Great Truck, rusted frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I just picked up a 1998 4x4 auto sr5 T100 and need some help

The good,
Immaculate interior, paint is in great shape, a/c blows cold, stereo is in great shape, all gauges work. The engine only has 105,xxx
on it. Mechanically it is near perfect. It was a one owner truck.

The bad,
I had a pre-sale inspection done. I bought from a guy in florida. I am located in Bozeman Mt. The local toyota dealer did the pre-sale inspection, I also spoke his mechanic. They both told me there was surface rust on the vehicle but the frame was in good shape, so had it shipped out to MT.
I brought it to my local mechanic last week when it arrived. He immediately called me and told me he would not even hoist it on his lift for fear of the frame would break in half. I then took it to the local toyota dealer, asked them for a basic inspection and they told me the same thing, both said not to drive the vehicle.

I am trying to figure out my options. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the frame? I am ok mechanically but not good enough to replace the frame.I was wondering about the basic cost of that. Should i just junk it? Is there some sort of law where the seller would have to take it back and give me my money back?

Thanks for the help

Ouch.
Sounds like you spent a good bit of time looking for exactly what you wanted, to have bought unseen from that far away.

Around here it's not uncommon to see 10 year old trucks completely rotted out.
You could try plating over what's left of the frame. But that's usually not the preferred option.

If replacing the frame, plan on redoing brake lines,brackets,hardware, etc.

How's the body? If that's good then it may be a candidate for a frame swap.
If the body is rotted then it's probably best as a parts truck.
Definitely not junk.

Sorry to hear that you got con'd like that.

I would research lemon laws in Florida and see what they say. Also you could call the dealer that did the inspection and raise hell, I know I would. If you go the legal route it's most likely going to be expensive and lengthy because you'll have to appear in court in Florida.

With that said, the frame swap isn't a bad idea. You could find a similar T100 that was wrecked and swap the body over. Or you could find just a frame and do the swap. It's not all that complicated it's just a lot of work. I'd check Copart.com for a wrecked T100 if you want to go that route. But in any case it's not junk, it definitely still has a lot of good parts on it and could help build the truck you've always wanted.

Hey Thanks,
I have been checking my options, I am a good enough mechanic to do the swap my self, all the quotes I have been given are between 9-15k. I am raising hell with the dealer, b/c they never mentioned it.

Pics, we need pics! Truck must have been used for launching a boat in salt water, been standing in flooded sea water, or originally from elsewhere. Otherwise, how could a Florida truck be in such bad shape?

here ya go,
IMG_6225.JPG
IMG_6228.JPG

Pretty crazy that the folks over at the toyota dealership , didnt mention this in the pre-sale inspection I paid for

Woah! Yeah I'd say that's bad.

If all your information of the pre purchase inspection is documented, it's lawsuit time. You got the inspection done to avoid such a mistake. Now you have a low mileage dangerous vehicle. Yes you could fix it with a new frame, but I think that dealer in Florida should fix it or give monetarily for your hassle you entrusted them monetarily to keep you out of but they failed to keep up their end.

Wow, thats just unacceptable that the dealership in Florida did't tell you that upfront in the presale inspection I would be ripping them one for that. Wish you the best. Worst case a frame is not that bad at all the worst part will be the brake lines and with that rust your better off with new ones anyway. Good Luck :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom