Aftermarket Wheel Thread (non Toyota, non TRD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, I'll ask the 'newb' question. Am I gunna get grief with...lets say a '16 plated 200 series with 285/70 R17 wheels/ rim combo.

I'm asking as to wheel 'rub'. If I pull the trigger on purchasing a ' cruiser it's with what we have here in oz called salary sacrificing. Long story short...you nominate a vehicle with all the 'goodies' you want, and as long as it's legal, and safety compliant...hence the question re: tyres/rims combo...it's yours.

285/70R17 on Rock Warriors with +50 offset are known to fit without rubbing. If you stick with a +50 offset wheel and BFG T/A KO2 tires in 285/70R17 you'll be fine. Other tires in the same size may rub.

Most slight rubbing from another tire manufacturer in that size likely can be dealt with by removing mud flaps and trimming some plastic fender liner.

I have +25 offset 17" Icon Six Speed wheels. My tires are 1/2" (12.5mm) taller in radius (285/75R17) and they rubbed a LOT. I had to remove the front mud flaps, trim a lot of the black plastic in front of the wheels, and heat/reshape the plastic that was near/behind the mud flaps.

I have the rock warriors with 285/70/17 mud terrain km2's on the LX. They don't rub but come pretty close to the mud flaps when wheels are turned all the way. Good clearance on the rest of the liner. I'm not sure if this would be the same for the LC. Perhaps the km2's are the same size as the k02's.

finally have decent pics to share of the new Volks and the 35x11.5x20 ridge grapplers - really impressed with the tires, and loving the rims once they got some dirt and dust on them....

The rims are 20x 9.5 Et 55 - I'm using a 10mm spacer in front and 1.5" in rear...

the Volks being forged are just over 24 lbs... helps offset the extra tire weight a bit.

ihpone CO sunday 7.16.17 234.JPG
ihpone CO sunday 7.16.17 231.JPG
ihpone CO sunday 7.16.17 243.JPG
ihpone CO sunday 7.16.17 237.JPG

ihpone CO sunday 7.16.17 243.JPG

11/2 inch spacers and they still tuck nicely.

Looks great!

I must say they do look the goods TexAz. Just a thought you might want to be a little careful when airing down with those 35/20s - especially in softish sand. Lcs are bloody heavy and don't need a whole lot of convincing to roll off an 18 or even a 17" rim if pressures are down around 18 psi or less and the front end gets a bit of sideways bite, and with 20" rims you have increased the potential sideways force on the bead significantly. Then again, I suppose since they are almost 35s overall they do have a bit of meat left in sidewall height. Are you considering gearing down to 4.88s?

Last edited:
finally have decent pics to share of the new Volks and the 35x11.5x20 ridge grapplers - really impressed with the tires, and loving the rims once they got some dirt and dust on them....

The rims are 20x 9.5 Et 55 - I'm using a 10mm spacer in front and 1.5" in rear...

the Volks being forged are just over 24 lbs... helps offset the extra tire weight a bit.

View attachment 1497988 View attachment 1497989 View attachment 1497990 View attachment 1497993

View attachment 1497992

Looks great!! Looks like you're having fun out there!

I must say hey do look the goods TexAz. Just a thought you might want to be a little careful when airing down with those 35/20s - especially in softish sand. Lcs are bloody heavy and don't need a whole lot of convincing to roll off an 18 or even a 17" rim if pressures are down around 18 psi or less and the front end gets a bit of sideways bite, and with 20" rims you have increased the potential sideways force on the bead significantly. Then again, I suppose since they are almost 35s overall they do have a bit of meat left in sidewall height. Are you considering gearing down to 4.88s?

I believe he has 4.88's already.

Yep - have the 4.88's...... very glad I did that for this trip ! with the power loss at alitude and some of the long inclines it really makes a HUGE difference.

Gonna through out an opinion question.

Thinking of sell my five rock warriors for Evo Corse.

I need just about 10mm more offset and could have zero rub (as in full crazy flexed out and steering locked) with 295/70r17s.

Gonna through out an opinion question.

Thinking of sell my five rock warriors for Evo Corse.

I need just about 10mm more offset and could have zero rub (as in full crazy flexed out and steering locked) with 295/70r17s.

I do wish Rock Warriors were about 35-40mm. The extra 10-15 would definitely help with 35's.

Just installed Method NVs with Falken Wildpeak ATW3s in 285/65R18. Very minor rubbing at full lock, but hope that goes away with strut spacers.

fMD7VMW.jpg

You don’t have a profile shot down the side of the SUV by chance do you? Just wondering how much the tires stick out pass the fenders... any trimming?

Thanks

It is very nearly flush. Tini protrusion. I had inner lining rubbing on full lock and only in reverse. I dremmelled that part of the lining.

IMG_8490.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

Will those tuck correctly at full articulation? I don't have enough experience seeing how the axle and wheel travel in the wheel well when fully compressed to know, thus curious. It looks fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom