Windshield Frame Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings folks.

Like many others, my lower windshield frame was rotted out and simply couldn't afford the $800USD to buy a whole new frame.

So I had a local sheet metal place custom manufacture and bend a two-piece repair.

The front piece is essentially a "J" whereby you cut about an inch of the bottom frame off and then weld this piece in. The "J" part is what wraps and seals the bottom edge of the frame, and it's where the 2nd piece slides into.

The 2nd piece is a backwards "Z" design which replaces the portion of the frame which rests against the rubber seal. Once this 2nd piece slides into the "J" section, it gets crimped and welded for strength and a tight seal.

Weld it all together as you see fit, and seal it up with automotive silicone and get ready for paint!

I used one set to repair my frame and now have one set leftover. I will sell it at my cost of $250CAD.

It does require some cutting and welding, and I'm no body shop so I've only got mine to the installed and functional stage but am very happy with how it turned out.

Let me know if you'd like my 2nd set or if you have any questions.

IMG_7097.JPG

IMG_7130.JPG

IMG_7131.JPG

IMG_7134.JPG

IMG_7139.JPG

Winters coming folks...I have one set to fix your leaking windshield frame!

Great work. It would have been so easy to scrap that. Real Cruiser love there. Does this happen because of dry rotted weather stripping allowing water to get down in the V groove along the bottom edge? Or does the rust start on the outside and work in?

Great work. I did a similar repair on my fj73 , not as meticulous as your job.
Once finished I drilled some holes into the cavity and squirted liquid expanding foam in there.
Will this prevent future rust? No idea. It was 4 years ago and no visible rust yet.

This is great work for someone that has the tools and knowledge. I only wish I was that skilled.

A fiberglass frame would be the way to go and never have to worry about it again. I wish it was an option for me except they lack the proper channel for OEM soft top.

Thanks for the encouragement folks, and good work keeping your rigs alive as well!

I couldn't imagine trying to do this fix without the custom bent material made by someone else. My end of the work was pretty simple with a grinder and mig welder.

I've heard the fiberglass frames can be difficult to seat a new windshield into at times...maybe just need to cut away any excess fiberglass if necessary?

As for the reason why this happened to my frame, I found quite a bit of silicone on the outside edge of the frame which I believe the PO felt that water was getting in from the outside and thus sealed it up. I feel that that is exactly what you do not want to do! The rubber seal compresses between the frame and the firewall/dash so as to create a tight seal, thus pushing any water which hits it out to the edges and away from the vehicle.

There are two OEM drain holes on each side at the bottom of the frame which I assume drain whatever water does get into the frame, but I'm sure residual condensation can remain and ultimately cause interior rusting of the frame. Therefore, I will be doing as others have done and suggested and drill a few holes from the inside edge of the frame (inside cabin) and spray some kind of rust preventative coating inside each year, filling the hole with a rubber access plug.

I've heard the fiberglass frames can be difficult to seat a new windshield into at times...maybe just need to cut away any excess fiberglass if necessary?

I don't know if that is true. @joekatana sells them sometimes. He would be the one to ask about how easy or difficult the glass is to install into a fiberglass frame.

I know there is a youtube video that demonstrates how to install the glass into a fiberglass frame. I would imagine the process is the same for OEM ones as well.

Great work. It would have been so easy to scrap that. Real Cruiser love there. Does this happen because of dry rotted weather stripping allowing water to get down in the V groove along the bottom edge? Or does the rust start on the outside and work in?

Design flaw from Toyota that is why in Europe people have been replacing these with fiberglass frames for the past 20 years.

Great video and looks like a great fit too with the fiberglass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom