Should I buy an 80, costs of ownership? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm reviving this thread because I learned a lot from this and really made me think about not just the price of the vehicle but also the ongoing maintenance costs. I recently purchased a 95 that I probably paid too much for but is a very clean unmolested 80 with 2 prior owners and some service records. I plan on keeping this for a long time. For people like me who are looking at getting into an 80 this thread should be mandatory reading!

At this point I find it very important to point out that not only are these things expensive to feed and care for. Many replacement parts, parrticularly body and trim items have been discontinued.

Mine rolled 200,000 mIles on the way back from Cruise Moab last May. In a couple weeks it is going elk hunting and I expect zero vehicle issues in the back country for the week the old gal will be working.

At this point I find it very important to point out that not only are these things expensive to feed and care for. Many replacement parts, parrticularly body and trim items have been discontinued.

very true and also worthy of note is there are going to also be parts that will not be available reman from the dealership due to age, youll have to go with a new unit or finde it aftermarket. i had to replace the steering gear box and my cost was going to be 1500 for a new factory box, i ended up going aftermarket reman for 500 or so.

Real factory steering boxes are way well north of 2,000 bucks

I just read this whole thread through, and wondering how many original posters still have their 80's, besides C-Dan of course? I bought my 93 in 2013 with 242,000. Regular maintenance; although they balked at the front end rebuild. At 290,000 now with birf service, HG and everything while I was there. Still an incredible vehicle!

I have one.
20170316_161101.jpg

I just read this whole thread through, and wondering how many original posters still have their 80's, besides C-Dan of course? I bought my 93 in 2013 with 242,000. Regular maintenance; although they balked at the front end rebuild. At 290,000 now with birf service, HG and everything while I was there. Still an incredible vehicle!

While I never posted back 2006, Dan started this thread while I was shopping for my 80. I ended up buying in the spring of 2007 as I waited for the right truck. It had 81K on it. Today she sits at about 230? I don't pay that close attention anymore. But Dan's words always sit in the back of my mind. Never the less I plan to keep it for many more years.

You forgot to mention the 1-2 hours a day reading IH8MUD threads...

Owning a Land Cruiser changes you.

I just read this whole thread and I'm not even shopping for an 80... Perfect example!

80 series is undervalued IMO...

I just read this whole thread through, and wondering how many original posters still have their 80's, besides C-Dan of course? SNIP

While I checked in in 2009 and posted here in 2015, the Cow is still going strong at somewhere north of 175,000. Don't dent it, though, it's heck trying to track down all the pieces. Now if I can only get back to that front axle service I started in 2010...I should probably just start over on that. As OCD as this community is, it's also the case that the 80 is pretty immune to neglect, fix 'em up and go on if it does become a problem, you'll usually have time to save up for what you need.:barefoot: It's a survivor.

Not many of us as original owners, but I'm in that rare crowd with Dan. Bought my '94 in August of that year. Build date is July. She's got 249,000 miles on her and has been nothing but a weekend warrior for several years now so mileage isn't racking up like it used to!

Photoman and George Scolaro are original owners. Jon Held may have sold his 92 purchased new. He now has an LX450.

DAMMIT Phil!

I'm sorry. I should remember you of all people because yours is supercharged.:slap:

An interesting footnote.

4 of the 5 original-owner 1FZ trucks just mentioned are supercharged. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom