is excellent... but the A/C compressor is louder than the engine. It's not silent but it is very, very mellow. It you've got sensory issues, this is the muffler for you... if you want to hear the V8, it's likely too quiet. It reminds me of the BMW motorcycle I had.

I'm going to enjoy the fresh air and the scenery with no noise. That said, I'll need to install the stereo I've had sitting a shelf for the last 10 years... now that I can hear it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom