Water pumps and radiators. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

So I brought my LC from Japan to the states and right before I put it on the boat (literally at the dock) the engine temp spiked. I took out the thermostat and it seemed to be fine. Put it on the boat and picked it up two months later in the states.

Drove it from the vehicle processing center to a local mechanic and had him install a new thermostat. On my way home I drove at highway speeds for about an hour. Temps held steady right in the middle of the gauge. Eventually, however, I saw it start to climb quickly so I promptly pulled over jut before an exit and shut the car down. Let it sit with the hood open for 10 min. Temps were definitely high as I could hear the fluid bubbling. Started her back up and drove about 35 min to a Toyota dealership and the temps held steady right in the middle of the gauge the entire time. No problems and the dealership can't recreate the overheating.

They said my radiator is gunked up and rusty and believe my water pump could also be at fault. They want to replace my radiator and water pump. They're telling me OEM rads are discontinued and an OEM water pump will take a week to get in (Jacksonville being flooded from the hurricane). I do t really have a lot of time to wait around as I'm in the Navy and evacuated from key west but will have to return soon.

What do you guys think? Can I get away with aftermarket an aftermarket radiator and water pump? I think as far as the radiator goes I'm SOL given it being discontinued. I'm open to suggestions for either what I should do or recommended after market brands.

They're quoting me for 1700 - military discount for radiator, pump, and 6 hours of expected work.

Hope you all are well, look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-Booboo

1991 FJ-80
3FE

@jonheld
@LS1FJ40

These guys can help you out on what to do for your 91 3FE. They should be able to advise what radiator and WP will be best suited for your situation.

This guy's in the service. Get him taken care of!

if your going aftermarket id go with a gates waterpump and a koyo rad. gates makes a quality produce and if we cant gat a factory part well try to go for the koyo rad at work

... a local mechanic and had him install a new thermostat. ...

Did he install both gaskets? What you are experiencing can happen if the top gasket is left off.

What @Tools R Us said regarding the thermostat. Most people don't realize there are two gaskets.

As for the radiator, buy a CSF. They are about $350ish. If you have down time you can change a water pump and radiator. It isn't rocket science by any means. That'll save you a chunk of change. I have no experience with any water pumps other than Toyota OEM.

If you're anywhere close to me, PM me. I think I could scare something up.

Did anyone else think that the title of this thread could be the title of a Cake song?

My first suspect is always the fan clutch, but I wasn't there to watch them flush out the cooling system.
Were there any overheating issues while you were in Japan or was this just a sudden occurrence?

Hey all,

They replaced the rad and pump. Haven't seen the work yet, but they were adamant it needed replacing due to the amount of rust they found in the system. Unfortunately, I'm in the Keys aiding with Hurricane relief efforts and getting our base back up and running. Had to leave the vehicle at the dealership in Georgia when I was recalled suddenly to assist. I'll be sure to update this post if anything comes up again so people searching in the future get some answers.

Thanks for all the help!

Definitely check the fan clutch. It's easy, with engine off, hold tip of fan blade firmly. Have a helper start the engine. A good fan clutch will rip the fan out of your hands. A weak one will allow you to hold the fan still.

Be careful, don't grab a fan when the engine's running. And don't wear loose clothing, long hair, etc, when doing this experiment.

I am not a fan of putting hands near rotating parts, but that's just me.

A properly operating fan clutch will roar like a DC10 when you first start the engine. In about 20-30 seconds it should start to disengage, assuming that the engine is cold. On the highway you should be able to hear the clutch lock up and unlock as engine temp fluctuates.

The fan shroud must be in place and have a good seal against the radiator.

Definitely check the fan clutch. It's easy, with engine off, hold tip of fan blade firmly. Have a helper start the engine. A good fan clutch will rip the fan out of your hands. A weak one will allow you to hold the fan still.

Be careful, don't grab a fan when the engine's running. And don't wear loose clothing, long hair, etc, when doing this experiment.

Or just spin it with your hand with the engine off. If it spins freely without stopping almost immediately after you stop trying to spin it, it's bad.

I'm also looking for a deal on a KoyoRad for my 1996 fj80. And a water pump w/clutch as well.
Who makes a good one with 3 Rows of copper cooling fins?

I was looking at Koyorad online and all I see is 2 row aluminum.
Now I'm looking at a CSF. They look like better construction, with 3 rows and all metal.

Last edited:
I'm also looking for a deal on a KoyoRad for my 1996 fj80. And a water pump w/clutch as well.
Who makes a good one with 3 Rows of copper cooling fins?

I was looking at Koyorad online and all I see is 2 row aluminum.
Now I'm looking at a CSF. They look like better construction, with 3 rows and all metal.

^^^^^

CSF 2517

Do water pumps wear out? I dont mean the bearings, i am thinking about the fins. Not sure if they are plastic or metal.

Thanks Flintnapper,
Who makes the best aftermarket waterpump and fan clutch?
Also is the CSF 2517 Radiator made from Aluminum or Brass/copper?

Last edited:
Do water pumps wear out? I dont mean the bearings, i am thinking about the fins. Not sure if they are plastic or metal.
The impeller fins are stamped metal on the OEM pumps. I had a noisy bearing on the original in my 97 and changed it with a new OEM unit. It comes with a metal crush gasket.

Thanks Flintnapper,
I don't think anyone would recommend an aftermarket water pump or fan clutch. OEM is simply not that expensive and higher quality for 2 items that are crucial to the health of the engine.

Thanks Flintnapper,

Nobody makes the best aftermarket water pump. Aisin makes the OEM waterpump and fan clutch. But it and be done.

I don't think anyone would recommend an aftermarket water pump or fan clutch. OEM is simply not that expensive and higher quality for 2 items that are crucial to the health of the engine.

As per usual, Jon beat me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom