Rear-seat Video Screen Removal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't seen pics of the '18 screen free seats and wonder if they come screen-ready with a delete plate.

I bet it's a entirely different seat. One seat to accommodate screens and one seat that's normal without the bracing and wiring. But, would be nice if they have plate!

With any luck, the delete plate is upholstered to match the seat. Though you are probably right and it's a different seat back.

I bet it's a entirely different seat. One seat to accommodate screens and one seat that's normal without the bracing and wiring. But, would be nice if they have plate!

Stopped by a local car stereo shop this afternoon and talked with the guys there about removing the screens. Will take the truck back next week to leave it with them for a day to figure out the best way to cover that space. Once I have more info, I'll pass it along!

Stopped by a local car stereo shop this afternoon and talked with the guys there about removing the screens. Will take the truck back next week to leave it with them for a day to figure out the best way to cover that space. Once I have more info, I'll pass it along!

Let them know they could get some sales for a good solution. You are at least the 6th MUD member to attempt to get someone to do this since the fall of last year and almost everyone with a 16-17 LC would buy in. Nothing has come of any yet. It's really an awkward shaped hole to work with.

A matching leather piece with a USB outlet or two for the tablet that'll be mounted above and to charge a cellphone could eventually sell a thousand sets, or roughly 20% of the 16/17 fleet...

A matching leather piece with a USB outlet or two for the tablet that'll be mounted above and to charge a cellphone could eventually sell a thousand sets, or roughly 20% of the 16/17 fleet...

This is pretty much exactly was I was thinking. My only concern (and it's due to my lack of auto upholstery knowledge) is matching the leather colors. I would seriously consider something in a black plastic to match other trim in the vehicle.

Looking forward to hearing what they come up with though!

So the 2018 LC is on Toyota's site and the rear screens are, indeed, an optional package. My next LC will be a 2018+ 200 without the screens. If I wouldn't lose a ridiculous amount of money I'd be trading my 4 month old 2016 in tomorrow. That's how much I absolutely HATE those screens. If I'd known they'd be getting rid of them in two short years I would have waited, but I just figured screens would always be part of the deal. They are one of the worst design mistakes I've ever seen. They are right in the face of the rear passengers and they interfere with folding the 2nd row. Can you tell I really hate them?

So the 2018 LC is on Toyota's site and the rear screens are, indeed, an optional package. My next LC will be a 2018+ 200 without the screens. If I wouldn't lose a ridiculous amount of money I'd be trading my 4 month old 2016 in tomorrow. That's how much I absolutely HATE those screens. If I'd known they'd be getting rid of them in two short years I would have waited, but I just figured screens would always be part of the deal. They are one of the worst design mistakes I've ever seen. They are right in the face of the rear passengers and they interfere with folding the 2nd row. Can you tell I really hate them?
The only reason I didn't trade up from my 11, those god awful screens.

Make the covers black hard plastic. I'm in. Hate those screens....thats not really fair since I have never ridden in the back, but you know what I mean.

If you hate them that much, just buy '18 seatbacks.

I wouldn't buy an '18 with the potential for the 300 being a '19 or '20 model. That's just my thinking though.

Reactions: OSS
If you hate them that much, just buy '18 seatbacks.

I wouldn't buy an '18 with the potential for the 300 being a '19 or '20 model. That's just my thinking though.

Well, I was thinking that there would eventually be an aftermarket cover to get rid of them, but since they only exist for two model years I doubt anyone will waste the time. Push comes to shove, I'll just pull the screens out and leave the open wounds.

Bringing this thread back up. I know I saw somewhere that a member had actually got a local upholstery shop to make a cover for where these screens were removed. However, it wasn't in this thread and now I cannot find it for the life of me. I'm now trying to get up with that member for some additional photos. Anyone?

Bringing this thread back up. I know I saw somewhere that a member had actually got a local upholstery shop to make a cover for where these screens were removed. However, it wasn't in this thread and now I cannot find it for the life of me. I'm now trying to get up with that member for some additional photos. Anyone?

It's post #17 in this thread. @Brushie hasn't been back on the forum for a long time. I contacted the shop that did this work directly myself and they decided it was not worth their time to make more (too low a sales potential). So, I think this is a dead end. However, if you are looking for photos of possibilities for covers, see post #17.

2016 TLC build

It's post #17 in this thread. @Brushie hasn't been back on the forum for a long time. I contacted the shop that did this work directly myself and they decided it was not worth their time to make more (too low a sales potential). So, I think this is a dead end. However, if you are looking for photos of possibilities for covers, see post #17.

2016 TLC build

Thanks. I was hoping to get some closeups - sent the member a PM in hopes of some more. I have a pretty shop in town and will try to see what I can come up with.

Thanks. I was hoping to get some closeups - sent the member a PM in hopes of some more. I have a pretty shop in town and will try to see what I can come up with.

He hasn't been on MUD since last June.

As I've noted elsewhere, if a shop comes up with a nice solution, they will sell.

Hey guys. I am currently finishing up work on the 200 series drawer systems. I'm going to take a look at this issue and see if I can come up with a solution for you guys.
I'd ABSOLUTELY be interested in something like the original member decided to get done. I've got 4 kids and these damn monitors are like the "red button" that say "do not touch"!!!!! They just can't help themselves.

-Chris

+1, I just bought a 2015 instead of a 16/17 because of these stupid screens. I was considering buying a 16/17 anyway and having a carpenter make up some nice wood inserts but ultimately did not want to take the chance that the wood plugs wouldn't work or look right. Who gets rear seat entertainment systems anyway these days? Doesn't everyone who needs this have an iPad or similar?

+1, I just bought a 2015 instead of a 16/17 because of these stupid screens. I was considering buying a 16/17 anyway and having a carpenter make up some nice wood inserts but ultimately did not want to take the chance that the wood plugs wouldn't work or look right. Who gets rear seat entertainment systems anyway these days? Doesn't everyone who needs this have an iPad or similar?
We would use them, here and there, but the idea of being able to remove them and not have a gaping hole for 90% of our driving is preferred. Really hoping @TrekboxX can find a good solution.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom