Dizzy questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

As chronicled here (Side, pan and main gaskets... Oh My!) I'm replacing several gaskets including the side cover gasket. I had to pull the dizzy to replace this gasket and so I now have a good look at it (and it doesn't look great). Would appreciate your help with the following questions:

1. It was leaking oil from the distributor and I've ordered a new o-ring. The old one is in a slot on the shaft (vs. being between the flange and the mating surface on the block)... is that the right location?
  2. The inside of the dizzy looks rusty and rough - is there anything I can / should do to clean it up (oil, etc.) before I reinstall it and is it worth reinstallation?
  3. Shouldn't their have been a gasket / seal / etc. between the dizzy cap and body? I didn't have one which might explain the rusty inside of the dizzy?
Thanks and pics below!

35915945863_e74abd3b5a_b.jpg

36586356491_c7d9ac67dd_b.jpg

35890525414_60bcb9a63f_b.jpg

What year is your dizzy off of? I would clean it with spray safe for electrical components and air.

I't s '78 @shawnfj40 - Should I grease it in any way?

Thanks!

Check and make sure your vacuum advance works.

I don't recall a cap gasket on your model, but lots of off road racers silicone glue wires to cap, cap to dizzy for water proofing- - -just saying.

Does yours have the octane adjuster?

All my dizzy's have had an O-ring in that slot. As you probably know the dissy may be a bugger to re-install with a fresh fat o-ring. Lube it up good. Before you go to start your rig, you can pull the big coil wire, pull your oil pressure sender and crank the engine until you see oil squirt from the oil sender hole. I used a remote start trigger to do it solo. I've read quite a few stories about dissy's not fully seating into the oil pump.

I haven't completely pulled one apart but do recall @love2fly may have gone through one. Also FJ40Jim has posted some gems of wisdom about distributor's.

Best

I think I'd wanna disassemble that dizzy for a thorough clean up. I did so on a non-usa dizzy and it wasn't that difficult. I posted asking how to lube and didn't get a response so I just used my own judgement and used a light grease on moving parts. Just take pics as you take it apart.

Lubricating a non USA distributor

The advance/retard plate is all the really moves. Clean is the main thing. With points you lube them but not that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom