post-air filter, pre-turbo leaking oil on HDJ81 with 1HDT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wanted to see if anyone out there with a 5 speed manual HDJ81 has installed a Provent 200? I went to go install the Provent yesterday, unsuccessfully, and it looks like I'll need to be very creative in terms of a mounting bracket and positioning.

Even though I found a photo of an installation at the offroad80s.com site (Offroad 80's • View topic - Fitting a catch can to a TD. Good idea or not?) on a 5 speed manual 80 series, I could not figure out how ledgend80 (the poster of the photos) mounted it to the engine bay. I've contacted ledgend80 about it, but the thread is over 7 years old. Any suggestions?

The other complicating factor is that I am trying to have the Provent's drain outlet (i.e. the smallest outlet port at the very bottom of the unit) drain into clear hose with a small valve at the end so I can drain any oil during an oil change. It's such a tight fit between the throttle adjustment cable, brake booster, wheel well insulation, hood, and hood dashpot (small shock that holds the hood up) that I'm getting discouraged. I've seen plenty of photos of the Automatic HDJ81's with a Provent, but because of the clutch equipment, that makes it a no-go there.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Here are some photos from a thread that I saved in my computer a few years ago.

Check the original thread for more reference:

My Provent 200 Installation

ProVent0.PNG

ProVent1.PNG

ProVent2.PNG

Hey @AlbertoSD thanks for the link and photos, I appreciate it! I've actually saw that thread awhile back and while it would be perfect if I had an automatic HDJ81; instead, I've got the clutch equipment in the way (since I have a manual HDJ81) where you have the Provent mounted in those photos you posted. That's the issue for me...I can't mount the Provent where the auto transmission folks are able to :( That would be the perfect spot, argh! I'm going to try taking a piece of holey metal (not holy, ha, ha) and bend it to fit to make a custom bracket for the Provent over to the left of the brake booster (if you're looking at the brake booster like you are as shown in the photos you posted). In other words, between the brake booster and the engine bay chassis. It's a VERY tight fit for us 5-speed folks ;)

I was finally able to do the Provent 200 installation on my 5-speed HDJ81 (it's a 1991)! It took awhile to amass the right parts and fashion a mounting setup given the limited room for installation on a 5-speed :)! Unfortunately, with the manual clutch equipment located where most HDJ81 automatic transmission folks install their Provent, I wasn't able to follow the lead of most of the threads. As the previous post #21 in this thread indicates, I was able to find a set of photos of someone in Australia that had installed a Provent 200 in their 5-speed land cruiser. I took that as inspiration and was able to cobble together a decent installation.

Below are some photos of the installation for those of you out there with a 5-speed HDJ81 that want to install a Provent 200 oil catch can. I was experiencing some oil leaking at the elbow pre-turbo/post filter. I cannot comment on how the Provent 200 works yet (or how much oil I actually catch), as I just installed it and have not had a chance to drive it around with the Provent 200 installed.

Below is the space that I had to work with on the 5-speed HDJ81...you can see part of the mounting bracket already installed on the left hand side. The brake booster and the idle speed adjustment cable make it difficult to install.
View media item 58624
Here's a close up of the mounting bracket. Just a simple, cheap piece of holey metal from a hardware store. I already had a black mounting bracket that I reused after removing a previously installed Celcat "magic fairy" dust contraption (there's another thread on that...you can read all about it).
View media item 58623
And here's a close up of the Provent 200 installed, along with the rest of the mounting.
View media item 58622
Here's what the installation looks like from above
View media item 58621
Finally, here's a closeup of just how close it is to the brake booster equipment...not much room, but doable.
View media item 58620
I have a clear plastic drain tube that goes from the bottom of the Provent down to the wheel well so I can drain the caught oil when I'm changing the oil. Hopefully I won't need to drain all that much, but at least I'll know how much oil is being caught. I didn't want to mess with trying to have it drain back to the oil pan...to much to fail for now.

I'll report back once we've got some km's under our belt to show how it works :)

Hope this helps!!

I have a Radium Engineering oil catch can, works great. A little expensive but the quality is top notch. Easy to inspect and drain, no filter to replace, billet aluminum housing, billet aluminum dipstick.

Universal Single Catch Can

IMG_3828.JPG

@HRTROB , that's pretty slick! The Radium Engineering catch can looks smaller than the Provent 200. Like I said in my description, it was a pretty tight fit in my HDJ81 5-speed. You've got quite a bit of open space there in your engine bay...I'm drooling :)

Thanks for providing an alternative...it's cool to see how creative other folks can be!

@HRTROB , that's pretty slick! The Radium Engineering catch can looks smaller than the Provent 200. Like I said in my description, it was a pretty tight fit in my HDJ81 5-speed. You've got quite a bit of open space there in your engine bay...I'm drooling :)

Thanks for providing an alternative...it's cool to see how creative other folks can be!

Yup lots of space in the LHD HDJ80 5 speed. The Radium is a bit on the smaller side, capacity is about 8 oz or 236ml. I actually just ordered the bigger version that can hold almost a liter so I can go longer between inspection/draining. Going to fit the smaller can to my VDJ200 :)

Just wanted to provide an update on the Provent 200. It works great and I end up draining a bit of oil between oil changes (less than a cup over 5,000 km). The intake hose that is post-air filter / pre-turbo has stopped leaking like it did originally, so the Provent has fixed that original issue. I have put just over 30,000 km on the Provent so far and am happy with its performance.

However, I am still using more oil than I would like. We just did a long road trip (~650 miles one way) and I had to add about 800ml of oil to bring the oil level back up to the Full line of the dipstick. I ensured that before the trip the oil level on the dipstick (when cold) was at the top of the grooved pattern (i.e. full line), so I know I had sufficient oil to start with. I am using Delo 15w-40 and change my oil every 5,000 km. No burning oil smell from the exhaust. There is some oil seepage from from the intake gaskets. Any ideas here?

Last edited:
Just wanted to provide an update on the Provent 200. It works great and I end up draining a bit of oil between oil changes (less than a cup over 5,000 km). The intake hose that is post-air filter / pre-turbo has stopped leaking like it did originally, so the Provent has fixed that original issue. I have put about 40,000 km on the Provent so far and am happy with its performance.

However, I am still using more oil than I would like. We just did a long road trip (~650 miles one way) and I had to add about 800ml of oil to bring the oil level back up to the Full line of the dipstick. I ensured that before the trip the oil level on the dipstick (when cold) was at the top of the grooved pattern (i.e. full line), so I know I had sufficient oil to start with. I am using Delo 15w-40 and change my oil every 5,000 km. No burning oil smell from the exhaust. There is some oil seepage from from the intake gaskets. Any ideas here?

Oil seepage from the IM gaskets is an indicator that your IM bolts are loosened off and/or the gaskets are dried out and shrunken. I replaced the gaskets and bolt seats and retorqued mine a couple years ago, some of those bolts were only finger tight! If oil can get past, so can your boost charge. I'd address that sooner than later. It involves removing the IP to injector hardlines, but is otherwise not a terrible job, just keep track of how the hardlines are routed.

As for oil consumption, you've concluded it's going somewhere other than out the valvecover vent. The oil at your IM gaskets will be the same oil that was venting from the valve cover, there's really no where else for it to come from, so we'll call that the same issue, which you've resolved. If you have no other oil leaks, then it's likely being consumed by the engine.

Thanks @IanB ... would it be worth my time to try venting the valve cover breather to the open atmosphere (rather than have the Provent) to see if this alleviates the issue?

For @franklin40 venting has seemed to solve his issue of having to top up on oil in between changes (see another blow by question ).

Thanks @IanB ... would it be worth my time to try venting the valve cover breather to the open atmosphere (rather than have the Provent) to see if this alleviates the issue?

For @franklin40 venting has seemed to solve his issue of having to top up on oil in between changes (see another blow by question ).

Worth your time? It would take about 2 min and a length of hose, so sure. It can't hurt anything but leak oil on your driveway.

Thanks @tweeek, that is helpful! Can you provide any estimate as to what your oil consumption was like before bypassing the catch can? Just trying to get a frame of reference here. And does your rig have the original 1HD-T, or a rebuilt 1HD-T (same engine, just rebuilt)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom