LS3 manual or auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PCC

Threads
I recently bought an '87 FJ60 and will sent it out for a Connect & Cruise LS3 swap in the next few weeks. I've had a manual transmission in almost every car I've owned. Many are suggesting an auto will be a better fit for this restomod. Just curious if there are any Pros/Cons I haven't thought of. I'm new here and would value some input

I would only keep it manual transmission if you can convert it to a H55F 5 speed, or swap in a NV4500 5 speed.

1:1 final drive just isn't good enough with an engine like that. You'll want overdrive as cruising at 70+ is nice.

The auto route is usually easier because of cost vs benefits, unless you have access to a cheap 5 speed manual.

Think you will hear both camps here. Many go with the auto simply because of its simplicity and reliability, not to mention they are EVERYWHERE. The NV4500 is a little harder to find, a bit more pricey but is still just as reliable and simple.

Ultimately, it really all comes down to what you want. I personally bought a 60 over a 62 because of two factors; Round Eyes are better and the manual tranny. If/when I do a swap I will be going to an applicable 5spd manual as that is what I want. Again, a very personal experience.

I would only keep it manual transmission if you can convert it to a H55F 5 speed, or swap in a NV4500 5 speed.

1:1 final drive just isn't good enough with an engine like that. You'll want overdrive as cruising at 70+ is nice.

The auto route is usually easier because of cost vs benefits, unless you have access to a cheap 5 speed manual.

Think you will hear both camps here. Many go with the auto simply because of its simplicity and reliability, not to mention they are EVERYWHERE. The NV4500 is a little harder to find, a bit more pricey but is still just as reliable and simple.

Ultimately, it really all comes down to what you want. I personally bought a 60 over a 62 because of two factors; Round Eyes are better and the manual tranny. If/when I do a swap I will be going to an applicable 5spd manual as that is what I want. Again, a very personal experience.

I had the H55 when I first got the 5.3L conversion, great tranny. My truck had many issues with broken front tranny retainers (2X), clutch rattle & and finally the clutch exploded, turns out the problem was the mechanic used the incorrect AA adapter. I ended up selling the h55 and bought a newer (2002 I believe) to mate chevy motor to chevy tranny and the got the AA adapter to mate the tranny to TC. I have yet to get my truck on the road but everything I hear about the nv4500 has been positive. Lately, I've been debating going auto since my old left knee doesn't cooperate the way it used to...

I also agree with Greg, just a mater of preference. I love 5-speed and the fact that if my battery were to die, I can always push start my heavy truck or roll down an incline and pop the clutch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom