Is it easy, or even possible (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a deal on a 97 with possible engine problems, and I have a spare drivetrain from a 94. Not sure the condition of it, but is it possible to swap the whole shebang?

(found a 97 that needs a 'new timing set', but starts and runs)

I guess I could buy it and actually try to figure out whats wrong with it.

I found a deal on a 97 with possible engine problems, and I have a spare drivetrain from a 94. Not sure the condition of it, but is it possible to swap the whole shebang?

(found a 97 that needs a 'new timing set', but starts and runs)

I guess I could buy it and actually try to figure out whats wrong with it.

Anything's possible with enough time and money.

The primary differences are the interior dash and headliner are different. The 94 is OBD1 which has less sensors and less wiring than the OBD2 97. The 97 has a better headliner.

Buy the 97, figure out what's wrong with it and rebuild the engine if necessary.

Yea, the OBD was my main concern.

Your question is implying taking another 80 series off the road and into the crusher. Most will have an opinion on that. I love the 80 series and hate to seem them become "parts rigs" with an eventual recycling date. The good side of that common approach is that the more 80s that get crushed the less there are and the more valuable they become. That's terrible logic though. When Obama did that cash for clunkers thing a while back the XJ (Jeep Cherokee) world lost a HUGE junk of the rigs out there. Immediately following was a gigantic jump in prices on XJs. I think the 80 series world is just taking the slow approach to the same trend.
In regards to the drivetrain swap; my buddy did almost that exact same thing with a 93 and 97. There were some extra sensors and hoses that had spliced into and transferred over or cut/capped off but nothing crazy. I don't remember it being a huge issue. I don't remember what he did with the OBDI/OBDII issue. I will have to give him a call and find out. If it was me; I would do everything in my power to keep both rigs on the road and use the sell of one to fund the build of the other.

Last edited:
The long block is the same, pretty much, to swap an OBD1 into a later rig, even the pans, timing chain need to come off and to change to the later stuff. The transmission is different, likely better to fix the motor it has?

Tools, did the later model ECU throw faults due to the older engine not having sensors like a knock sensor? Or did your friend bring over the original ECU? If so, did the old trans shift Ok with the new ECU?

OBD in itself isn't such of an issue but you will want to ensure you have the OBD1 check connector. OBDII adds some sensors not used on the older engine and outputs more comprehensive faults over CAN that can be accessed with a scan tool under the dash.

Your question is implying taking another 80 series off the road and into the crusher.

The parts rig has already been crashed with so much body damage, it wouldn't be worth fixing. I am actually eyeing this thing to replace my wife's minivan. I think I am looking more are fixing the engine as is for now, I am going to take a look at it pretty soon, and will let y'all know if I get it.

The parts rig has already been crashed with so much body damage, it wouldn't be worth fixing. I am actually eyeing this thing to replace my wife's minivan. I think I am looking more are fixing the engine as is for now, I am going to take a look at it pretty soon, and will let y'all know if I get it.
If it's already a goner then hopefully it's sacrifice will save the lives of a few 80's that are on the vital organs needed list.

Tools, did the later model ECU throw faults due to the older engine not having sensors like a knock sensor? Or did your friend bring over the original ECU? If so, did the old trans shift Ok with the new ECU?

OBD in itself isn't such of an issue but you will want to ensure you have the OBD1 check connector. OBDII adds some sensors not used on the older engine and outputs more comprehensive faults over CAN that can be accessed with a scan tool under the dash.

The swap/cobbled rig that we deal with is titled as a '94, frame and axles are that vintage, has a LX body and 40th interior, so is parts of at least 3 rigs. But the engine, transmission, harness, ecu, dash, etc, are all OBD2. It worked, didn't code, he bought it cheap, gave it to his son to drive, who wrecked it. He buys lots of cars, my guess, the motor, etc, will soon be in yet another rig.:hillbilly:

Big fan of OBD2, see zero logic in swapping to OBD. The biggest challenge to updating a OBD motor is the crank angle sensor, they don't have it. The sensor lives in the upper pan, so that has to be swapped. The ring that triggers it lives on the front of the crank, behind the timing chain. To swap that stuff, the motor is half way apart, might as well fix the problem it has?

1k USD, I drove it and it runs, but pretty rough. It idles great, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on. The guy says he took it somewhere in the compressions good. No lockers but the body is really straight. Standard wear and tear for this vintage on the interior leather seats which are pretty cracked. About 250,000 miles. I don't know if I want another project, but I might resell it. What do you guys think?

20170824_180619-1.jpg

20170824_180557-1.jpg

20170824_180633-1.jpg

Interior shot

20170824_180605.jpg

It's a 40th anniversary edition, so there's some real value in some of the small things, like the badges, but that cruiser has a lot of life left in it, and isn't a scrapper by any means.

Flares are already working themselves off, so you may as well help them along. Fix it up and drive it. $1k was a steal.

Well, I haven't bought it... Yet. Gotta wait until the bank opens in the morning. The other thing is that it leaks oil, like alot, from the front end. Come to think of it, I should probably check the radiator for oil... hmmmm.

The swap/cobbled rig that we deal with is titled as a '94, frame and axles are that vintage, has a LX body and 40th interior, so is parts of at least 3 rigs. But the engine, transmission, harness, ecu, dash, etc, are all OBD2. It worked, didn't code, he bought it cheap, gave it to his son to drive, who wrecked it. He buys lots of cars, my guess, the motor, etc, will soon be in yet another rig.:hillbilly:

Big fan of OBD2, see zero logic in swapping to OBD. The biggest challenge to updating a OBD motor is the crank angle sensor, they don't have it. The sensor lives in the upper pan, so that has to be swapped. The ring that triggers it lives on the front of the crank, behind the timing chain. To swap that stuff, the motor is half way apart, might as well fix the problem it has?

Awesome insight. I don't see any benefit to going backwards either. I suppose if you are in a non-smog state and absolutely never intend your truck to live in a smog state maybe in some cases it could work out but newer is better all around.

Keep the 97 in tact and repair as necessary. You won't get ahead by going backwards.

My accountant and better half said I would have to pass. She is worried I am becoming a hoarder. A land cruiser hoarder. I thought of myself as a museum curator more than hoarder, but whatever. I guess I have to finish one project before I start another. PM me if you want to buy it, I can send you contact information for the guy selling. Location Casper Wy.

It's been sold per the guy selling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom