Aftermarket wheel confusion. Need guidance. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Always take an opportunity to pic whore, right?

full

I got these from Black Rhino. They are 17x9 aluminum, -12mm offset, 111mm (I think centerbore, but I could be off by a few mm here or there)

I find offset to be the better indicator of what I'm getting when looking at wheels. Offset is how much the mounting surface is moved away from the centerline of the wheel, while backspace is measured from the inside edge of the wheel to the mounting surface. An offset of 0 (factory for most vehicles is 0mm) would mean that your wheel is about the same point to the center as the original wheel is. In my case, being -12mm, mounting surface is 12mm closer to the inside, so my wheel/tire is 12mm (1/2") further out from the truck. Which, with the 315s, ends up being a pretty nice stance in my opinion.

Now, backspace for this wheel would be around 4" I think (9" wide rim/2 = 4.5" - 0.5"). If I was shopping for a different width of wheel, i.e. 8" wide, I would need to look for something with 3.5" backspace to get the same effect. 10" wide wheel, I need 4.5". A whole 'nother set of things to think about when buying. Offset remains the same measurement though, I find it easier when browsing. :meh:

The wheels use the acorn nuts, but it's still using the hub as well. The trucks have a 106mm hub on them, but this wheel's centerbore is 111mm or something. You can now buy adapter rings that fit over the hub so you can still hub-center the wheel. I contacted the wheel manufacturer about proper ring sizes, and they made sure that the set I ordered would come with them for free. They also put me in contact directly with the Canadian distributor so I was able to buy them at wholesale pricing. Saved like $50/wheel over the best price I could find from any retail outfit.

Adaptor rings are available for pretty cheap online anyway, so as long as the wheel you're looking at is bigger than 106mm, go nuts.
Thank you for the in-depth explanation. :beer:

I second using Dustin at FN. I have some BFD's on my Tacoma and I'll either put 5-stars or Countersteer Offroads on my LC. I've had a pretty large burn-rate lately that has stifled my spending on extra vehicles, but I like that his wheels aren't complicated with lots of little openings where mud/dirt stick. My BFD's are really easy to clean.

FN Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom