Build Thread for FJ80 Trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I bought a parts truck for my 80. I then had a revelation, I could make a trailer out of it! I am currently in the process of stripping it clean from all the excess stuff that isn't needed in a trailer. This will be an ongoing thread, and I will post pictures from time to time as I go along. I saw a picture of a finished product somewhere, although only from the back.
My plan is to cut it at the B pillars and use the metal from the hood to somehow seal off the front of the trailer.

Questions:
1) What is the gauge of steel in the frame? I am wondering if my welder is up to the task.
2) Has anyone on here done this before, and what advice do you have for me?
3) After it's stripped out, with all the hardware, interior and everything but the original rear axle and suspension removed, what kind of weight am I looking at?
4) What kind of pictures do you guys want to see?

I have no advice, but I'll leave this here in support of this wacky idea:

5c8715e3.png

Its been done before...

That one looks like they put the back 2/3 of an 80 body on a trailer - it isn't re-using the 80 frame or axle. Not a bad thing - it would certainly be lighter that way.

I built a utility trailer out of the frame and bed from an 86 mini truck. I used the existing frame and axle. Worlds great!! I did all the welding on it with a cheap Chinese 110 volt gas mig. Been using thiis welder for nearly 30 years on roof racks, bumpers, suspension, steering, motor swaps, etc. without any failures.

That one looks like they put the back 2/3 of an 80 body on a trailer - it isn't re-using the 80 frame or axle. Not a bad thing - it would certainly be lighter that way.

True, it appears like a 80 body on the frame of a trailer. Probably plenty if you are using the trailer to sleep in or haul around some camping gear, not so much if its going to be a firewood hauler or something heavy duty.

That's the trailer I saw! Is there any pics of the front? I would love some build pics.

As promised, here is what I am starting with. I have been tearing it apart this summer, and have been amazed by the sheer volume of parts on this thing. To wonder it weighs so much. Most of the parts are in my basement now. Next move is to pull the engine and transfer case and tranny all at once. The factory manual has be key in the dismantling process. I think I may just do it at the firewall, because the fabrication would be much easier. My main concern with that would be tongue weight though.

I have some obvious body work to do. Probably going to weld a least a couple of the door shut...

20170817_172413.jpg

20170817_172509.jpg

20170817_172433.jpg

Back in the day.. I made a trailer out of a FJ40 to tow behind my 40.. it was super cool! but heavy! I just cut it at the A pillar, boxed the front in and added a stinger. I used the 40 frame and put a 5k lb trailer axle in it with electric brakes.

If I was going to use it for gear or an RTT, I would cut it off just in front of the rear doors (B pillar), then find the rear section of another 80 and install another rear lift gate (Cut off in front of the "D" pillar) and tail gate on the FRONT. This way, I could open it up all the way front to back, or leave it open in the rear, or access from the front or the side doors. It could still be powered to have the power windows go up/down in the rear if you wanted or could sleep in the trailer.

I would change it to leaf springs and a straight trailer axle with electric brakes. Place a RTT on it with lights all the way around, I would also install leveler jacks on all 4 corners so I could level it if necessary. If I carry OBA, I may consider long air cylinders in each corner for my leveling jacks with a valve control box and a lockout. The cylinders could be buried up inside the body panels. Extra battery for a fridge, LOTS of options.

One of my options would be a wheelchair ramp to go out the back and place the WC INSIDE the rear. They call them "Joey Lifts" This way, we could bring our son along and he would have everything he needs.
The wheels and tires would HAVE to match the tow rig. I would carry (2) spares under the frame. Maybe have a sub-tank. By the time I was done, the trailer would weigh more than the truck! But I could unhook it, place a boot on it, and go wheeling for the day and come back to the camp site.

So I'm pulling the front axle off and found this thing. I thought it was a breather, but its connected to the brake system somehow. ?????

20170826_114540.jpg

I thought about doing something like this, since I had a parts rig. I ended up scraping the body, since it was pretty rusted. To give you an idea on weight, the body is around 600lbs. The frame is probably another 400 lbs (approximately).

My $0.02, sell the frame, and swap that body onto a trailer frame. Then go Timbren axleless setup. The weight savings and performance will offset the weight of the body and gear. Otherwise you're looking at close to 1k empty weight for the trailer, plus gear.

I'm curious how you end up doing this, since I've had similar ideas. Post lots of pics for us to copy your ideas :)

I thought about doing something like this, since I had a parts rig. I ended up scraping the body, since it was pretty rusted. To give you an idea on weight, the body is around 600lbs. The frame is probably another 400 lbs (approximately).

My $0.02, sell the frame, and swap that body onto a trailer frame. Then go Timbren axleless setup. The weight savings and performance will offset the weight of the body and gear. Otherwise you're looking at close to 1k empty weight for the trailer, plus gear.

I'm curious how you end up doing this, since I've had similar ideas. Post lots of pics for us to copy your ideas :)

I frequently pull a military Hummer trailer on the trail for repair projects. It weighs 1500# empty. I can hardly tell it is behind me on the road or on the trail. For big repair projects we load it with about 3000# of rock. I certainly do notice it behind me when loaded on the trail, but rarely do I have any problems getting it to where the trail damage is at. Knowing how to 2 pedal and maintaining your momentum is critical. If your going to take a trailer offroad, you need the largest tires possible.

@Dudleyfj40 has a cool 40 trailer. Excellent setup. Maybe he can post some pics and give you an idea what he did.

I would not cut it at the B pillar, maybe just get rid of the motor compartment and keep the entire cabin intact. That way you can have plenty of room inside to sleep and store everything else you need.

So here's an update on my trailer build. I decided to actually just cut it at the b-pillar. If I hadn't done that, I would have way too much tongue weight on the thing. as it is it's still pretty heavy on the tongue but not quite as bad. so I had some extra fenders from an old Miata. I'm using the hood for the front of the trailer. I'll use a lot of sheet metal that I'm going to need to cut & fill in around the edges to make it watertight, but in the end I think it'll be better looking then just using the whole cab. Don't judge the welding too much, I kind of suck.I'm going to get it as close as I can and then pretty much Bondo everything and sand it down.

IMG_20190129_194933.jpg

IMG_20190129_194938.jpg

I have been welding like crazy. The front is all welded shut (98%) at least. I have a problem though. I need to figure out how to seal my welds. This thing will leak like a sieve if I don't. Anyway, I want to be able to paint it afterwards. Or should I just paint it white and use a white sealer? So Metal+ hot sun+ outdoors all winter+ paintable? Does such a material exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom