Aftermarket charcoal canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
To those that have replaced the oem charcoal canister with an aftermarket version like the ac delco or autozone, what did you do with the line that was going to the oem canister on the bottom?

FWIU, they just delete it. it is an atmospheric breather port-open to air
Thank you!

I had it in place and had to remove the canister because I was unsure!

what part number are you using for the AC Delco. I can't find the AutoZone canister

Are the 60 and 62 canisters the same?? :meh:

The OEM canisters for the 60 and 62 are different, but the aftermarket ones should work with either. Most of the aftermarket options are for fuel-injected applications and just have two ports; tank vent and intake. The original 60 canister has a third port for the carb bowl, not needed for FI. It requires a little more work to get the aftermarket canisters to work for the 60 because of this. In either case, the biggest challenge is finding one that's small enough to fit in the bracket. Both the AutoZone and AC Delco canisters require the band clamp to be opened up a little.

My 1989 FJ62 has the original canister still. I have removed the smog pump and other hoses but have not fiddled with the canister. I'll never smog it again and I like to remove stuff that serve no real purpose. Do I need to keep it..?? Is it really accomplishing anything at this point..??

My 1989 FJ62 has the original canister still. I have removed the smog pump and other hoses but have not fiddled with the canister. I'll never smog it again and I like to remove stuff that serve no real purpose. Do I need to keep it..?? Is it really accomplishing anything at this point..??

Strictly speaking, no you don't need it. It does help the tank vent properly while reducing fuel fumes and odor though. Unlike the other emissions components, it doesn't rob power and in fact may increase mileage slightly since fuel vapor absorbed by the charcoal is released and pulled into the intake where it can be burned.

As for whether it's still doing it's job, you'll have to determine that. On the 60's, the tell-tale sign that it's had it is that there's a pronounced "woosh" from the gas tank when you take the cap off to fill up due to excessive tank pressure. For $60, I think it's well worth just throwing on the AC Delco. If you decide to ditch yours, make sure your tank has a way to vent.

^^ That ^^

An old OEM charcoal canister will very likely have a sticking internal check valve that will overpressurize the gas tank. This pressure can get high enough to crack the seams of the old (not replaced) gas tanks.

When the cc is working as it should, it's an excellent tank venting system and should be used.

@bhk or @LAMBCRUSHER

To clarify, does the bottom port need to be connected for the FJ60?

No, the bottom port on the OEM canister is a vent to atmosphere. On the AC Delco, the vent is the thing on top with the cap on it. If you WANT to keep the lower vent line, I think you can remove the cap and route a line down to it.

Charcoal Canister 1.jpg

@bhk - thanks for all the help so far.

Below is the current set-up on my '87 FJ60. Looking at your pic above, it looks like you combined lines 1 and 3 (below) to go into the lower port of the new canister. Line 2 is by itself into the upper port. Just wanted to verify that this is the correct routing.

Many thanks!

Vapor.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom