Spray Painting Engine Components (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there is a high temperature (~250 C) resistant paint that is used on engine blocks; but what about the secondary components within the engine bay. Say for example :
  • PS Pump Tank
  • Air Filter Housing
  • Radiator Fan Shorad
  • Engine Cooling Pipes
2017-08-19 16.11.04.jpg

I just finished cleaning these and am really tempted to just give them a nice coat of spray paint. I'm thinking of using normal black spray paint as these components should not experience the "high" engine temperatures.

I have sprayed some minor engine brackets / supports and did not have any issues.

Any suggestions?

Live in a city with a metal finishing business nearby?

All those parts should be blasted and cad plated.

In the process of rebuilding my 78 FJ40LV-KCJA and I'm using Dupli-color Engine enamel with ceramic good for 500 degrees.
I'm rather pleased with its finish

My favorite is the epoxy paint in a spray can at Autozone. It sticks well and it's durable. It is in a purple and black can. I have used it on air cooled cars including a turbo car and it looks good and seems to lasts. This is my go to paint.

I just bought that middle oil cooler pipe on your picture brand new from Racer 65 for about 40,-$ I think....

Live in a city with a metal finishing business nearby?

All those parts should be blasted and cad plated.

I wouldn't recommend blasting if you're omg to plate them. It'll leave a rough surface and take away from that pretty freshly played shine.

I'd definitely blast them if you're gong to paint them, however. Those parts are definitely not ready for paint.

I wouldn't recommend blasting if you're omg to plate them. It'll leave a rough surface and take away from that pretty freshly played shine.

Depends entirely on the blast media size. I've been using a fine coal slag media from Tractor Supply (Black Diamond), and when they come back from the platers, they've got plenty of good shine!

IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG

Summit sells a high heat engine paint that's actually made by Sherman Williams. I've used it in many high heat applications and works well. I did our wood stove five years ago and no sign of any deterioration.

I used VHT high-temperature engine enamel on a lot of my parts and baked them under brooder lamps from Tractor Supply for 2+ hours. I like the way they turned out.

for those kinds of parts i normally just spray normal paint, but i would spend some more time with some wet and dry paper and cleaning up those parts. you are also going to want to use a couple of light coats rather than 1 heavy coat. my $0.02, and given i dont get access to high heat paints here

Depends entirely on the blast media size. I've been using a fine coal slag media from Tractor Supply (Black Diamond), and when they come back from the platers, they've got plenty of good shine!

View attachment 1522466 View attachment 1522467 View attachment 1522468 View attachment 1522469

View attachment 1522466 View attachment 1522467 View attachment 1522468 View attachment 1522469

Those parts look nice, but a smooth surface will provide the bright, shiny surface found on new plated parts. The smoother the surface you start with, the nicer the finished product. I recommend a tumbler or wire wheel.

well opted for the dirty cheap spray paint method; might not be the best but sufficient for now. but will explore where i can get some sand blasting done; maybe for the other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom