Builds "Guinea Pig" GX460 Light Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That really completes the truck, nice work! Do you know if those wheels are hub centric? I've been looking at wheels and haven't really found anything that is hub centric in 18s.

Thanks @Nickk6! I believe they are hub-centric. I don't have any vibrations or issues so far with the wheels and know that Discount Tire didn't use any hub-centric rings on the wheels.

I flexed the suspension last night with the new tires and am hitting the upper control arms when stuffed at full lock, but not by much. Any rubbing is too much for me. I'm going to have my alignment checked this weekend and figure out if I'll go with new UCA's, spacers, or swap the tires out for the 265/70r18s. I'm thinking the 265/70r18 might be a better choice as it's also not quite as wide as the 275/70r18.

I've attached the calc's for tire size difference over the stock 265/60r18s for reference.
What was the result of this? Did you swap tires? Trim? Did alignment fix?

What was the result of this? Did you swap tires? Trim? Did alignment fix?

Alignment did the fix. They set the caster as far forward as possible while keeping everything else withing factory spec. No more rubbing on the body mount. I did have to do some more fender massaging with the heat gun though, but that's the easy part.

@stilespendleton thank you so much for testing and documenting all of this! I've just installed the 5100s on my 2010 and threw some new 275/70 BFGs on. Waiting on a call back from Mark at Metal Tech regarding sliders.

FullSizeRender.jpg

@stilespendleton - the truck is looking killer, I love those wheels. I have never been a fan of black rims, call me old school, but those look great, you may have just convinced me to pull the trigger on a set.

I ordered a classic bull bar from Dobinson's (got a great deal on an open box), and threw it on this past weekend. With a very minimal market for GX 460 front bumpers (one thus far), and my predilection for the classic bull bar design (ARB, TJM etc..), I figured it would be a fun project. I am happy to post up pictures and some install notes if anyone has interest. Now, we just need to get the rear bumper market cranking!

@stilespendleton thank you for documenting all your mods! Another "copy cat" here. Billstien 5100s (3rd notch), OME 10mm spacer, 275-75-18 KO2s. Got 2.25 inches up front and about 3/8 in the rear.

Just like most people on here looking for just a little more lift now. I'm leaning toward Dobinson springs on the Billstiens dropping the perch to 2nd notch (looking for 3 inches up front) and leveling rear at same height.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I was contemplating the IronMan FCP option, but changed gears and went with Dobinson's all around. Total install, based on my spring choice, gave me about 2 1/4 up front and about 1 3/4 in the rear, which is exactly what I was looking for, as it gave me some height and fixed some of the rake issue. Price point was comparable to OME, and having that installed on my 100 series, I can say they ride (somewhat) similar. A definite improvement over stock.

As a note, I was out at Cruise Moab last week and saw the Metal Tech 460 with front and rear bumpers. That rear bumper is huge, very similar in design and look to the GX 470 bumper.

View attachment 1457459

Zman, can you give the specifics on what parts you used? Did you use the standard twin-tube yellow Dobinson's shocks or the MRR with reservoir? Which springs did you order? Do you still like the ride on the highway? I don't think I'm quite ready to step up to the cost of the MRR or the FCPs but looking to improve my worn-out stock shocks?

Hey MGD. I went with the C59-724 springs in front, with C59-723 in the rear. I used GS59-700 standard twin tube (yellow) in front with GS59-701 standard in the rear. The whole set up was price comparable to the OME setup I have run for years on my 100 series, and the ride seems similar. The ride on the highway is good, definitely an improvement over stock, with drastically reduced nose dive. I have since added a front bumper, and will upgrade to the C59-726 front coils at some point (probably after I install a rear bumper and see what the stance is)..not any time soon.

All in all, I am happy, price point was solid and Mike was very responsive and great to work with. I have attached two pics with this setup, post bumper and roof rack, to show the stance. i will get some action shots at some point...the driveway is lame
IMG_20170811_105726-2.jpg
IMG_20170916_132903.jpg

@zman7980 your rig is looking killer! I'm still trying to decide what front bumper to go with. I like to classic look of the ARB design (same as Ironman & Dobinson's), but am not sure about how far it sticks out. I really like Metal Tech's bumper because it doesn't protrude out as much and is specific to the GX460. First World Problems!

Any updates on how the Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension is running - a couple years later? Still happy with ride, maintenance issues, etc?

Don't the wrangler boys use spacers to fit bigger tires on their gates?

I'm curious if the guys over at AUStoUSA.com could source a silver rear door. They seem pretty willing and able.

Has anyone pursued this yet? Will a Prado door fit onto the GX460? I've done some research and not come up with anything yet.

What's up man, I'm trying to get my GX to sit Exactly like yours.
Can you tell me what kit you went with and what tires you put on there?

Thanks man I'm having trouble finding the right kit and good answers.

What's up man, I'm trying to get my GX to sit Exactly like yours.
Can you tell me what kit you went with and what tires you put on there?

Thanks man I'm having trouble finding the right kit and good answers.
A lot of the kits have adjustable front shocks/coils. You should be able to adjust out the "stink-bug" look.
Also, depending upon what you're adding to your rig, e.g. heavy metal bumpers, winch, racks, etc. that will also level out your vehicle too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom